2023-2024 Ponce (St. Louis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GroupMe went up by 1+ sitting at 26
That seems like pretty much the whole class if this counter is true. Not much room for those who recently interviewed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully there’s some communication this week.
Also, how long has it been full of 25 students before it got to be 26? Because it seems like quite a bit of people and doesnt leave room for MSMS students. was there a spike in acceptances?

Also, how long has it been full of 25 students before it got to be 26? Because it seems like quite a bit of people and doesnt leave room for MSMS students. was there a spike in acceptances?

I wouldn’t use the GroupMe as an accurate measurement of who will be attending. Some people have joined and been inactive. There’s also a current student (who has been extremely helpful…we want him to stay in the chat haha) included in this number. My hope is that people leave the chat upon realizing they don’t want to attend so that we can have an accurate number!

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn’t use the GroupMe as an accurate measurement of who will be attending. Some people have joined and been inactive. There’s also a current student (who has been extremely helpful…we want him to stay in the chat haha) included in this number. My hope is that people leave the chat upon realizing they don’t want to attend so that we can have an accurate number!
Good point Pinkscrubz. The GroupMe had been sitting at 25 for a while but as Med4sci pointed out, there could still be applicants rather than accepted students.

Just called admissions and they said everyone will have a decision by June 30th😭 seems so far away. Hopefully we know sooner! Good luck to us all

Just called admissions and they said everyone will have a decision by June 30th😭 seems so far away. Hopefully we know sooner! Good luck to us all
Is this just for people who don’t have decisions yet? Or currently waitlisted as well? The current school I’m going to starts June 24😭😭

Is this just for people who don’t have decisions yet? Or currently waitlisted as well? The current school I’m going to starts June 24😭😭
omg!!! I just asked when decisions would be out and that’s what the woman told me. I hope yours comes within the week

Members don't see this ad :)
That is my answer too.

At that point, it might as well be a post-II R from the institution. That is pretty late since the school starts the following month.
yea last year i did not receive an interview and my rejection was in june. But i have heard someone got accepted off the waitlist the first week of july

I spoke with someone from Ponce earlier this week and it was enlightening…

1. NOTE for future years: If you didn’t have your prerequisites complete by December 2023 you were assigned a pre-committee R. The committee never even looked at your application. Apparently, Rs will go out to those folks one day. This was kinda infuriating because they don't have a prerequisite deadline listed in the MSAR (most schools do) nor do they have it listed on their website. The silence was bad enough but this admission felt like a slap in the face. If that was listed, I certainly wouldn't have applied and they certainly wouldn't have gotten the $45 AMCAS fee and the $90 secondary fee from me.
  2. They are still conducting interviews for the MD program…apparently, they weren’t set up/staffed to do MMI and are seriously behind.
  3. MSMS folks are still being extended interviews now. See point 2.
  4. Only the top 20% of MSMS students are guaranteed interviews.
I was kinda shocked that they would try to pitch me their MSMS program after admitting they didn’t even look at my application but what I have learned about this process is that so many schools are shameless about the cash grab. For anyone considering applying for their MSMS program (I certainly won’t) it looks like they are willing to waive the program application fee if you applied to the MD program and the deadline is June 30th.

Good luck all. This wraps up my time in this thread but I wanted to pass on what was shared with me about the prerequisite deadline for folks who apply in future years.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Wow
yea last year i did not receive an interview and my rejection was in june. But i have heard someone got accepted off the waitlist the first week of july
So you got a pre-II R last time?

Are you a regular or MSMS applicant, whether it was last or this time?

1) If you didn’t have your prerequisites complete by December 2023 you were assigned a pre-committee R. The committee never even looked at your application. Apparently Rs will go out to those folks one day.
2) They are still conducting interviews for the MD program…apparently they weren’t set up/staffed to do MMI and are seriously behind.
3) MSMS folks are still being extended interviews now. See point 2.
4) Only the top 20% of MSMS students are guaranteed interviews.

