Still on a waitlist and waiting...blah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knish

SUNY Buffalo 2006
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else out ther in the same situation?

I have been waiting for an acceptance from buffalo. I've been waitlisted in only one school and i've been waiting and waiting and.......blah....

can this process be anymore stressful.....now i just don't know if i should reapply or what.....

the school told me that i could get in until the first day of classes....thats aug 20th.....i can't wait any longer......

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry had to get my frustrations out......

anyone else in the same boat?
knish

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by knish
anyone else out ther in the same situation?

I have been waiting for an acceptance from buffalo. I've been waitlisted in only one school and i've been waiting and waiting and.......blah....

can this process be anymore stressful.....now i just don't know if i should reapply or what.....

the school told me that i could get in until the first day of classes....thats aug 20th.....i can't wait any longer......

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry had to get my frustrations out......

anyone else in the same boat?
knish

Can it be more frustrating? Um, yes. Try not being accepted anywhere and being pressed to make hosuing/employment commitments/decisions without knowing what the hay you're going to do. I'm still crossing my fringers for NYMC. I want to be accepted.

I am on the same boat....waiting waiting waiting.
One of the schools that are holding my acceptance letter hostage starts on the 2nd of Aug (that's the last day they take people off the waitlist) and the other has a start date of Aug 18th/19th.

I am a nervous wreck because July is almost done and I have no school to attend. If I get accepted to either school I have to move out of state (and find an apartment in a short amount of time) and also I need to quit my job(give them the two weeks notice.

Just try to stay motivated and have faith.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was waiting and waiting and waiting like you. But I got 2 calls last week. So keep your head up and you'll be okay.

thanks for the hope....

SUNY Buffalo doesn't give you any info on your chances of getting in.....sucks....how r u supposed to plan for anything....

Now that its getting so close to the end of the process i'm slowly loosing hope....

should i apply for the FAFSA if i don't have an acceptance letter in hand.....i have been holding off since i didn't want to ginx (sp?) myself.

thanks for the stories of hope....anyone else have any encouriging words of wisdom?

knish
+pissed+

I was beginning to think I was the last person waiting!! I too am on one wait list only with NO acceptances. Albany Med told me that they take people off the wait list until August 28th so I guess I'll be waiting till then...they also won't give us our place on the list. I have decided to reapply now instead of waste the summer away. Also, I would recommend completing the FAFSA just in case. Good luck and keep the faith all my fellow wait list buddies!!!

Knish,

You should have filled out your FAFSA long time!!!! I mean it's not late but you might want to jumpstart it just incase.

Do schools know when a student has filled out the FAFSA or not? If they do, then it might be in your best interest to have yours done Knish.

Are you staying in touch with the program? I'd recommend that you contact them every two weeks to let them know you're still very interested, to keep them updated on anything that might have changed (new experiences, etc.), and just generally to stay on the top of their pile. Be proactive about your application; otherwise you could just be left there.

Good luck!

I think it depends on the school. For example some schools have ranked wait lists and no matter how interested you are in the program you cannot change your position or status on the list (that's my circumstance anyway). I think you're right though in general it is definitely good to keep in touch with you're own personal situation.

Originally posted by holler79
I think it depends on the school. For example some schools have ranked wait lists and no matter how interested you are in the program you cannot change your position or status on the list (that's my circumstance anyway). I think you're right though in general it is definitely good to keep in touch with you're own personal situation.

This is very true. On one of the waitlists that I am on, they rank the students and I am no where near the top. At another school they are ranked (top third, middle third, lower third) but within the thirds there is no further ranking (at least that's what they said). Since I am in the top-third (at this particular school), I really can't determine my position because they pick students randomly out of the top-third (or so I was told). I call about every 2weeks to show interest but all I am told is to stay patient and that the list is moving slowly.

I'm waiting too!!!! SLU is the only one I'm waitlisted at!!!

