William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!:cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Is anybody else having difficulty sending your letters of rec via Interfolio? For some reason I cannot find the school with the search function....

Thanks in advance!

Hey there applicants. I am a brand new first year here at william carey so if you have questions let me know and i will do what i can to help.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting. Two others I know haven't received anything yet either

Through researching this school a year ago, i swear i made a note that it required biochem. Looking at AACOMAS and its website though, I don't see that as a requirement. Was it a requirement a year ago and they changed it? Or was it never a requirement, and I was solely lost in the fog of the application process

Is this the school that sends their secondary through snail mail lol?

For any wondering, there's only one essay for the secondary but they don't really give out guidelines for it (no character count, word count, or anything in regards to the length of the essay). They just have you read the mission statement and answer how you think you can contribute to the mission.

I sent my primary application to this school. I am from the Midwest, and I heard this school has a regional bias. I was wondering if it is worth it for me to send in the secondary?

I'm applying to many other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my primary application to this school. I am from the Midwest, and I heard this school has a regional bias. I was wondering if it is worth it for me to send in the secondary?

I got this and unecom to finish and even if they have a state bias, This schools isint nearly as bad as nyit or ou-com. Gotta maximize the chances of acceptance so I'm still gonna end up submitting the secondary here .

Reactions: 1 users
I still haven't received a secondary from this school. Should I be worried?

Did WCU ever release a match list or board scores from last year?

Through researching this school a year ago, i swear i made a note that it required biochem. Looking at AACOMAS and its website though, I don't see that as a requirement. Was it a requirement a year ago and they changed it? Or was it never a requirement, and I was solely lost in the fog of the application process
There are quite of few peeps in the OMS1 class with zero biochem.

I'm also OMS 1 student that just started. Feel free to ask me questions!

No match list or board scores for last year's class. Only stats from the inaugural class

If you do receive a secondary here, it means that the school is very interested in you as a person and will likely give an interview. This is, of course, not 100% true, but it is generally. WCUCOM doesn't send out automatic secondaries so it's a good sign of you get the opportunity.

No match list or board scores for last year's class. Only stats from the inaugural class
Again check last cycles thread. The data was good.
And let me say this, each year the graduating class will match into something. Those that didnt did not match because of something they did, good or bad. Those match percentages dont tell you very much. The questions you should be asking should be about class and classmate support, where are the rotations, can I get an audition rotation approved in state X in program X. Truth is if you want to match and you have any brains you will at this school.

If you do receive a secondary here, it means that the school is very interested in you as a person and will likely give an interview. This is, of course, not 100% true, but it is generally. WCUCOM doesn't send out automatic secondaries so it's a good sign of you get the opportunity.
I agree with jbuc all the way. As additional advice i would say follow how our class does this year. The facts are the adcoms here are not stupid and they will pick the incoming class in a way that will make up for our short comings. That being said we have a great class so you have your work cut out for ya.

Again check last cycles thread. The data was good.
And let me say this, each year the graduating class will match into something. Those that didnt did not match because of something they did, good or bad. Those match percentages dont tell you very much. The questions you should be asking should be about class and classmate support, where are the rotations, can I get an audition rotation approved in state X in program X. Truth is if you want to match and you have any brains you will at this school.
I would also like to add that where you match isn't as important as what you match, and what you match is completely based on personal preference and hard work. It's a simple fact that the majority of those students interviewing at DO schools say they want to do primary care of some sort, but it changes when they're not under the microscope. It's okay, though, admissions committees know this. All that being said, however, and you get schools like WCUCOM that do have a heavy percentage of primary care oriented people. Numbers will always be skewed in these situations, and not in a bad way. If I remember correctly the school had someone match at Mayo Clinic last year, as well as having one match into dermatology somewhere. It's possible here!

Could you post the essay prompts from the application? Ty

The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, research and scholarly activities, service, including osteopathic clinical service, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.

In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill this mission.

I agree with jbuc all the way. As additional advice i would say follow how our class does this year. The facts are the adcoms here are not stupid and they will pick the incoming class in a way that will make up for our short comings. That being said we have a great class so you have your work cut out for ya.

If this is true I am extremely happy. This school is on the top of my list and only a short drive from where I live now.

The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, research and scholarly activities, service, including osteopathic clinical service, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.

In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill this mission.

Any word/character limit?

Are all of you receiving secondaries from the region? I'm hoping to receive one, but I'm from the Midwest =/

I am from the region. #Texas

Are all of you receiving secondaries from the region? I'm hoping to receive one, but I'm from the Midwest =/
Texas resident , received secondary about a week ago. Haven't even started on it .

Confused on how I should proceed…

I got an email from the associate dean (7.17.15) that "everything in my application looks good so far" but that I needed to add my MCAT scores onto AACOMAS. I did that immediately after the email and then emailed him back 2 weeks later (8.03.15) telling him my application should be complete now. He responded 30 minutes later saying he'd have his office send me a secondary. How long will it take for them to send me a secondary do you think?/ How long should I wait to contact the office if I have not received a secondary?

I got an email from the associate dean (7.17.15) that "everything in my application looks good so far" but that I needed to add my MCAT scores onto AACOMAS. I did that immediately after the email and then emailed him back 2 weeks later (8.03.15) telling him my application should be complete now. He responded 30 minutes later saying he'd have his office send me a secondary. How long will it take for them to send me a secondary do you think?/ How long should I wait to contact the office if I have not received a secondary?
Give it a couple weeks and see what happens. The secondary comes via U.S.P.S so it's going to take a little bit. Plus, school started this week and everyone, faculty included, are just getting back into the swing of things.

What? They need a picture of me as a part of the secondary? Okay then... This is unusual

The adcoms are like heinz ketchup, the send out secondaries and IIs when they are good and ready. You have tons of time to deal with Carey when and if they time comes. Work on other secondaries for the time being.

I am from Boston and haven't received anything from WCU yet.

II! Anyone knows the post interview acceptance rate?

II! Anyone knows the post interview acceptance rate?
I don't know what the exact number is, but if you are offered an interview then there is a high probability that you'll get accepted. The interview classes are typically small.

I don't know what the exact number is, but if you are offered an interview then there is a high probability that you'll get accepted. The interview classes are typically small.

Thank you. looking forward to be there!

Congratulations man! Do you mind telling us around what time you sent in the secondary via mail? Thanks

I sent the secondary through mail on 7/27 and II today this afternoon. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the secondary this morning! However, after scouring the past threads on this school I am a little nervous about filling it out. I don't think it's much of a secret that WCU is not exactly the highest quality medical school....especially if you are looking at specializing! Seems to be primary care or bust, and I didn't like how a full ten percent of the class last match got stuck in a traditional rotating internship (aka they didn't match anywhere else). Fill out this secondary at your own caution!!