affirmative action thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by crazyA
I think the concensus on this board thus far is that only go to schools ranked BELOW #2 if you want a residency like janitor-ology or internal medicine.

oh my god, crazyA, you need to help me look at these matchlists, how do I analyze them? :confused: I just looked at the matchlist for one of the school's I got into and...*gasp* people actually are going into internal medicine!!!! even pediatrics!!! :scared: Granted, many of those matches were at IM programs at Mayo, Brigham and Women's, Mass General, and UCSF, but how can I expect to get a decent education out of a school that actually sends people into internal medicine? :( and orthopaedic surgery and ENT matchs at Long Island Jewish? Who the hell has ever heard of them? :mad: Obviously, I should have found the school that places 100 percent of its graduates at Hopkins otorhinolaryngology +pity+

If I wanted to do something completely useless like internal medicine, I would be going to one of those substandard quakery factories you might refer to as a non top 50 school :rolleyes:

hehe, janitor-ology, haha i'm cracking up at that one ;)

Members don't see this ad.

ok hi all. i was hoping for a little help. you see, i'm in 7th grade and i was wondering how my psat score is going to look to adcoms. i also am having a really hard time choosing between northern michigan university, central michigan university, western michigan university and eastern michigan university. does anyone have any advice on these programs, as far as their premed reputation goes?

also, how many people out there have a mediocre mcat score and above a 3.769 and are still rejected from their state chiropractic med school as well as their state cosmetology school? now i don't want to know about your ECs or your recs, just whether or not your score was mediocre. i'm confident i can keep above a 3.769 (but really only if i go to central, i hear eastern is in the ghetto and you could get shot, which would hurt my grades for that semester but would give me good things to write about in my personal statement.... *reconsiders EMU*) ... but i'm worried about getting a 29 and not a 30 on the mcat, seeing as my psat indicated that i wouldn't be scoring much above a 1100 on the SAT. *sigh*

anyone able to help me here??

we really do have all those 'directional' schools in michigan... even eastern... yes EMU. i know.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is so freaking funny, GoodMonkey!!! I nearly fell outta my chair!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Spin

you mean theres no southern michigan university?? I think I sense a gap in the market.... ;)

GoodMonkey gets a prize. :laugh:

You bitchez ain't NEVA gonna get into med schoo!!

YOU FOO!!!!

let me tell you about my cousin, who recently quit SDN. i think it's my duty as this user's cousin (and fellow roommate, but let's not get ahead of ourselves), to let everyone know about his premed journey and his quirks. (by the way, is this convincing yet?)

i would write more but my laziness has overcome my artistic energy.

as long as you're not "determined" to convince its okay to lie your way thru a med school interview, I'd love to hear about how your cousin has "banged" more chicks in your family than you have.

guyz -

u gots to watch out for moskeeto, man. this guy, he only want to make trouble against me becuase i am a pacifist and a handsome girl. he never say nothing productive or contribute to dis forum. i posted this on the HVAC thread too, so mods go ahead and ban me for double posting, i dont care.

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
ok hi all. i was hoping for a little help. you see, i'm in 7th grade and i was wondering how my psat score is going to look to adcoms. i also am having a really hard time choosing between northern michigan university, central michigan university, western michigan university and eastern michigan university. does anyone have any advice on these programs, as far as their premed reputation goes?

also, how many people out there have a mediocre mcat score and above a 3.769 and are still rejected from their state chiropractic med school as well as their state cosmetology school? now i don't want to know about your ECs or your recs, just whether or not your score was mediocre. i'm confident i can keep above a 3.769 (but really only if i go to central, i hear eastern is in the ghetto and you could get shot, which would hurt my grades for that semester but would give me good things to write about in my personal statement.... *reconsiders EMU*) ... but i'm worried about getting a 29 and not a 30 on the mcat, seeing as my psat indicated that i wouldn't be scoring much above a 1100 on the SAT. *sigh*

anyone able to help me here??

Have you checked your horoscope recently? Your birthday is December 26th, so this makes you a Capricorn. Your Astrocenter.com horoscope today reads:

"If you are finding that you are needy today, you might consider seeking counsel from others, dear Capricorn. Close partners might make light of the situation, so if you are looking for any deep metaphysical advice, you might want to look elsewhere. Most of all, pamper yourself with some relaxing downtime. This day is well suited for playing board games, watching a video, or reading the latest edition of your favorite magazine."

