Moms… I need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrostMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still in premed stage but I am applying to med school. Taking the MCAT in June. I’m 32 & I have a 17 month old & I want to have another one right before medical school starts (2024 cycle) my first born will be starting daycare this year. The second one will roughly be 8 months old when I start med school. My husband is starting law school summer. Is this doable? My friend told me it’s not a good idea so looking to see who went through med school with 2 kids.

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

My unsolicited $.02 (I'm a man and a long-term parent of two): Medical school is challenging and parenting two children will make it more challenging. However, at 32 and the parent of one child, you likely have the maturity to balance competing priorities and make it work. Besides, for a person seeking to become a doctor, there is never a convenient time to have a child. Residency is more time consuming than medical school, so unless you're prepared to wait almost a decade for your second child, there is no better time than now.

Reactions: 3 users
My unsolicited $.02 (I'm a man and a long-term parent of two): Medical school is challenging and parenting two children will make it more challenging. However, at 32 and the parent of one child, you likely have the maturity to balance competing priorities and make it work. Besides, for a person seeking to become a doctor, there is never a convenient time to have a child. Residency is more time consuming than medical school, so unless you're prepared to wait almost a decade for your second child, there is no better time than now.
As long as you don't end up at a school with mandatory lecture attendance.

Members don't see this ad :)
By 8 months your routine will be solidified. It’s doable but very busy. Do you have a support system nearby? That will be the game changer. Someone to help with daycare pick ups if need be or can watch sick kids if you have a test. I think you can do it if you’re realistic with yourself and know the next 2 years will suck. But they are doable if you are efficient with studying and scheduling

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have support around you, like family outside your husband? That will make it a lot more doable. Double what VA hopeful Dr says though, mandatory lectures make it a lot tougher and I had a friend who struggled a lot setting up daycare for those days.

Also are you willing to move across the country for the dream? Or are you only going to apply local? You said your husband is going to law school so I’m assuming he wouldn’t be able to move with you if you get accepted to a school far away which would put a greater strain on you as well.

Do you have support around you, like family outside your husband? That will make it a lot more doable. Double what VA hopeful Dr says though, mandatory lectures make it a lot tougher and I had a friend who struggled a lot setting up daycare for those days.

Also are you willing to move across the country for the dream? Or are you only going to apply local? You said your husband is going to law school so I’m assuming he wouldn’t be able to move with you if you get accepted to a school far away which would put a greater strain on you as wellil

I do have family I just haven’t been utilizing them. Also. I am applying to OOS schools that like OOS applicants he said he’d move with me & transfer schools. My mom would also move with me she’s sick but always helps out

Reactions: 1 user
I took the MCAT with a 6 month old who breastfed, and I'll be starting med school this summer with a 19 month old. We're also planning to expand the fam during M1. It hasn't been easy, but having a supportive partner and his family nearby has been a lifesaver. My mom is retiring this year and will also be moving close to use to help out. I honestly could not have done it without the outside support of my family.

SUPPORT!!! NEED SUPPORT. We have kids, my wife is working. Kid are school age so that helps. However - what if a kid is sick (they get sniffles all the time) and can't go to school/daycare etc. One of you will have to either take the day off and stay with the kid home or YOU NEED SUPPORT.

Reactions: 1 users
Moving to pre-med.

As a dad of 3 kids under the age of 5, I'll echo what others said--support is key, as is flexibility. It is by leaps and bounds easier to have a small child during the first 2 years of school, and as others have said this should make the question of mandatory lecture attendance a huge huge consideration when considering potential schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I have two kids and was just accepted to start this fall. I've been working full-time for a while. Make sure that wherever you go, you have a backup plan and a backup backup plan for childcare. My youngest from 5 months old until over a year old went through a phase where he got sick, I kid you not, literally every other week. This means I was working from home with him at least 1-2 days every two weeks, which was only possible because of my job. I've left work early many times to get him. I felt like I was never working and couldn't get anything done. So definitely things like non-mandatory lectures will be nice, but I'd also recommend that whatever childcare situation you have, make sure it's reliable and can handle frequent illnesses.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
There are so many variables here. Very personal ones too. Spousal support and outside family support will be a huge help. One variable only you can decide is what kind of students are you and your husband? I had to take a lunch pail approach to med school and grind 8 hrs daily and on weekends. My wife breezed through med school. She went to class to socialize and drink coffee in the cafeteria. Then graduated in the top 10%. of her class. Even so, we waited until she was a 3rd yr resident and I a new attending before we had kids. If you and your husband have good academic and organizational skills, it is doable, but understand what you are getting in to. With a toddler, you are already half way there with the organizational skills. Good luck and best wishes.