SAT and MCAT corelation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
looking at this post
i should have scored like 5 points higher on mcats

sat: 1480
mcat: 30

damn, should have studied more

too late now

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by superk0725
"A GED. You know what GED stand for....Good Enough Degree"
- Chris Rock
Word good enough to get into a UC med school.

Originally posted by looseygoosey
As if this thread werent ridiculous enough someone should start a genital size/MCAT correlation thread.

Now don't tempt anyone... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
No wonder everyone on SDN gets these high MCAT scores. You all are already geniuses. A 1500 on the SAT? Come on.

Originally posted by JKDMed
IQ tests are a joke. I routinely score around 150-160 using different tests, yet my SAT was only an 1130.

Conclusion: They mean nothing.

You don't routinely score around a 150-160, because you don't routinely take properly administered tests.

1550 SAT

34 MCAT

i'm screwing up the correlation with my weak mcats

SAT SCORE: 1600
MCAT SCORE: 15 15 15
IQ: 300
GENITAL LENGTH:
10.75 inches (at ease)
14.25 inches (saluting)

All of you are a bunch of homosexuals. Specially that Lars guy. f*cking wallowing in your own scores. go DO SOMETHING in life. go get a girlfriend. go watch a movie. go do something.

i cant believe you found the linear equation of the correllation. why dont you write a book about it now?

f*ckin c*cksmoke

34 MCAT
1330 SAT

It's interesting how I got about 90th percentile on both tests

I was just talking to my friend about this 3 years ago. Basically, all these tests (except iq, which probably doesn't mean much) CAN be studied for.

I studied 6 months for SAT and got 1590. At my high school, everyone was crazy about their SAT.
In college, I was too busy screwing around and being lazy to study more than 6 weeks for MCAT, and I got a 35: 10V,13P,12B,R

Well, I have friend1 who scored 1580 on his SAT (studied hard), and studied hard for MCAT. He ended up getting 39 on his mcat. In med school, he relaxed and did not study as hard for boards to get a 245 (he's a real smart kid either way).

But get this ok, friend1 did not study for the SATs in high school, he didn't even realize he was supposed to. He scored around 1200-1300. In college, he studied MCATs with me and we both studied hard but only for 1 month and got a 34. But then he takes his board scores which he said he studied like there was no tommorow and scored 245, tying friend1 who had 39 on his MCAT.

So you see, the amount of effort you put in will make the greatest difference. Also, don't waste you effort with ****ty books, go with big names like kaplan or princeton review or berkeley review when studying. don't use like arco's or something like that.

one last note, even when talking to my attendings i try not to mention specific scores because i don't want to distance myself from others, instead i want to encourage. if you just get double digits in each category on mcats, and are well-rounded, med schools will want you. There is no medical school that will take you solely on the basis of test scores. I have a friend who got 40 on his mcat but was rejected from all UC's b/c his essay and activities showed no effort. Only if you score 43 or higher will schools consider taking you if you have zero activities.

I did read a report somewhere that over 90% of students who score greater than 30 on the ACT are accepted into med school. Never heard anything about correlation of SAT though.

SAT: fell asleep, 1250 or something
ACT: 31
MCAT: 9, 10, 8

I hate to burst any of your overachieving, overzealous bubbles, but ADCOMs don't give a rats butt about SATs...that was high school. You're not in high school anymore. They want to see what you've done since then...and not just on tests and grades.

[sorry to sound so harsh...**I** have to take step 1 of the USMLE on Saturday...I'm a little moody...you think the MCAT is tough, pooh!]

It's NOT all about the MCAT...and the quicker you figure that out, the more successful you'll be in your applications.

Originally posted by Cobragirl
I hate to burst any of your overachieving, overzealous bubbles, but ADCOMs don't give a rats butt about SATs...that was high school. You're not in high school anymore. They want to see what you've done since then...and not just on tests and grades.

