UWSOM vs. Colorado (please help :))

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UWSOM vs Colorado (please help:))

• UWSOM

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Colorado

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

everything_is_fine

Reaction score
Colorado (~45K tuition)
Pros
  • Closer to family (support system)
  • LICs seem great for early clinical exposure (clerkships start MS2)
  • P/F MS1
  • Nice weather and more sunny days
  • Weekly exams on Friday

Cons
  • H/HP/P/F clerkships
  • 1 year of pre-clinical sounds kind of rushed, but idk if this leaves more flexibility for later years
  • Been in Colorado for a while, so would like a change
  • Not really big into skiing/hiking which most people do around here
  • Not as great of a vibe on the visit day

UWSOM (~50k tuition + potentially an additional 10K in financial aid)
Pros
  • P/F MS1 - MS3
  • T20 (more prestige/connections?)
  • My visit day experience was great
  • The administration seems super supportive

Cons
  • WWAMI travel to different states seems stressful. I would be happier staying in one location during med school (Seattle).
  • Gloomy weather
  • Weekly exams on Monday

Summary: I think both are great schools, so I'm feeling super conflicted right now, especially since they cost pretty similar. Currently, I am interested in either a surgical subspecialty or derm. At the end of the day, I hope to go somewhere that will best prepare me clinically, have excellent research opportunities, and match into a great residency program.
  • I would love to match into California because my partner is working there in a pretty niche field.
  • My heart is telling me UW for a change, but logically Colorado might be better for stability (not moving around WWAMI). I feel like I might regret giving up UW tho
  • I looked up Derm research at Colorado and felt like there were fewer opportunities than at UW. Please correct me if I am wrong though!
  • Does UW being a T20 open any more doors at all in terms of connections?
Any advice or perspective would be appreciated!! Thank you all so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

The pros of Colorado just don't seem to support your goals. UWSOM will give you much better preparation and it will help you match in the West coast. If I were you, I would go to UW and then match into California much more easily.