Would med schools accept discrete mathematics as a math course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ANaturalWizard

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if med schools would accept discrete mathematics as part of their math requirements. At my school discrete mathematics is under the computer science & engineering dept and is a required course for my major.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Some probably would, some probably want calculus/stats. What is the course description? I would also highly recommend you take a statistics course of some kind, preferably biostatistics is you are able to.

Reactions: 1 users
Some probably would, some probably want calculus/stats. What is the course description? I would also highly recommend you take a statistics course of some kind, preferably biostatistics is you are able to.
Seconded. Many schools that have a math requirement explicitly state they prefer statistics. And several of them explicitly require statistics and don’t want calculus.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response,
The description of the course is :
Introduction to applications of discrete mathematical systems. Topics include sets, functions, relations, graphs, predicate calculus, mathematical proof methods (induction, contraposition, contradiction), counting methods (permutations, combinations), and recurrences. Examples are drawn from computer science and computer engineering.

Also I have taken statistics but I have been told med schools want 1 year of math + statistics. I am currently taking vector calculus and linear algebra aswell.

Thanks for the response,
The description of the course is :
Introduction to applications of discrete mathematical systems. Topics include sets, functions, relations, graphs, predicate calculus, mathematical proof methods (induction, contraposition, contradiction), counting methods (permutations, combinations), and recurrences. Examples are drawn from computer science and computer engineering.

Also I have taken statistics but I have been told med schools want 1 year of math + statistics. I am currently taking vector calculus and linear algebra aswell.
That sounds like plenty to me!

You've got the math requirement covered. The question will become whether AMCAS will count it toward your science GPA. In all likelihood, given the description, it will, even though it is not being offered by the MATH department.

You've got the math requirement covered. The question will become whether AMCAS will count it toward your science GPA. In all likelihood, given the description, it will, even though it is not being offered by the MATH department.

So discrete math should be okay correct? thank you guys so much.

Reactions: 1 user