I totally feel your pain guys!!! Orientation is on Aug 5th, and classes start on the 12th, giving me a little less than a month to hear from them. But don't lose hope! After all that we've been through this year, i think that one month isn't too long a wait at all; it goes by fast! Just keep it in that perspective and u should be ok. Meanwhile, I've been calling admissions with a new question/update every week. Unfortunately, they're not giving me ANY info as to where i am on the list!! *sigh!!*

I'm worried too, because I need to make housing arrangements outta state too....and I've lived in So Cali my entire life, so it's gonna be a HUGE move!! Arrrgh!!

As for the FAFSA, apply now. Just in case, it won't hurt.

How do I survive?? I pray and wait...whether or not you're a spiritual/religious person, it helps to have hope placed in somewhere. :) After all, as doctors we'll be expected to give hope ourselves.

Be strong. Be aggressive. Meanwhile, I'll be next to the phone, hoping it's SLU and not one of those telemarketers...again. *sigh*

:(

It is somewhat comforting to know that others are going through this same purgatory like experience. I am waitlisted at SLU, NYMC, Penn State, and Meharry. I live in Westwood, CA, but my home now is in Dallas so when my lease is up at the end of the month, I don't know whether to drive to Dallas or medical school.
Try having a beer, it can really mellow you out, especially when the clock is nearing 2pm (pacific time) and you know that another day is about to pass without any news from the east coast. Then try another beer at just before 3pm pacific when you know that the midwest bears no good new either. Repeat daily until your hard work is rewarded. When it is rewarded, drink as many beers as you can. Then go to medical school and find out just how bad this coping mechanism is for your health.

Hang on there Pete. I would definitely fill out the FAFSA, perhaps it'll turn into a blessing.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've made peace with the possibility that i may not get in and you know what? it's not all that bad. actually, i'm happier than ever and actually focusing on the right here and now rather than the next phone call. i've secured a job for the year and a master's program if i so choose instead. i've submitted my new application and another year off from hell, aka med school, is just fine by me. if i do get accepted, it'll be a nice surprise. cheers.

joe joe

I am on 6 waitlists and no acceptances.. After reading some of the posts on here I am none too hopeful. Oh, well at least I have a job and can apply earlier this time. In fact, got to go home and work on that tonight. good luck!

hey guys,

yet another day is going by with no phone call.....27 days till orientation starts at UB and i'm starting to have panic attacks.....blah....

I wish i knew how to meditate or do yoga...maybe that would relax me a little.....or as all my friends are advising me to do...i should turn to alcohol...at least i'll be having fun and forget all of my troubles....hahahahaha

hang in there guys....

knish

Each day just prolongs the misery. I think it's still kinda early to call it day. I usually give up hope for the day around 3:30-4pm. By that time I pretty much given up hope of getting called for the day.

I then look forward to going home, maybe someone sent me a letter.
I also check my voicemail (once in a while) incase they called me there.
I find ways to keep myself busy.....I go to the gym....play games...watch TV. I play internet games while at work.
Whatever you do don't run to alcohol....u might form a relationship with that one.

I just emailed the dean at one of the schools I am hoping to hear from. I heard she has my application....so I sent a little email to help sweeten the deal.

Originally posted by scootad.
How unethical. ;)

LOL....oh oh I'm having flashbacks............:laugh:

bushbaby....keep me updated on your situation....i'm pulling for you.....;)

knish

Hello guys, I am on 3 waitlists myself, RUSH, Meharry, and Jefferson. I still have NO acceptances...its so frustrating....i've been trying to study to Retake the MCAT, what a pain....and will start my 2nd masters at CMS at the end of July in their Ap program. I sincerely wish you all the best of luck since i appreciate your stress!

Hang in there everyone, especially Bushbaby.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I have one acceptance and I am waitlisted at my first choice. Plus classess at both of these schools in early August. So turmoil is my middle name.

I guess one highlight is I am becoming a more spirtual person because of this experience. Its amazing what living in limbo will do to you.

****Remember alcohol is NOT the answer!

My lord... I hope I don't get on a wait list... I'd rather just be flat-out rejected than go through the torture you all seem to be in. :(

Well, good luck :)

another week goes by and nothing......blah.....

just felt like bitching....

only 24 days till orientation starts at SUNY Buffalo.....that means about 24 days for me to hear something.....

