Website/book/flashcard to learn anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kk2000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I will be starting medical school this fall and was looking for recommendations of ways to study/learn a small amount of Anatomy prior to beginning. My university only recommended Physiology so I have not had a basic anatomy course. I know many people recommend not studying the summer prior already! However, I am talking very light studying to give myself the basics. Thank you for the suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I will be starting medical school this fall and was looking for recommendations of ways to study/learn a small amount of Anatomy prior to beginning. My university only recommended Physiology so I have not had a basic anatomy course. I know many people recommend not studying the summer prior already! However, I am talking very light studying to give myself the basics. Thank you for the suggestions!

I'm not qualified to comment on the usefulness or lack thereof of studying beforehand. But, coming from zero, I really liked an anatomy coloring book for my undergrad anatomy class to get me oriented with the material before delving deeper into it in class.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm in a similar boat OP, and I'm definitely going to be doing some anat and phys, mostly because the last time I took one of those classes was 7 years ago. I don't know about the average med student, but I enjoy reading and hate not exercising my brain over the summer break. Spending 5 hours/week Paging through netters while going through the Khan Academy anat and phys section w/ practice questions isn't going to kill me or cause burnout.

And every M1 I've talked to has said while they don't think we should go hard pre-studying, keeping things fresh in our mind isn't a horrible idea either, especially if you're a non-trad like me.

Anatomy is really dense and it’ll be difficult to pre-study it because you can easily get lost in the sauce. If you have never taken anatomy before and would just like a good baseline, try to familiarize yourself with basic anatomical terms (i.e. superior vs. inferior, ventral vs. dorsal, adduction vs. abduction, etc.) and know, in general, where the big organs are for physical exam purposes. Other than that, I wouldn’t go further.

Reactions: 1 users
Much better bang for your buck to learn medical Spanish or pick up a programming language like Python or R.

Reactions: 2 users