That makes sense to me, but then why do they ask for our SAT and ACT scores on the secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea...maybe if they have 2 IDENTICAL applicants and they have to flip a coin. I know our ADCOM doesn't care. All I do know is that I don't have SAT/ACT or anything of the sort, yet I got into 3 of the 7 schools I applied to - and withdrew from the rest without a single rejection. Now granted, I have a little more "colorful" background than many applicants...but that's my point. It's NOT all about grades and scores on MCATs. Do the numbers matter, YOU BET...but trust me, most med school classes fill with students with much lower numbers that most of YOU all are posting. Why? Because they are REAL people. Don't make the mistake of getting so absorbed with making "perfect" scores that you forget how to be a real person. Trust me, If you don't keep an outside life going, you'll NEVER make it through med school. You HAVE to have outside interests...and that's why all those other students (students with <30 MCATS etc) are in med school - they have "lives" that make them interesting people. Not knocking anyone here, as I don't know you or your lives. Just giving helpful advice!!! Use SDN as a place to vent, to make friends, to research, whatever...but don't get sucked into some false belief that all these supposed 40+ MCATers in here are ACTUALLY getting into schools. They're not....

Is this a pat on the back thread?

It is too bad that personality isn't quantitized...I suspect some people in this forum would score well below the average.

I have no need to pat myself on the back. I already passed the personality test just fine, now didn't I? Seriously, I didn't put that in there as any sort of gratuitous remark...I was simply trying to make a point. I had no SAT or ACT scores...I never graduated HS, and finished up with a GED. I had to go to a junior college because a 4-year university wouldn't accept me with a GED. I worked hard...much harder than most of my classmates, not because I wanted to, but because I was so behind the learning curve. But I did it, I did really well, and in the end I went to medical school (with a decent MCAT and great GPA). Now, as a 3rd year, I think I'm proof positive that high school scores are pretty much irrelevent when it comes to med school.

I'm not a moderator here so that I can trod on the dreams of anyone coming up...I'm just trying to pass out some words of wisdom as someone who has gone through the ADCOM / admissions grinding mill...and lived to tell about it. :D

Maybe some ad coms ask for SAT scores as a way to get a different perspective on how an applicant generally performs on standardized exams. Good scores on both exams might mean that the applicant is a good test taker, and this would probably help them on future standardized exams.

Of course, since there are so many variables surrounding a given score, they're probably not that useful in determining any future trends. I imagine that that's why most schools don't even ask for SAT scores.

Or maybe some schools ask for SAT scores just so the kids on SDN will have something to puzzle over and fight about. :laugh:

Originally posted by Cobragirl
I had no SAT or ACT scores...I never graduated HS, and finished up with a GED. ... Now, as a 3rd year, I think I'm proof positive that high school scores are pretty much irrelevent when it comes to med school.

Word, GED= good enough degree. Good enough for you and good enough for me to get into med school too.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that had to jump the tracks, so to speak! LOL!

:D

I'm going to throw a whack into this correlation business:

1470 (710 V, 760 M) SAT
25 (9V, 8PS, 8 BS) MCAT

Originally posted by dmbkappasig1
I did read a report somewhere that over 90% of students who score greater than 30 on the ACT are accepted into med school. Never heard anything about correlation of SAT though.

SAT: fell asleep, 1250 or something
ACT: 31
MCAT: 9, 10, 8

My SAT= 1310
MCAT 27 Verbal 9, BS 8, PS 10 WS P
Current GPA 3.698 Got a C in Organic Chemistry in the soph year.

Would you please let me know what schools you are accepted by? And what schools were you given/not given interview?

I also sent you a pm.

Cobragirl,

You are ignorant and presumptuous. Why assume just because these people have good scores that a person has no life or isn't a real person?!? And how do you define life and 'personality.' I currently go to a school where my class has average mcats of 34, and I must say our class has tons of personality, and people are extremely friendly, caring, ambitious, and many are quick-witted or artsy or can freestyle! See, I've heard this complaint many times before, sometimes by my friends who had mediocre test scores. They would always whine that those with good test scores tend to be socially inept or sneaky in some way. Bull****, you don't know me!!!

As to the anon person who posted scores, I COMPLETELY agree: its a lot about how much you prepare for these standardized tests.

Daphilster,

You are a fool. Reread the posts and you will find that you are talking to the wrong person.

:rolleyes:

Well maybe there is a correlation between SAT and MCAT, but probably only on the verbal part. SAT and MCAT differ greatly in what they test, and I'm not even sure if SAT is a good predictor of college performance (Do SAT and college GPA correlate? I dunno)

The verbal part may be somewhat correlated, my SAT verbal was 620, and my MCAT verbal was 8.

Lars, your formula predicted my score exactly. (BTW, if anyone wants to know how to re-center their pre-1996 SAT score, divide it by 0.97).

