2023-2024 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can I submit my secondary if I'm still waiting for one letter of rec to be submitted/sent?
Yes

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
is anyone taking question 10 as an optional question? the one that asks about any unique aspect of your application

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to check my status today and realized that I didn't write a description for the competencies in the prerequisite section. Should I contact admissions and ask if they need me to fill that information or do you think it's unnecessary?

The portal says: "For each area listed indicate how the competency was acquired and provide a brief explanation for experiences/activities if appropriate"

I checked off the boxes that said "courses listed on the transcript" but I'm not sure if that's enough. I would really appreciate any feedback!

I decided to check my status today and realized that I didn't write a description for the competencies in the prerequisite section. Should I contact admissions and ask if they need me to fill that information or do you think it's unnecessary?

The portal says: "For each area listed indicate how the competency was acquired and provide a brief explanation for experiences/activities if appropriate"

I checked off the boxes that said "courses listed on the transcript" but I'm not sure if that's enough. I would really appreciate any feedback!
I did the same thing too, I now wonder if it is necessary. I thought the description was more for if you checked off the "other experiences/ activities" I do not think we need to describe it if it is the transcript. The prompt also says "if appropriate" so the brief explanation would not necessarily be for a course (unless you want to describe the course content). I think it is more so for when you only have an activity but missing a course they give us space to clarify how that may work instead/ meet their requirements.

Does it even show a description box if you only clicked the transcript one? I can not remember but maybe it does not even show it unless you check the activity. I would not personally worry about it especially if you have all your pre-req courses taken.

Reactions: 1 users
I did the same thing too, I now wonder if it is necessary. I thought the description was more for if you checked off the "other experiences/ activities" I do not think we need to describe it if it is the transcript. The prompt also says "if appropriate" so the brief explanation would not necessarily be for a course (unless you want to describe the course content). I think it is more so for when you only have an activity but missing a course they give us space to clarify how that may work instead/ meet their requirements.

Does it even show a description box if you only clicked the transcript one? I can not remember but maybe it does not even show it unless you check the activity. I would not personally worry about it especially if you have all your pre-req courses taken.
That's exactly how I interpreted it the first time. I assumed that because I fulfilled all my pre-reqs through my college classes, checking the transcript box would be enough. I'm not sure but I think there was an optional box to write a brief description if you selected the transcript. But I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who saw things similarly and I think you're right that it won't be necessary to reach out to admissions. Tysm!

• Love
Is Penn State OOS-friendly to applicants with MCAT's a few points above its average?

Was thinking more about PSU and decided to add it to my AMCAS school list today... you guys think I wasted my money by submitting now? Read a post that said, you only know that you won't get in if you don't submit - trying to have that mentality! LM 74.5. Good luck to you all!

Was thinking more about PSU and decided to add it to my AMCAS school list today... you guys think I wasted my money by submitting now? Read a post that said, you only know that you won't get in if you don't submit - trying to have that mentality! LM 74.5. Good luck to you all!
definitely not too late, they haven't even started sending IIs yet

Members don't see this ad :)
IF I didn't get a committee letter because I wanted individual letters from my PI and a professor outside of the committee (BUT I got one from my advisor who would normally write the committee letter). Should I even apply to Penn State? It seems they REALLY want that committee letter if it's offered. Was going to add it to my list but now thinking I can't.

IF I didn't get a committee letter because I wanted individual letters from my PI and a professor outside of the committee (BUT I got one from my advisor who would normally write the committee letter). Should I even apply to Penn State? It seems they REALLY want that committee letter if it's offered. Was going to add it to my list but now thinking I can't.
in the secondary you just had to explain why you don't have one. I'd still apply

does anyone have info on the university park program? don't really know what makes it unique

the grad school question. i took random classes but decided not to get a degree or certificate. should I explain this to Adcom?

Hey, any updates from anyone? II started going out around this time last year

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back from admissions on LOR requirements? I’m three years out of undergrad and only have one sci and one non sci letters. Plus a letter from a volunteer coordinator and one from an MD I was an MA for.

Has anyone heard back from admissions on LOR requirements? I’m three years out of undergrad and only have one sci and one non sci letters. Plus a letter from a volunteer coordinator and one from an MD I was an MA for.
I've emailed them twice with no response. I'm also nontrad and do not have a non sci letter and have no way of obtaining one that is actually genuine. My volunteer coordinators have a strict policy of not writing letters. At best, I could ask my PI's admin but that's a stretch. Tbh, this could be their way of saying they don't like nontrads

I've emailed them twice with no response. I'm also nontrad and do not have a non sci letter and have no way of obtaining one that is actually genuine. My volunteer coordinators have a strict policy of not writing letters. At best, I could ask my PI's admin but that's a stretch. Tbh, this could be their way of saying they don't like nontrads
That’s a strange policy for your volunteer coordinators.

That’s a strange policy for your volunteer coordinators.
The hospital I work at has a very large number of undergrad prehealth volunteers from the associated university so the policy was put in place so that volunteers aren't just there for a quick easy letter of rec

The hospital I work at has a very large number of undergrad prehealth volunteers from the associated university so the policy was put in place so that volunteers aren't just there for a quick easy letter of rec
I mean they're volunteering their time for free so getting a letter of rec out of there doesn't seem unreasonable. It would make more sense that the Letter of Rec just requires some sort of minimum amount of hours dedicated to the program.

I got an email back. They said my LOR’s would be fine.

I got an email back. They said my LOR’s would be fine.
I really want to reiterate this point. I feel like there are more non-trads than not in my class, and I promise the office will make every reasonable accommodation.

However, also recognize the entire PSCOM Admissions team is swamped with hundreds of people asking very specific questions. Please give them time and grace to answer!

Do we know if the interview is open or closed file? What has it been in the past?

Does anyone know if they send their secondary to all applicants ?

Has anyone had any luck actually scheduling their interview? Went in to schedule today and it's showing no available dates all the way through next July...

EDIT: never mind, it seems to have been resolved!

Last edited:
anyone have any advice for the interview? i have mine coming up and i was wondering if any accepted students have any tips. thanks!!