Single mom and Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking23

Reaction score
I am a single mom of two young children and I have no family help as far as baby sitting .So I would have to hire a nanny. I just wanted to know if I could get through medical school???? Honest opinions please...I am in college now and I have to take my next step which will either be this or Psychology. Would I be able to work full time and attend med school? And is there a high chance I won't get in the first time around? Can I do this alone with kids?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a single mom of two young children and I have no family help as far as baby sitting .So I would have to hire a nanny. I just wanted to know if I could get through medical school???? Honest opinions please...I am in college now and I have to take my next step which will either be this or Psychology. Would I be able to work full time and attend med school? And is there a high chance I won't get in the first time around? Can I do this alone with kids?
You will not be able to work full time and attend Med school. The curriculum is just too demanding. Med school is set up so that it becomes your daily 9-5 (actually more hours than that). As far as you not getting in the first time around, that depends on your science GPA, MCAT score, apps/interview skills and some other factors.

Now for the question about kids in school. To answer your question in short, yes I think it can be done. I think the real issue to ponder is whether or not this is something you can handle. You will be sacrificing seeing and being with your kids more than most single moms. And the pressure of not having the extra support may be emotionally and financially burdensome. Medical school already adds such a large emotional and financial burden that this may not be something you want to put you or your kids through. I know single moms at my Med school. But I believe most of them have only 1 kid and they have family that will help in some way.

As an MD3, knowing what I know now about Med school, I personally would not raise 2 kids alone while in school. the time is simply not there to do it and the sacrifices for my kids would be too great. After taking in everyone’s advice, this is a decision you need to be at peace with within yourself. Because when things get hard (and they will) you have to KNOW that you made the right decision for your family.

Reactions: 2 users
You will not be able to work full time and attend Med school. The curriculum is just too demanding. Med school is set up so that it becomes your daily 9-5 (actually more hours than that). As far as you not getting in the first time around, that depends on your science GPA, MCAT score, apps/interview skills and some other factors.

Now for the question about kids in school. To answer your question in short, yes I think it can be done. I think the real issue to ponder is whether or not this is something you can handle. You will be sacrificing seeing and being with your kids more than most single moms. And the pressure of not having the extra support may be emotionally and financially burdensome. Medical school already adds such a large emotional and financial burden that this may not be something you want to put you or your kids through. I know single moms at my Med school. But I believe most of them have only 1 kid and they have family that will help in some way.

As an MD3, knowing what I know now about Med school, I personally would not raise 2 kids alone while in school. the time is simply not there to do it and the sacrifices for my kids would be too great. After taking in everyone’s advice, this is a decision you need to be at peace with within yourself. Because when things get hard (and they will) you have to KNOW that you made the right decision for your family.
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Worry first on getting the stats for medical school, then once you have a case for GPA, MCAT, EC's, etc., then we'll talk more in depth.

All I can say, is that you won't be able to survive medical school while holding down a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.