Its such a pain...cause i'm at SUNY buffalo doing research for the summer.....i walk by the admissions office everyday...blah....i just want to scream......

i just thought i'd share....

knish

Waitlist Log/Journal:

It's almost 5pm and that ends the day for me.

No acceptances yet, but a school said my name was moving up on the list. Another said the list doesn't move until about school starts (aug 26th). The othe said to contact the dean for the movement info.

Peace
Bushbaby

Originally posted by BushBaby
Knish,

You should have filled out your FAFSA long time!!!! I mean it's not late but you might want to jumpstart it just incase.

Do schools know when a student has filled out the FAFSA or not? If they do, then it might be in your best interest to have yours done Knish.

whhen you fill out the FAFSA, you fill out which schools FAFSA will send your info. thus those selected schools will know.

Originally posted by Supafly, MD
Hang in there everyone, especially Bushbaby.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I have one acceptance and I am waitlisted at my first choice. Plus classess at both of these schools in early August. So turmoil is my middle name.

I guess one highlight is I am becoming a more spirtual person because of this experience. Its amazing what living in limbo will do to you.

****Remember alcohol is NOT the answer!

well, with that acceptance you are already golden! appreciate it.

Finally some people who can relate to what I'm going through! 3 waitlists, NO acceptances, and all three schools start August 5th! This waiting and not knowing what I will be doing next year has been so hard, if I'm not going to get off any of these waitlists, I would have rather have just been rejected right away! I really don't know what I'm going to do with myself if I don't get in. I hate my job and although I guess I can keep working there next year, the thought of spending another year doing something I hate is truly unbearable. I've been looking at other jobs, but there aren't that many that don't suck out there at the moment.
I know I should try to get my mind off of it and just accept that I won't be getting in this year, but it's so hard to not think about it every moment of the day. Being a doctor is all I've ever wanted to be, and I can't imagine doing anything else. I've been working towards this goal for almost a decade now. I knew when I was 17 that this was what I wanted to do, but in college I screwed up my GPA because some personal family stuff that was happening and my inability to handle it. I tried to rectify that screw up by getting a masters in biochemistry with an almost flawless GPA, and then finally applied to med school only to be rejected without an interview from over 30 schools. After that fiasco, I had somewhat of a nervous breakdown, but then gathered self together, kept on working on my EC's, etc. and reapplied. This time getting 7 interview invites. Now, the culmination of all that work (Including taking the MCAT twice), is 3 waitlists, no acceptances, and about 2 weeks before school starts.(This is where I would insert the smilie pulling hair out of his little bald head!)

Barb,

On behalf of everyone, I would like to welcome you to this sad club/thread. I feel your pain because I am also on 3 waitlists for schools that start, prospectively, on Aug 2nd, Aug 12th and Aug 26th.

And of course I have until the first day of class for each school to find out. I am a nervous wreck and it is IMPOSSIBLE to think of anything else but your waitlist status.
I am also working and my job is great but I would rather leave to go to medical school. My co-worker resigned yesterday-she is starting mount sinai in about 2 weeks. So I felt really depressed being left behind.

There is nothing much to do, I reckon, but wait.

I too am starting to entertain the thought of having to retake the MCAT. I already checked out the next kaplan schedule....
If this is so, then this will be the 3rd time I will be taking the exam. I know there are people on, and off these boards, who get in on their 3rd try but I'd rather end the misery now.

I understand what you are going thru but I think you are more of a wreck because all your schools start on the same day. At least for me, if the school that starts on aug 2nd doesn't call, I have two more schools to wait for.

I just wish our waitlist movement shows more movement during the end of July.

Feel free to PM me to vent.....:)

Hey Bush and Barb and to all of you left here. I am in the same situaiton as you all.....3 waitlists.....no acceptances.....classes start aug.6, aug 18 or so, and sep 3. My undergrad gpa was 3.6 grad gpa 3.76 mcat was 27 after 2 times....researched, published, tons of ECs, great interviews......what else do they freaking want...beats me now...but i'm studying for the mcat for aguust....starting ap program at finch and just praying something works out....i really hope WE all get through this..its good to know that there is someone otu there that can really RELATE!!!!....hey now you know why I'm ANXIOUS........take care and good luck......feel free to PM me also if anyone wants to vent!

