2023-2024 Saint Louis University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they have a slight preference (nothing to back this up, just my experience) to ppl who have spent time in STL, like SLU/WashU undergrads, or STL born-and-raised. I'm a WashU undergrad and got in--it def helped with my application because I could speak very specifically to the STL patient population. Also I know they have the direct admit med scholar program from SLU undergrad to med school, so a large part of their class are SLU student in that program. I think it just helps if you're personally familiar with the area and have a connection to it. It also protects their retention rate--so there's a higher chance that people from that area will end up actually going to SLU, and not declining their acceptance offer.
Thank you! I am StL born and raised but went to college in Wisconsin (go Badgers), it looks like we might have been the reverse of each other.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any information/exprience regarding how SLU treats applicants from St. Louis? I am applying the upcoming cycle.
Born and raised in St Louis, so far SLU is my only acceptance. I think it definitely helped

Born and raised in St Louis, so far SLU is my only acceptance. I think it definitely helped
I am really doubtful of my chances, they seem to have a high GPA median and my GPA is tanked by a gross freshman year. Will certainly give it a shot though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for accepted students: In regards to the General Application for the SLU Scholarships, was anyone able to list more than 4 jobs under the "Employment Information" section?

+2. Did anyone get an A or were we all just intevirweing for the alt list since we were at the end of the interview season?

Withdrew my acceptance and scholarship, best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really doubtful of my chances, they seem to have a high GPA median and my GPA is tanked by a gross freshman year. Will certainly give it a shot though.
I know this may sound generic, but it is specific at least for SLU. I wouldn't worry about your GPA if there is an upward trend and it is 3.8+. Do well on the MCAT and you'll have a very good chance as long as you have clinical experience and fit their mission.

I still got accepted with a 3.6 cGPA which is slightly above their 10th percentile.

From my interview day, SLU values high levels of community service. I had roughly 2,750+ of volunteering hours which definitely boosted my chances.

I am seriously considering SLU as my PTE school (The other option is Indiana University). I like the mission of service to others and the school seems to also see me as a good fit. However, I am also agnostic and pretty pro-choice/pro-contraception so I am unsure if SLU's curriculum and general climate might come into conflict with these values. Has anyone had any experience with the presence of religion in SLU's curriculum? How is the experience for students who are not Catholic/religious?

This is an old article

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
I am seriously considering SLU as my PTE school (The other option is Indiana University). I like the mission of service to others and the school seems to also see me as a good fit. However, I am also agnostic and pretty pro-choice/pro-contraception so I am unsure if SLU's curriculum and general climate might come into conflict with these values. Has anyone had any experience with the presence of religion in SLU's curriculum? How is the experience for students who are not Catholic/religious?
Merging with existing thread to ask school-specific questions

Jesuit schools are pretty consistent in their approach to religion and faith: they don't evangelize religion, they promote social justice, which has been a keystone of Jesuit higher education since the start of the 20th Century. A Jesuit school may require you to take philosophy and theology not because they are trying to convert you to a particular religion or denomination, but because they want you to have the intellectual curiosity to search for life meanings that are both provable (scientific) and unprovable. Beyond the geographical, I can't speak much to the differences among SLU, Loyola (Stritch), Creighton, and Georgetown, but they all are more or less are going to follow the same ethical guideposts of all Jesuit institutions of higher ed.

You'll never see a Jesuit college or med school require its students go to church, much less any particular church. The student code of conduct looks like other mainstream schools' codes of conduct, and not like the Loma Linda example of behavioral restrictions based on that religion's dogma.

From what I’ve heard it’s not that religious at all. Nobody I’ve talked to has had a negative experience about it and I don't know a single person who goes there that is religious. They always say that if you ARE religious, there are opportunities for you to explore/deepen that faith, but that if you don't want to explore that it's not in your face at all.

However, be aware of the abortion laws in Missouri and how that will affect your education.

Last edited:
Just withdrew my A here. Hope one of yall's day gets made!

Withdrew my acceptance - good luck to those on the waitlist!

Did anyone else have a mini heart attack when they emailed yesterday confirming alt list positions?

Reactions: 4 users
does anyone know how many students are in the accepted students group me that are incoming m1s

withdrew my A yesterday evening! hope it goes to one of you all amazing people <3

got off the waitlist about 30 min ago

A off the waitlist too. Got an email. Will be withdrawing, all my best to everyone here !

Reactions: 3 users