I was kinda shocked that they would try to pitch me their MSMS program after admitting they didn’t even look at my application. For anyone considering applying for their MSMS program (I certainly won’t) it looks like they are willing to waive the program application fee if you applied to the MD program and the deadline is June 30th.

Good luck all. This wraps up my time in this thread but wanted to pass on what was shared with me.

Your information was very helpful. Thank you very much!

If you weren't part of the top 20% of MSMS students, does this mean that you had to be shuffled through committees to decide whether you got a II or not? Also, I'm wondering if being part of the top 20% gives you an edge in admissions or does it only help with snagging an interview.

The MSMS program isn't horrific, but you do have to put in the work for it. Like with other MSMS programs, it can give a dying record a fighting chance if you do well in it.

If you weren't part of the top 20% of MSMS students, does this mean that you had to be shuffled through committees to decide whether you got a II or not? Also, I'm wondering if being part of the top 20% gives you an edge in admissions or does it only help with snagging an interview.

The MSMS program isn't horrific, but you do have to put in the work for it. Like with other MSMS programs, it can give a dying record a fighting chance if you do well in it.
No idea. I applied to an SMP with a conditional acceptance and I waiting to hear back from there. Ponce St. Louis just isn't organized enough for me to spend anymore money with them.

I'm sure you are still in the running. Good luck!

I’ve been WL since April so I’m not hopeful but thank you sm for calling!
My Friend I would reach out and tell them your situation and hopefully they can get a decision to you sooner. Email wendy directly and if she can't do anything then go to Dean Polka. Good luck to you!

• Care
So you got a pre-II R last time?

Are you a regular or MSMS applicant, whether it was last or this time?
Yes, correct. I never received an invite last time and was rejected really late .I am a MSMS alumni

I think it just helps snagging an interview. It’s guaranteed. But i wouldnt rule out being an msms applicant either. Some students who were msms from what i know didnt have top 20 percent of the classy stats and got an interview and some are in the program

My Friend I would reach out and tell them your situation and hopefully they can get a decision to you sooner. Email wendy directly and if she can't do anything then go to Dean Polka. Good luck to you!
Friends in the MD program told me Palka is no longer with ponce. Wendy probably wont be helpful either. She seems to be vague about the process

• Wow
I think it just helps snagging an interview. It’s guaranteed. But i wouldnt rule out being an msms applicant either. Some students who were msms from what i know didnt have top 20 percent of the classy stats and got an interview and some are in the program
Man…I just hope a decent chunk of MSMS students interviewed get in.

No idea. I applied to an SMP with a conditional acceptance and I waiting to hear back from there. Ponce St. Louis just isn't organized enough for me to spend anymore money with them.

I'm sure you are still in the running. Good luck!
I wish you luck with your journey as well. Once again, thank you for your info dump.

Friends in the MD program told me Palka is no longer with ponce. Wendy probably wont be helpful either. She seems to be vague about the process
Oh really that’s wild! She was there for my tour in April so must have been super recent…well good too her on the next job I guess! Wendy was pretty instrumental for me, but idk it might be different when it’s this late! Well anyways good luck!

1. NOTE for future years: If you didn’t have your prerequisites complete by December 2023 you were assigned a pre-committee R. The committee never even looked at your application. Apparently, Rs will go out to those folks one day. This was kinda infuriating because they don't have a prerequisite deadline listed in the MSAR (most schools do) nor do they have it listed on their website. The silence was bad enough but this admission felt like a slap in the face. If that was listed, I certainly wouldn't have applied and they certainly wouldn't have gotten the $45 AMCAS fee and the $90 secondary fee from me.
  2. They are still conducting interviews for the MD program…apparently, they weren’t set up/staffed to do MMI and are seriously behind.
  3. MSMS folks are still being extended interviews now. See point 2.
  4. Only the top 20% of MSMS students are guaranteed interviews.
I was kinda shocked that they would try to pitch me their MSMS program after admitting they didn’t even look at my application but what I have learned about this process is that so many schools are shameless about the cash grab. For anyone considering applying for their MSMS program (I certainly won’t) it looks like they are willing to waive the program application fee if you applied to the MD program and the deadline is June 30th.