Ok, I think it's time for a big group hug. Let's all huddle together and hug. *HUGS for everyone* I brought all of you some chewy chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven. So, let's forget our woes and indulge ourselves in chocolate bliss! I totally understand how all of you feel. I'm in the same situation...a couple of waitlists and no luck as of yet. One of my schools starts in less than 2 weeks, and there's been little movement on its ranked waitlist. Another school starts in mid-August and judging from movement in past years, I should have already been accepted but of course THIS year has to be the exception. I don't even want to get into the others...I'm exasperated w/ the lack of communication from some of these schools. They're so vague w/ details. I've been doing a wide array of activities to keep my mind of these depressing matters. Easier said than done. I run in the mornings, so that definitely helps me unwind after a night of comtemplating the dismal future. I sometimes play tennis w/ my friends and go swimming. Come to think of it, I suppose these are all avenues through which I channel my frustrations. I've also been catching up on my movie viewing. I love the public library! So, the next time someone mentions a scene in a movie, I can be like "oooh yeah" instead of wondering what the heck they're talking about. Also, I'll tell you guys something, but make sure it doesn't get beyond this thread. I've been studying some anatomy. :eek: If I'm gonna play doctor, I want to make sure I give the best darn physicals my "patients" have ever received! Plus, you can use this knowledge (though it'll probably move to the recesses of my brain in a matter of weeks) to talk to your friends in anatomy lingo. They'll be wowed by the plethora of your knowledge and fall madly and deeply in love w/ you. ;)
I'm genuinely happy for the people on here that have been getting off of waitlists, but I'm also a bit green w/ envy 'cuz I wish I were in their shoes. They seem to be so caught up in rejoicing that they forgot to pass the Lucky Charms our way. ;)
Hang in there, guys. :)

Thingamajig,

For some odd reason I always thought you had an acceptance. I totally understand the deal with the school that had slow list this year. On one of my waitlists I am in the top-third. When I called them back in march, up until June, they told me "oh yeah you have a good chance, judging from the movement previous years,you are in a good spot". Yeah then I called back in late June and all of a sudden "the list is moving very slowly...yadayadayada".....what the heck? What happened to my "you have a good chance"? I did hear that my name is moving up...but that won't matter if enough students don't give up their seats.

I feel for you anxiousmed....don't worry our days on the waitlists are numbered....:)
Tomorrow is Monday and that gives us all another week to go at this. I hope someone here gets some good news.

On one of my waitlists I am in the top-third. When I called them back in march, up until June, they told me "oh yeah you have a good chance, judging from the movement previous years,you are in a good spot". Yeah then I called back in late June and all of a sudden "the list is moving very slowly...yadayadayada".....what the heck? What happened to my "you have a good chance"? I did hear that my name is moving up...but that won't matter if enough students don't give up their seats.

Weird. I had the SAME conversations w/ the school I talked to!! I was told the EXACT same stuff in the exact same wording both times I called. :laugh:

My fingers are crossed for all of you! Don't give up hope now! My friend got into UPenn the day before classes started...so it's not over yet!

good luck, everyone...this will be a good week!

nylee

Originally posted by ThingAMaJig

Weird. I had the SAME conversations w/ the school I talked to!! I was told the EXACT same stuff in the exact same wording both times I called. :laugh:

LOL...maybe we are calling the same school????:laugh: :laugh:
I call them about twice week (without giving my name ofcourse) to inquire about the waitlist movement. Then every other week I call just to "check in" (this time giving my name)...let them know I am still waiting here.

And the thing that pisses me off is that they won't tell you your position. I mean if I was told I was #19 and they are up to #7 then I would chill and maybe call once a week. They also won't tell you the size of the waitlist. I am top-third, but top third of what??? a 150 or of 45? I wish I knew someone on the inside.
And when she said that my name was moving up, I felt like I was moving up to #25 (this won't help me much) instead of #5....

hi guys,

My name is Sham This and I am a Wait-o-holic. I worked very hard for four years at a good school and played sports, and did well on my boards. So don't feel upset, my fellow wait-o-holics, or worthless, or inferior. Sometimes this is just the way it works out. Some people dismiss the process as a crapshoot, but I don't see it that way. It's a major-crapshoot!

thanks a lot guys.....hopefully we can all eventually appreciate that waiting will result in "higher awards".....because if it doesn't alll this stress is sooooooo unmanageable!....take care and lets keep this thread alive
Anxious

knish here checking in.....

its monday morning.....

no phone calls yet.....

finger nails almost gone....

hair on my head....almost all pulled out....

maybe i should stop by the admissions office and do a little song and dance for them....maybe then i'll get in.....i could wear a funny hat????

I think i'm totally losing my mind....

knish checking out.....

Hi guys,

Don't give up yet..waitlists are still moving. I just got accepted to Albany Medical..I will be declining so hopefully one of you is waiting to hear from AMC. Also...anxious med: waitlists are a bit slow this year thanks to guess who!?!?!?..so hang in there! you will get in..btw..which schools are you waiting on? It might help to speak to the Dean/Director of admissions directly. Sometimes they need to hear your voice before doing something.

Good luck! :)

I am not quite sure what calling the dean will accomplish sometimes. I don't know if my calling them will somehow make them bump my name up ...won't the dean consider that to be unfair to the other students who were ahead of me...?
Or would they think "wow, this student really wants to go come here, let's him/her up a notch!"

Well I have just checked my email and nope no emails from any school. It's almost midday......:rolleyes: and I am still waiting.............waiting................+pissed+

If anyone knows anybody holding on to an acceptance from either NJ schools, would you please tell'em to GIVE IT UP ALREADY!!!!!

hey guys,

If the school does call you to offer an acceptance...when do they usually call.....from what i have seen its usually in the morning....is that the consensus?

i just want to limit my gut wrenching wait time some if that when they call.....cause maybe then i can get some work done in the afternoons...

knish

Maple, thanks for declining Albany...I am waiting to hear from them:) For all you waitlisters I am still hanging strong with ya!! Good luck and hang in there!!

I just called and one of my waitlists hasn't had any movement since last week..................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:mad: :( :mad: :( +pissed+

The lady sounded really pessimitic about future movements...she was like "it hasn't really moved much at in the last week and we only have to weeks left".+pissed+

What's the response time for when a student declines an offer and their offering that spot to someone else?

bushbaby keep the faith alive.....we have to stick together.....two weeks, thats plenty of time....thats 14 days....thats 336 hours.....thats 20160 minutes.....thats 1209600 seconds.....so you see you have plenty of time.....

don't dispair.....we are here for ya....if you need to scream and let it all out...i'll join you....i'll be screaming today at 5pm eastern.....anyone else want to join in.....

we have to get in.....we just have to....there is no alternative....keep a positive attitude....cause we are smart enough, beatiful enough and gosh darn it people like us

:love:

keep the faith...

knish

Yeah 1209600 is plenty of time...what was I thinking???

I will be screaming with you...it's almost closing time. I am about to write/call the deans and threaten to hold my breath until I get my acceptance...:eek:

That'll teach 'em to mess with me.:mad:

I am so FRUSTRATED it's not even funny. I feel like having my mind frozen until I hear some good news because the wait is killing.

Yeah 1209600 is plenty of time...what was I thinking???

I will be screaming with you...it's almost closing time. I am about to write/call the deans and threaten to hold my breath until I get my acceptance...:eek:

That'll teach 'em to mess with me.:mad:

I am so FRUSTRATED it's not even funny. I feel like having my mind frozen until I hear some good news because the wait is killing.

I'm totally with you Bushbaby! And BTW, thank you so much for your words of encouragement!

Thank goodness for all of you on this thread! It's been bad enough living with all this uncertainty, but having some company lessens the pain just a bit. You know what the say, misery loves company, that's why you never see flies on a "No Pest" strip saying, "Go around! Go around!

