The scoop on Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paisley

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why some people had already received interviews without completing secondaries and so I called the admissions office last week. Apparently, Vanderbilt is another school that is completely disregarding the paper, unverified application copies from AMCAS. The university did not want to get too far behind in the admissions process and so they began selecting people to interview from the few verified applications they received from AMCAS. Everyone else has to fill out the secondary--I'm not sure if this is something they are having us to do keep ourselves busy until they receive our verified applications or what. :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I am so glad I am not applying to Vanderbuilt....dumb school like pitsburgh...

what a bunch of *****s.....I am really glad that they are really evaulating students.....arrogant pple....

I go to Vanderbilt.. and I am extremely glad that I applied there. Their secondary is not terribly bad, and if I got accepted there I believe it would be one of, if not THE school I would like to attend. As far as the interviewing thing, I really don't blame them. I'm sure the students they chose to interview would most likely have received interviews anyways. Besides, I'd be surprised if these students weren't required to fill out secondaries eventually anyways before their files are complete and decisions are made. I'm sure Vandy is just doing this to move the process along instead of being in Limbo in the whole process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jordews, I have heard wonderful things about Vanderbilt and you are indeed fortunate to be attending such a school. If you don't mind my asking, what do YOU like particularly about the school--what makes it one of your top choices?

I am not from Tennessee but visit Nashiville regularly because my best friend lives there. It is a beautiful place no doubt. I applied to Vandy and can't complain with what they are doing. Jordews is right, they are only trying to make up lost ground and who really knows for sure who they are giving interviews to. I am eager to receive an interview from them though! Jordews, have you received an invite from Vandy? Are you in a fraternity or sorority up there? Do you ever go to little tokyo sushi restaurant?

Vanderbilt is granting interviews based off the unverified primary which many of us sent in. They are not simply going by numbers, which is what pittsburgh is doing. I am lucky enough to be in that first group that got an interview at Vandy b/c I sent in my paper app early. I STILL have to do the secondary which will be done this weekend since I haven't even started it. It's gonna be a pain b/c I need to rush through it so they can have it before I go interview there. Oh well.

Hmm scooby, did you have your application verified? The only two people I know who have early Vanderbilt interviews are you and baylor21, both of whom have the Michigan secondary and both of whom had their apps verified. Maybe ther are going off the few verified apps.

Originally posted by 6 to 8 Weeks:
•Hmm scooby, did you have your application verified? The only two people I know who have early Vanderbilt interviews are you and baylor21, both of whom have the Michigan secondary and both of whom had their apps verified. Maybe ther are going off the few verified apps.•

You may be right. Along with me and Scooby, Smoke also got an interview there and I believe his app has also been verified.

That's right, my app was verified several weeks before I got the invite. I did send them my unverified paper AMCAS after kafka posted that they were accepting them, this may have had something to do with it too (but I doubt it).

jordews, I feel you. Vandy is a spectacular school. If I am lucky enough to get in, it's virtually certain that I'll go there.

In response to a few of your questions, I personally just love Vanderbilt pretty much for every reason imaginable. Great school, good city, nice people, beautiful campus, etc etc etc. For simlpeton, I have not received an interview invite from vandy yet, I have their secondary though, and am about half way finished with it. I think a big reason why I would be so excited if i got in, is because they have this pre-medschool admissions thing here for vandy undergrads. You can apply to the med school during your sophomore year, and they take about 4 or 5 students that way. You dont have to take mcats or anything like that, and it saves you tons of time with this application process and I believe you just have to keep your GPA above a 3.5 to remain eligible. I have heard that outside of that group that they admit early, they admit very few vandy undergrads during the regular admissions. :( I would love to go here, but I think that my chances are probably even slimmer than some of yours because i attend undergrad here, and didnt get into the early thing. Stinky huh?

Just for clarification, Vanderbilt is NOT selecting people for interviews based on the unverified paper copies--they are SOLELY going by the few (lucky!) verified applications they have thus far received.

I was actually at Vanderbuilt yesterday to pick up a brochure (although I'm not applying this year) just to see the school because I was in the area. Gorgeous school -trees, grass, old buildings, nice people. So exciting to see all of the medical buildings and people in scrubs. It's funny though...when I think of an admissions office I think scary people deciding the fate of students with a flick of their pinkie - this admisisons office, however, was a tiny room in the corner of a large building with a friendly looking woman chatting on the phone...not very ominous.

I just got an interview offer at Vanderbilt. They offer regional interview as well but prefer campus interview. Does it make difference if I choose to interview regionally with alumni?--just to save some bucks. I live in Philly.

Originally posted by paisley:
•Just for clarification, Vanderbilt is NOT selecting people for interviews based on the unverified paper copies--they are SOLELY going by the few (lucky!) verified applications they have thus far received.•

so it looks like there is no point of submitting secondaries early even if vanderbilt is rolling.

How ironic that I was the one who initially started this thread. I just got an interview invitation from Vanderbilt! As far as I know, however, my AMCAS application has not been verified. I wonder if they have changed their admissions procedures? I'll try calling them on Monday and will let you know what they said. For the others who received interviews from Vanderbilt, did the letter also request that you complete the secondary--in spite of the fact that you were selected for an interview?

Originally posted by paisley:
•How ironic that I was the one who initially started this thread. I just got an interview invitation from Vanderbilt! As far as I know, however, my AMCAS application has not been verified. I wonder if they have changed their admissions procedures? I'll try calling them on Monday and will let you know what they said. For the others who received interviews from Vanderbilt, did the letter also request that you complete the secondary--in spite of the fact that you were selected for an interview?•

Yes, you have to send it in regardless of interview status. They are changing their process this year, so they look at the secondary after your interview to aid in deciding to admit you or not.

I'll be there on Sept. 25th, anybody else going on that date?

I just got an interview as well. I never sent them my paper application, and my AMCAS has not been verified. They must be going by the preliminary sheet that AMCAS is sending out.

Vandy is going by stats SOLELY in many cases. They dont' have a thing from me- sec, paper AMCAS, and only the basic sheet was transmitted. I got an interview many days ago- so vandy is also going by stats, not the allround picture.