2023-2024 SUNY Upstate (Norton)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 SUNY Upstate (Norton) Secondary Essay Prompts

1. If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June (2023), please provide a brief statement indicating your plans for the upcoming academic year.

2. Which medical specialty do you currently plan to pursue?

3. You might consider yourself disadvantaged if you grew up in an area that was medically or underserved or had insufficient access to educational opportunities. Do you consider yourself within this description? If you answer Yes please explain your particular circumstances regarding why you consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant.

4. Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. In 500 words or less, please answer the following question:
As a potential partner in this effort, please describe your commitment to eliminating health inequities, discrimination, or other forms of social injustice

5. If you are interested in Primary Care, are you interested in receiving more information about potential scholarship opportunities?

6. We understand that the COVID-19 crisis disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
SUNY - Upstate Medical University College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received MSTP.

Anyone able to get in??

IS Secondary received but unable to login

Reactions: 3 users
IS secondary received, was able to login! here are the prompts: (same as last years)

If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please provide a brief statement indicating your plans for the upcoming academic year.

Which medical specialty do you currently plan to pursue?

You might consider yourself disadvantaged if you grew up in an area that was medically or underserved or had insufficient access to educational opportunities. Do you consider yourself within this description? If you answer Yes please explain your particular circumstances regarding why you consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant.

Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. In 500 words or less, please answer the following question:
As a potential partner in this effort, please describe your commitment to eliminating health inequities, discrimination, or other forms of social injustice

If you are interested in Primary Care, are you interested in receiving more information about potential scholarship opportunities?

We understand that the COVID-19 crisis disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19.

IS secondary received, was able to login! here are the prompts: (same as last years)

If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please provide a brief statement indicating your plans for the upcoming academic year.

You might consider yourself disadvantaged if you grew up in an area that was medically or underserved or had insufficient access to educational opportunities. Do you consider yourself within this description? If you answer Yes please explain your particular circumstances regarding why you consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant.

Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. In 500 words or less, please answer the following question:

If you are interested in Primary Care, are you interested in receiving more information about potential scholarship opportunities?

We understand that the COVID-19 crisis disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19.
for your login did you do follow the format they provided with the A in front? Then for pin MMDDYY ?

I just called the help number. They know about the issue. We will get an email when fixed

Reactions: 1 user
@kamilers thanks! For the medical speciality question, is it a drop down or is there a word limit for that question?

Has anyone been able to log in yet? I logged in, and am super confused. The essay question says 500 words, but the text box is limited to 1800 characters. I called admissions and they said they didn't know anything about that and gave me someone to email

Has anyone been able to log in yet? I logged in, and am super confused. The essay question says 500 words, but the text box is limited to 1800 characters. I called admissions and they said they didn't know anything about that and gave me someone to email
I would just do 1800 chars tbh. 500 words too long tf!

Members don't see this ad :)

@wysdoc

Just tried it and it worked for me! Was not working for me when I received the secondary yesterday afternoon.

Is anyone having an issue with the character limit? My diversity essay is well below the 1800 character limit but I keep getting the error message :/

Is anyone having an issue with the character limit? My diversity essay is well below the 1800 character limit but I keep getting the error message :/
The character limits seem to be working fine but I'm having weird glitches when I try to save things. My browser does not like banner. I haven't used a banner site since I was in college in 2010 LOL

Website so janky lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
For anybody who has submitted yet, when you try to view your completed application do you see all your essays or just a summary? I only see the summary and want to make sure it wasn't like my application didn't save properly.

For anybody who has submitted yet, when you try to view your completed application do you see all your essays or just a summary? I only see the summary and want to make sure it wasn't like my application didn't save properly.
Just a summary. It said somewhere, I think maybe an email, that we wouldn’t be able to see our app anymore once we submit

For the financial aid assitance, do we just forward the email to them since there isn't an official document to upload?

Is anyone still have trouble logging in? I guess I’ll email them tmrw AM

the essay length is 1800 characters not 500words, right? Also there is a section to attach FAP I believe? can someone confirm?

Anyone still waiting for secondary :(?

Reactions: 1 users
the essay length is 1800 characters not 500words, right? Also there is a section to attach FAP I believe? can someone confirm?
Yes they are and yes there is! I forget exactly how to get to it because I went through each section of the application. It eventually took me to a screen that had information on payment and gave instructions on how to upload the FAP waiver.

2023-2024 SUNY Upstate (Norton) Secondary Essay Prompts

1. If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June (2023), please provide a brief statement indicating your plans for the upcoming academic year.

2. Which medical specialty do you currently plan to pursue?

3. You might consider yourself disadvantaged if you grew up in an area that was medically or underserved or had insufficient access to educational opportunities. Do you consider yourself within this description? If you answer Yes please explain your particular circumstances regarding why you consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant.

4. Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. In 500 words or less, please answer the following question:

5. If you are interested in Primary Care, are you interested in receiving more information about potential scholarship opportunities?

6. We understand that the COVID-19 crisis disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
SUNY - Upstate Medical University College of Medicine Interview Feedback
Isn't the 2nd question just prompting a one-line answer. Like "I am currently very interested in _____"

For anyone who has access to the secondary, is the medical speciality a drop down question or a 1800 character essay, please?

For anyone who has access to the secondary, is the medical speciality a drop down question or a 1800 character essay, please?
Not a drop down, a 1800 character essay

Anyone's application just disappear after submitting? I received the jankiest email confirming receipt of my secondary and that's it. The portal shows that no such secondary exists, and the email I received is empty but contains a text file that reads "[Name] has submitted an on-line Medicine Supplemental application."

Did everyone already receive their SUNY upstate secondary. Ik they came out on July 13th and now I’m starting to think I didn’t make the cut.
Take a deep breath.
The very first secondaries were sent out less than a week ago.
They are only human and have hundreds/maybe thousands of applications to process.
If you have done everything that is within your control, then you're good!

Attend to other tasks and check your emails daily

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
So are you guys answering the what specialty Q in like 1-2 sentences or paragraphs

II 07/19, complete 07/17, IS strong ties to Syracuse area. It started, good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users