So you have done the right thing by asking SDNers for advice. :D Obviously, you should go to Central. EMU doesn't sound like the place for Milton Bradley. :D

anybody else really offended by jm's avatar? also, i did some research and I found this:

Originally posted by jmwalker
Sometimes I get so mad at the fact that as a doc I'll have to work around blood I actually go home and drown bunny rabbits in my toilet.

you're sick jm, sick

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is freagin hysterical!!! :clap: I am relatively new here and I thought that everyone had a pole up their a**. I am glad to know that there are cool premeds who I might meet should I get in to medical school.

Oh yes and I think the movie Office Space is awesome!

I am sitting in my little work cubicle right now and this page made me laugh. Takes away the boredom....

THANKS!!! +pissed+

For future reference altoid, it is never safe to click on any thread with the words affirmative action thread in the title. You got lucky this time, but be careful in the future. Run away from those threads. Terribly fast.

I am heading to medical in late summer, and I was wondering if anybody was planning on buying underwear for school?

Any opinions? Without starting a flame war and getting into the whole boxers vs. briefs debate, I was just wondering what current medical students would suggest. Have you found underwear useful? Do you wear it to class? I was at the store the other day and looking at a pair of boxes with a built in flyhole, but I was wondering if it would be out of date after a year or so, and I didn't see anyway to upgrade it. I know there are lots of different brands, any specific recommendations. Jockeys seem very popular, but Haines seems to be more stylish and come in lots of colors, though they also tend to be more expensive.

Well anyway, if you already have underwear please let us know your opinions. I am sure there are lots of us out here, currently debating this issue.

PS. The Financial Aid office at UTSW said we could borrow money to buy underwear, so I should have money to buy a fairly good pair.

QUOTE]Oh yes and I think the movie Office Space is awesome![/QUOTE]

Hey Altoid--

PC LOAD LETTER forever!!!

hey cabruen, whatever you decide just know that you can't go wrong with lace. it'll always be in style and if feels soooo nice against the skin.
also, you should feel greatly honored to have your question answered by the person with the best avatar on SDN.*
peace out

not including xealia's avatar.

Originally posted by cabruen
The Financial Aid office at UTSW said we could borrow money to buy underwear, so I should have money to buy a fairly good pair.

Whoa there, big spender. Keep in mind: If you live like a doctor when you're a student, you'll be living like a student when you're a doctor. Whatever you pay for underwear with your loan money, you'll eventually be repaying three-fold once interest is factored in. Ask yourself, is it really worth it? When you're a resident and you can barely afford a roof over your head and food on your table, you'll be cursing the day you ever splurged on those fancy-schmancy boxers.

You're best just sticking with the underwear you have. If it is imperitive that you buy new underwear, or if you've been going without for all these years and finally thought you'd buy some for med school, I would just buy the very minimum, e.g. plain cotton from the Dollar Store. Or even try shopping around for used, or "pre-owned" underwear at a local thrift shop.

umm.. you guys are all so wrong about the underwear thing... hello real med students don't wear underwear... what and get panty lines on your scrubs?!? why do you think most scrubs are reversable?

Underwear! I don't even plan on wearing clothes! Well, excpet for maybe the skins of the bunnies i have drowned.

origionally posted by moskeeto
I AM A BIG GIANT DORK. I AM A BIG GIANT DORK. I AM A BIG GIANT DORK
:D

And your avatar is disssssssssssssssssssssssgusting!

I just want to apologize in advance for this post, but I need help deciding where to go.

Anyway, here's my dilemma: I was accepted at Case Western and at Yale. While both are great programs, I can't decide which would be more dangerous to attend. On the one hand there's Case, where someone might pop a cap in my arse. On the other hand there's Yale, where I might catch a piece of shrapnel in my arse. Please help me decide, and please, no hate mail.

Originally posted by wolferman
I just want to apologize in advance for this post, but I need help deciding where to go.

Anyway, here's my dilemma: I was accepted at Case Western and at Yale. While both are great programs, I can't decide which would be more dangerous to attend. On the one hand there's Case, where someone might pop a cap in my arse. On the other hand there's Yale, where I might catch a piece of shrapnel in my arse. Please help me decide, and please, no hate mail.

Well that all depends. Have you ever been a target of transsexual clown rape gangs? If so, then stay away from Yale.

On the other hand though, if you do go to Yale you can gain clinically relevant experience by removing shrapnel and *other objects* from your arse which will impress residency program directors--especially for general surgery.

Bottom line is though, you can get into a great residency from any medschool regadless of what you pull out of your arse.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by Explosivo
Well that all depends. Have you ever been a target of transsexual clown rape gangs? If so, then stay away from Yale.

On the other hand though, if you do go to Yale you can gain clinically relevant experience by removing shrapnel and *other objects* from your arse which will impress residency program directors--especially for general surgery.