My theory is that people who do well on the SAT tend to wind up at good colleges and honors programs, where they are more likely than others to wind up pre-med. The qualities that drove them to challenging (pre-med) curricula also drove them to prepare for the MCAT, as most pre-meds know what they do and do not need to study for.

Before anyone fires up a flamethrower--OBVIOUSLY this will not be true for every applicant, and OF COURSE some people will do well on one test and not the other or take a scenic route to med school.

I'd heard complaints about this thread, but it's pretty interesting.

calebho501--these tests have strong correlation to performance, as measured by grades, in their respective programs (pre-clinical only for MD); otherwise schools would not use them.

I have not taken the MCAT, but it seems as if the science/reasoning and reading/comprehension parts of the ACT would show more of a correlation than the Math/Verbal of the SAT.

Originally posted by calebho501
The verbal part may be somewhat correlated, my SAT verbal was 620, and my MCAT verbal was 8.

HAAAAA!!!! The majority of my SAT score was Math. Verbal was in the 400's somewhere (I know, real pathetic). It's a good thing I attended an engineering school. Anyway, my graduating GPA was 3.87 (3.96 PFOS/engineering with a partical masters in Microelectronics). Absolutely no correlation. I knew some 1400 and 1500's that funked out, but I think it was a motivational thing. I had classmates with 1000's who were very bright and one's with 1400's who were without a doubt dull. I never understood the SAT, but I never tried either.

FWIW, my liberal arts GPA was a 3.8 with a minor in Environmental Values and the MCAT VR was 12. Admittedly, I worked hard for that 12.

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz
calebho501--these tests have strong correlation to performance, as measured by grades, in their respective programs (pre-clinical only for MD); otherwise schools would not use them.

My guess will be statistically there is correlation for most people, but of course there are exceptions, just like some people have mentioned. I'm actually surprised that a few schools (U of Chicago Pritzker and Wake Forest, for example) asks for SAT scores...I mean, wouldn't looking at a whole undergraduate transcript + MCAT be sufficient? :p

My guess will be statistically there is correlation for most people, but of course there are exceptions, just like some people have mentioned. I'm actually surprised that a few schools (U of Chicago Pritzker and Wake Forest, for example) asks for SAT scores...I mean, wouldn't looking at a whole undergraduate transcript + MCAT be sufficient? :p

Correlation (rather than causation) implies that there will be exceptions due to unobserved heterogenity. Duke also wanted SAT scores last year, and Wash U wanted my high school GPA--sheesh!

I think I know what it is! SAT and MCAT scores are correlated by a CONFOUNDING FACTOR. It's a term I just learned in an epidemiology class. And in this case it's probably MOTIVATION or INTELLIGENCE

1. Confounding factor has to be an independent causation factor (Motivation or intelligence usually "causes" high MCAT scores)

2. Confounding factor has to be associated with the apparent cause (Motivation or intelligence correlates with SAT scores)

3. Confounding factor is not a result of the apparent cause (High SAT scores do not "cause" high motivation or high intelligence)

:)

I think I know what it is! SAT and MCAT scores are correlated by a CONFOUNDING FACTOR. It's a term I just learned in an epidemiology class. And in this case it's probably MOTIVATION or INTELLIGENCE

1. Confounding factor has to be an independent causation factor (Motivation or intelligence usually "causes" high MCAT scores)

2. Confounding factor has to be associated with the apparent cause (Motivation or intelligence correlates with SAT scores)

3. Confounding factor is not a result of the apparent cause (High SAT scores do not "cause" high motivation or high intelligence)

:)

thats exactly what i was thinking except you phrased it better

VienneseWaltz glad you thought the equation was cool

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz
Correlation (rather than causation) implies that there will be exceptions due to unobserved heterogenity. Duke also wanted SAT scores last year, and Wash U wanted my high school GPA--sheesh!

Eeeek! Like Cobragirl, I also didn't finish highschool. I think my gpa was probably somewhere around 1.0 when I left! Well, hopefully my current gpa will look stellar in comparison! :laugh:

Nanon

Late to the game, but i guess i'll play too.