Good luck all. This wraps up my time in this thread but I wanted to pass on what was shared with me about the prerequisite deadline for folks who apply in future years.
Yeah majority of masters programs are a money grab. Most adcom will even tell you a master's will not help you get into medical school. Definitely better to do an SMP with linkage. When you really look at it, the majority of students who get a masters were already competitive to begin with so in a sense they never really needed it. These are the students they use as success stories. There are exceptions to this rule but it's uncommon.

Yeah majority of masters programs are a money grab. Most adcom will even tell you a master's will not help you get into medical school. Definitely better to do an SMP with linkage. When you really look at it, the majority of students who get a masters were already competitive to begin with so in a sense they never really needed it. These are the students they use as success stories. There are exceptions to this rule but it's uncommon.
It frankly depends.

In my cohort, most of us took heavy blows academically that necessitated a SMP - abysmal records with failures and mediocre numbers over years. These aren't factors that could be easily fixed with a post-bacc.

Of course, the best way to have approached med was to have done it perfectly the first time. If I could go back in time, that was what I would've done - stop focusing on having the so-called college experience and buckle down to prevent this sort of slapdash patch job.

Last edited:
The MSMS program was a great experience for me personally. However, I did go into the program naively thinking that it would directly help me get into a MD program.
The first half of my undergrad GPA is a bit a disaster due to life circumstances, but I had greatly improved my grades when I was able to return back to school. Even with my success on the second go, my GPA was/is not competitive. I had hoped that with my significant upward trend in my bachelor’s and my success in this master’s program that I would have a good chance to get in somewhere.
Unfortunately, I think that I was automatically rejected through most of the MD programs that I applied to because of my undergrad gpa, so the committees didn’t even get to acknowledge my improvements.
I still hope to hear good news from Ponce, because I feel that they are actually looking at my application as a whole, but I know there just aren’t many spots for us MS alum. I personally know several people I’m in the running against, and they are amazing candidates and good people. So, of course, I wish them the best, but it does make me feel a bit somber about my own chances, especially with how long this process is taking.
This was a bit of a tangent, but this is basically the advice I give prospective MS students. I think the workload and type of this program will help set you up for success because it gives you a head start to learning how to study and manage time. It has also helped students to solidify their plans or to change their career paths to something they are more likely to succeed. I know several students who struggled through the masters and decided MD wasn’t the route for them and they are looking into different careers in medicine. I also tell them though, if they are interested in the program to help counter there undergrad GPA, then they should do a postbach instead.
So if there are any prospective MS students in this thread, I hope my experiences help you!
To everyone waiting for a decision, good luck! I hope to see you all in July. 🤞

Reactions: 2 users
Bit of a late reply, but I got the A on Monday at 10:50 am.

Interviewed 4/26; OS (with strong ties to MO); ORM; undergrad GPA ~3.4, MSMS GPA 4.0; MCAT 503; research, clinical, and leadership experience

Reactions: 8 users

Interviewed 4/26; OS (with strong ties to MO); ORM; undergrad GPA ~3.4, MSMS GPA 4.0; MCAT 503; research, clinical, and leadership experience
MD to be manifested it

Reactions: 2 users

You got a 4.0 in the MSMS program?! Amazing!

Congrats on your achievement.

Congrats! Are gonna attend or go to another school?

I’m honestly really sussed out by this place. I received my first A today from another school and when I went to choose your medical school, Ponce didn’t even show up as an alternate list even though I got the WL email in April. Anyway I will be withdrawing from the WL good luck!

I’m honestly really sussed out by this place. I received my first A today from another school and when I went to choose your medical school, Ponce didn’t even show up as an alternate list even though I got the WL email in April. Anyway I will be withdrawing from the WL good luck!
Congrats!