Feeling like crap for so long has gotten me thinking up some crazy and desperate ideas. Here's my latest:
What would happen if I just showed up when school started and started attending classes and acted like I did receive "the call?" When my instructors ask, "How come you're not on my roster?" Couldn't I just say, "I got in off the waitlist late and they haven't added my name yet." Then I could study really hard, make sure I get one of the highest grades on the first exam, and then by the time they figure it out and are having security escort me from the building, maybe based on my academic performance, I could convince them to let me stay. And if they get mad about the whole fraudulent acceptance thing, I could just pretend that it was all a misunderstanding. Afterall, it's not like admissions offices don't make mistakes. I've already had two different schools tell me something that turned out to be totally false. One said I was waitlisted and the letter was on its way, and when it didn't arrive several weeks later, I called and found out I had never been put on the waitlist. A different school had told me I had been taken off the waitlist and got in and the letter was in the mail, and then a week later they told me, there was never any letter. So why shouldn't we use the apparent lack of communication between admissions committees and office staff to our advantage?

Barb,

It's funny because I was just discussing that with my co-worker: just showing up during orientation and blending in. lol. That would be funny.

I hear people are still getting pulled off lists around the country and hopefully if a student got pulled off elsewhere he/she can withdraw from the school that I'm waiting on. It's more or less a wicked domino effect. I just wonder how come out of all the schools in this country, it just happens that the 3 I'm waitlisted on are having slow movements. Some schools are already pulling off 50% of their waitlisted students.

I still haven't come to terms with the idea of re-applying. I just always thought I would get in because everything was going so well. Then June came and went, now July is here and everything is looking dark.

I am frustrated because the school that starts Aug 2nd is the school I would REALLY LOVE to attend. :( They have a dual degree program and it's only a state away. And living expenses won't be bad. I guess I have to do some xtra praying. I already emailed the admissions officer(about 2-3 weeks ago)...I don't want to email her again.

~~Sigh~~

It's lovely to have some sort of a support group where we can post waitlisted experiences...

Hi, my name is CafePinay ("Hi, CafePinay"). **HUGS**

I've almost had enough. I know, I know, everyone tells me that if I must, I should have a plan B. And I do, but it still hurts not hearing about plan A this late in the game. And it's not much of the fact that I'll be distraught if plan A doesn't work, but how much I have to prepare if it does. Those of you who will be moving outta state for the first time should understand.

Classes at SLU start August 12th...but I would really love to make it to Orientation on the 5th. California to the Midwest is HUGE. I don't drive (please don't grill me on that, not now); I can't simply rent a car there and hope that everything falls into place. I don't know what to plan for yet. Am I staying, am I going? I've already kept some contact with potential places to live...but that's all I can do.

SLU is the only school I'm waitlisted at. 27 schools, 26 rejections, 1 interview, 1 waitlist...nothing short of a miracle, I think. But after all this, sheesh, like all of you, I want an answer. I'm so distracted with this waiting that I can't think of my just-in-case-I'm-gonna-pack-planning yet.

You feel me?? I think my family and friends are tired of my whining...that's why I wanted to post. **sigh** :rollseyes:

Thank you for your time.

Originally posted by Cafepinay
It's lovely to have some sort of a support group where we can post waitlisted experiences...

Hi, my name is CafePinay ("Hi, CafePinay"). **HUGS**

I've almost had enough. I know, I know, everyone tells me that if I must, I should have a plan B. And I do, but it still hurts not hearing about plan A this late in the game. And it's not much of the fact that I'll be distraught if plan A doesn't work, but how much I have to prepare if it does. Those of you who will be moving outta state for the first time should understand.

Classes at SLU start August 12th...but I would really love to make it to Orientation on the 5th. California to the Midwest is HUGE. I don't drive (please don't grill me on that, not now); I can't simply rent a car there and hope that everything falls into place. I don't know what to plan for yet. Am I staying, am I going? I've already kept some contact with potential places to live...but that's all I can do.

SLU is the only school I'm waitlisted at. 27 schools, 26 rejections, 1 interview, 1 waitlist...nothing short of a miracle, I think. But after all this, sheesh, like all of you, I want an answer. I'm so distracted with this waiting that I can't think of my just-in-case-I'm-gonna-pack-planning yet.

You feel me?? I think my family and friends are tired of my whining...that's why I wanted to post. **sigh** :rollseyes:

Thank you for your time.

I totally feel ya. It's all I can do to keep from screaming sometimes.