Bottom line is though, you can get into a great residency from any medschool regadless of what you pull out of your arse.

Hope this helps!

Dam, this is funny !:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Cerberus
Do URMS get too much/not enough attention when applying to HVAC schools?

discuss!

Listen you clueless *****, everyone knows URMs get free rides to HVAC schools. Of course they get more attention. Can't you see that HVAC schools were built specifically to keep the white man down!

Geez, just ask Ernham! Do I really have to tell you this?

Man, I was on the way to the testing center in my '02 suburban, while talking on my cell phone, and this white dude in a '78 VW cuts me off. He did just cause I'm black and stuff. Because of him I got a low MCAT!

Listen you clueless *****, everyone knows URMs get free rides to HVAC schools. Of course they get more attention. Can't you see that HVAC schools were built specifically to keep the white man down!

Geez, just ask Ernham! Do I really have to tell you this?

Yo, yo, biznatch! Man, wez be desrving those spots, biotch. I was once called a stupid poo-poo head in 2nd grade. Scarred me for life. My GPA, my MCAT, my common sense. You feel me, dawg? Biotch adcoms beta recognize my 2.3 gpa and 21 MCAT.

Originally posted by Ernham
Man, I was on the way to the testing center in my '02 suburban, while talking on my cell phone, and this white dude in a '78 VW cuts me off. He did just cause I'm black and stuff. Because of him I got a low MCAT!

What was your MCAT Score? Which med school are you going to?

Originally posted by MedguyNYC
What was your MCAT Score? Which med school are you going to?

21... Harvard. Columbya wuldn't gib me a free ride. Fuq dat.

The thread's been infiltrated! :(

Originally posted by Nefertari
The thread's been infiltrated! :(
owned.jpg

Ernham,
Why did you change your avator, did you get tired of people throwing tomatoes in your face each time you post something? :laugh:

Originally posted by Raptor
Ernham,
Why did you change your avator, did you get tired of people throwing tomatoes in your face each time you post something? :laugh:

Nah. It just got old. I'm working on a mo' bettah one.

I do truly love this thread. Unfortunately I have nothing new or witty to add. Today.

Originally posted by jmwalker
I do truly love this thread. Unfortunately I have nothing new or witty to add. Today.

I wouldn't either if I was knee deep in sheep shiznit. :laugh:

its always interesting to read some of the future doctors racist remarks when discussing something as sensitive as AA.

its always interesting to read some of the future doctors racist remarks when discussing something as sensitive as AA.

dude, you do understand that this entire thread, well except for Ernham, is complete sarcasm? Right?

Please everyone forgive me...this is my first time posting. I'm sure this has been asked before also, again forgive me. Seeing how most of us have been accepted into medical school. It is time to ask questions regarding some very important issues. Is it okay to wear a hunter green suit with macthing cock ring to my white coat ceremony? Also, shall I bring an exact replica of my cock ring for whoever places the white coat on me...or does a hug and a "good job" smack on the a$$ sufice?

I guess the most important issue though is who I should give my tickets to, since I'm limited to only two for the ceremony. Although my parents bore me into this world and would love nothing more to see the ceremony, my interviewer gauranteed an acceptance if I did that thing with my lips. Can you see the amount of decisions I need to make in the coming months. I thought all the stress was over once I was accepted. Please help me.

dude, you do understand that this entire thread, well except for Ernham, is complete sarcasm? Right?

i have been lurking throughout this thread for days and as far as I understand there are a lot of ignorant people out there. Well, of course I was excluding Ernham because everything that he wrote in this thread was correct.:rolleyes: . Man, do I think that everyone should think like Ernham. Besides I know that he is ALWAYS right because I seen him walk on water yesterday. :laugh: :rolleyes: :cool:

Originally posted by Dr. Will

I guess the most important issue though is who I should give my tickets to, since I'm limited to only two for the ceremony. Although my parents bore me into this world and would love nothing more to see the ceremony, my interviewer gauranteed an acceptance if I did that thing with my lips. help me.

Dude - no sweat! Look - I did the same thing for my interviewer and had the same EXACT worry! But hey - then I realized that my interviewed AUTOMATICALLY gets to go to he white coat ceremony as part of being on of the admissions staff. I tell you what - they raise 'em smart here down on the farm. Now - invite your 'rents and thas cool.

Who started this thread anyways and whatever happened to DW???????:confused:

where do you all get those pics, they are funny as chips.

where do you all get those pics, they are funny as chips.

Itz a white thang.

Originally posted by Ernham
Itz a white thang.

Oh really...uhm...well...I am not going to start...anyways, nice avator. :rolleyes: