Turning down a full-tuition scholarship for a similarly ranked school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meowth85

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
title

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whats your question, whether you should do it or not??
Can you give us some context? Does it scare you because you'll be far from home, because of crime, because of discrimination...? How much are you paying in your second option?
Given the information you have given, no, I would not turn down a full tuition scholarship.

Reactions: 1 users
What's tuition at the second option? And how do living expenses compare between the two cities? That'll help with giving more context as to how the finances stack up, how much you'd have to pay on either end

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's tuition at the second option? And how do living expenses compare between the two cities? That'll help with giving more context as to how the finances stack up, how much you'd have to pay on either end
Second option: $57k first year, 2nd-4th year $34k tuition.
Apartments near the school range from 1.1-1.3k for most studios.

The tuition free option's fees, COL, insurance total to about $33k per year. Apartments near this school can go as low as $500. Based on my research, it is advised to avoid living in the area due to the high crime.

The crime in the area, I'm a very petite female for reference.

Cost of attendance for the second option is about 310k.
Hard to say whether it is worth it because I don't know how much this will impact your mental well-being and consequently, your performance in school. However, in my opinion, I don't know of any medical schools (and can't imagine any being) located somewhere so dangerous that it makes sense to turn down a full-tuition scholarship, especially given the other school is a similar tier.

I would reach out to people at the school you received a scholarship at and see what their thoughts are regarding the safety in the area; especially if any of them think it has impacted their ability to learn/perform. In my opinion, even if they say it is not the safest location - if they have all been able to work through it, I would still attend that school. It would become a matter of adapting to the environment of a worse location just like your colleagues did.

Just my 2c: I see from your post history you have a recent A from Temple, and given North Philly's reputation, assume you might be talking about there. I know the area well and know some students too. While you'll have to stay aware of your surroundings, it is definitely not worth foregoing a full tuition scholarship. Philly is awesome. I'd also argue that learning how to live in cities like Philadelphia also open you up to more places for residency.

Reactions: 4 users
You can hire a body guard with that money :)
Or take some of the money you would have spent on tuition and live in a doorman building, or in a safer area, or take uber to and from school….

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I've lived in "rough areas" before. If you're not caught up in drugs and gang stuff, your chances of actually getting hurt are closer to the average. Most people involved in violent crimes are "in the lifestyle." I actually felt safer in Chicago than several higher socioeconomic areas I've lived because the gang that ran my block was basically an enforcer squad making the area safe for their low level drug deals AND little siblings.

Don't turn down $300k because you might occasionally see someone selling drugs in a parking lot.

Reactions: 4 users
I would reach out to people at the school you received a scholarship at and see what their thoughts are regarding the safety in the area; especially if any of them think it has impacted their ability to learn/perform. In my opinion, even if they say it is not the safest location - if they have all been able to work through it, I would still attend that school. It would become a matter of adapting to the environment of a worse location just like your colleagues did.
I second this. I went to undergrad in a location that outsiders swore was on the level of Gotham City, but people who actually lived there would tell you a completely different story. 300K is way too much money to give up on over a potential over-exaggeration

Reactions: 2 users
I could buy a McDonald’s voucher with 300k, never gonna pass that up

Lets Go Yes GIF by Bubble Punk

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.