1480 (750V, 730M)
32R (10V,10B,12P)

[BI'm actually surprised that a few schools (U of Chicago Pritzker and Wake Forest, for example) asks for SAT scores...I mean, wouldn't looking at a whole undergraduate transcript + MCAT be sufficient? :p [/B]

Yeah, my Wake Forest interviewer told me my SAT was too low...even though my MCAT is fine... (39, 1080). I tried to explain that I took the SAT when I was 15, and I was high during the test, but then he said, "yes...your committee letter said you were an ex-pothead...just like Clinton--we don't like your kind here"

So I was like, "why did I get an interview then?" So he says, "well, they got some Northerners with some reckless ideas workin' in that admissions office..."

so i guess this all means something, but i'm too high to say what...

1530 (770M, 760V)
39S (14P, 14B, 11V)

SAT 860 (4??, 4??)
GRE 1990
MCAT 30 (12V, 10B, 8P)

How is that for a correlation.

SAT 1110 (never studied, didn't care about going to college at the time)

GRE 2010 (studied some, but not as much as I should have, I felt. My math score sucked.)

MCAT 30O (PS 9, VR 11, BS 10), no practice on writing sample, obviously. :) LOTS of Examkrackers study on the science sections, but it's been several years since I had the classes so I was a little rusty.

Originally posted by Lars Ulrich
MCAT = 0.016 * SAT + 11.5

this is based on the data provided be the new and old (thank you sistakaren) threads. non-recentered scores were ignored, as were posts indicating 1600/43-45.

what the equation translates to is...

1600.....37.1+

when looking at an individual's scores there may appear to be no corelation, but when many people's scores are considered together a beautiful relation emerges

now lets do high school GPA corelation with college GPA, then you'll be able to use the equation....

(GPA-2) * MCAT * (1.1 if ages 18-26) * (1.25 if URM) = index

(from "Mathematical formula for odds of Acceptance" thread)

to predict which medical school you will go to while still a junior in high school. :laugh:

Holy crap! This predicted my score almost exactly. I don;t know who has more time on their hands, me for cjhecking out premed threads or you for figuring this out. Take it with a grain of salt--don't let these # become a self filfilling prophecy.

Funny, I've never taken the SAT, but I teach it for PR. :)

ACT: 27, 28, 29, 30, 31.... 33 (yes I took the bitch 6 times, but not many people can say they got a 33 while suspended from high school)

MCAT: 25... 32 (no more!)

that equation didnt work for me. how sucky.

Hmm. That would mean you need *grabs calculator* an SAT of 2094 to get a 45...:laugh:

But I wouldn't expect too much correlation. There are going to be differences in motivation (significant in many people) and test-taking skills (probably less variable, but still a confounder) that show up over ~4 years.

Also, high school tests in general don't test the same stuff. They either attempt to be aptitude tests, or they're focused and comprehensive. The MCAT felt like a technical writing test more than anything else.

But - if I had to predict based on HS, I'd think some formula involving ACT science and SAT verbal would do the best job.

That equation predicted my MCAT score right.

SAT 1180 (530 VR, 650 MATH) Didn't study at all and I have known English for only 3 years before I took the exam (ESL).

MCAT 29 (7VR, 11PS, 11BS) Studied a lot but verbal was too much for me to handle (I was actually getting 9's and 10's on practice verbal.......go figure!).

There has to be something wrong with the formula if you cant get above a 37 on the MCAT according to it.

Then again, I really dont believe there is a visible correlation with the skewed sample size of SDNers who voluntarily report their stats (ie... people with high stats will want to report their stats, others with lower scores wont). But whatever floats your boat.

A simple linear formula can never perfectly correlate the MCAT and SAT. Once you start getting into the top 5% of MCAT scores (i.e. 35+), correctly/incorrectly marking just a couple of answers can significantly affect your performance. Guessing becomes a big factor. The same principle holds for the SAT. In general, though, I wager that there should be a slightly positive correlation on the SAT and MCAT, since those motivated enough to do well on the SAT should theoretically be motivated to do well on other standardized tests as well.

TF

Originally posted by TheFlash
A simple linear formula can never perfectly correlate the MCAT and SAT. Once you start getting into the top 5% of MCAT scores (i.e. 35+), correctly/incorrectly marking just a couple of answers can significantly affect your performance. Guessing becomes a big factor. The same principle holds for the SAT. In general, though, I wager that there should be a slightly positive correlation on the SAT and MCAT, since those motivated enough to do well on the SAT should theoretically be motivated to do well on other standardized tests as well.

TF

true...