affirmative action thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To wit:

I just wanted to make an announcement to all of you lofting forth the piteous cries of "What are my chances?" You sould know that unless you've already applied you have absolutely NO chance of ever getting into medical school. In fact, schools notice those who apply late, and their permanent record is forever marked with the "lazy" tag. HOnestly, if you didn't have all of your stuff in by 1 July, you have no place being a doctor. You'll probably end up killing all of your patients someday. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

EvoDevo said:
To wit:

I just wanted to make an announcement to all of you lofting forth the piteous cries of "What are my chances?" You sould know that unless you've already applied you have absolutely NO chance of ever getting into medical school. In fact, schools notice those who apply late, and their permanent record is forever marked with the "lazy" tag. HOnestly, if you didn't have all of your stuff in by 1 July, you have no place being a doctor. You'll probably end up killing all of your patients someday. :rolleyes:

Ouch. That hurts :(

Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't have any acceptances by now, I'm never going to get any am I? It really doesn't matter if I cured AIDS AND fed all of Africa; I didn't submit my AMCAS in June and thus I am forever doomed.

*hands head in shame*

Sweet Tea said:
If I don't have any acceptances by now, I'm never going to get any am I? It really doesn't matter if I cured AIDS AND fed all of Africa; I didn't submit my AMCAS in June and thus I am forever doomed.

*hands head in shame*
Yep. Time to start getting the app ready for next year. I suggest you go live in a shack in Central America and learn to heal with first aid kits. Then, maybe you'll have enough clinical exposure.

EvoDevo said:
*sigh*

Hey yposhelley: 'Tis done

Yay!!! I hope it brings others as much comic relief as it did me! :D

Zoobaby said:
If we want to add a loungelike feel, we could always talk about Anna Kornikova's butt, or why Indian girls are so hot...

Why are Indian girls so hot? They all are too!

Can we talk about Rick Fox's hair?

fever5 said:
Why are Indian girls so hot? They all are too!

I only wish.....generally, its the North Indian chicks who are smoking hot. The southies can make you run for the hills.

As it so happens, I am from South India....

NYCDesi said:
I only wish.....generally, its the North Indian chicks who are smoking hot. The southies can make you run for the hills.

As it so happens, I am from South India....

that is so :mad: :mad: :mad:

i know plenty of beautiful south indian women. the problem is they don't have 'beautiful fair skin' :rolleyes: and that's something men of all ethnic groups just have such hang-ups about.

care bear said:
that is so :mad: :mad: :mad:

i know plenty of beautiful south indian women. the problem is they don't have 'beautiful fair skin' :rolleyes: and that's something men of all ethnic groups just have such hang-ups about.
There are tons of dark skinned beauties (Pooja Kumar for example, she was Miss India-USA).

Trust me, it has nothing to do with "fair skin" (altho that might help compensate).

I think that people are starting to miss the valuable importantance of this thread.

Just so everyone knows...Hunter Green is out. Seafoam is in.

I heard from my friend's friend, who has a sister who's dating this guy's brother who talked with his uncle's friend's sister who is on the admission's comittee and she said that apparently seafoam is the preferred choice this application season.

reddyroo said:
Just so everyone knows...Hunter Green is out. Seafoam is in.

I heard from my friend's friend, who has a sister who's dating this guy's brother who talked with his uncle's friend's sister who is on the admission's comittee and she said that apparently seafoam is the preferred choice this application season.
:scared: This totally sucks ! I wish I would have read this BEFORE my interview! Here I am, thinking I was dressed to kill, with my hunter green dress, complete with built in shoulder pads, a feather boa, Converse high tops, and a lab coat (you know, to *look* the part) :eek: Damn! ANd the whole time I should have been wearing Seafoam! Egads! Now, all I have to fall back on is my work with the orphans of Southeast Asia, my Nobel Prize, the three blow jobs I gave during the interviews, and my 45T! :scared:

Woe is me........ :(

Members don't see this ad :)
But seriously, is research important to medical schools? I mean I know that EVERY DISEASE EVER CURED...EVER has been researched at one point, and you can't cure disease without it, but do med schools really look favorably upon it? I don't have any research, or clinical experience, and my scores are 1.39/6C, so whatdoyouthink? I really need ur opinion bc i'm to lazee 2 do my own G*& D&%N research on med schools.

Just thought I'd bump this old classic for the applying class of 2007 from the applying class of 2003, its good for more than a few laughs. Seems like just yesterday I was stressing about getting in to med school, now I'm stressing about residency....

Right on... what is up with letting minorities into medical school easier? That is like.... reverse discrimination!!!

ChymeChancellor said:
Right on... what is up with letting minorities into medical school easier? That is like.... reverse discrimination!!!

:laugh: Dude .... (uh, thats all I can think to say). Good luck with that. :luck:

Haemulon said:
:laugh: Dude .... (uh, thats all I can think to say). Good luck with that. :luck:

Who even invented affirmative action? George Washington Carver... :p :sleep:

ChymeChancellor said:
Who even invented affirmative action? George Washington Carver... :p :sleep:

Your killing me here :laugh: Ok, I'm just watching. That is all. (ducks into corner flame-bunker as neutral observer)

Haemulon said:
Your killing me here :laugh: Ok, I'm just watching. That is all. (ducks into corner flame-bunker as neutral observer)

I don't think anyone takes me seriously anymore... you may come out of the corner.... :sleep:

OrthoFixation said:
Could someone explain to me why the majority of pro athletes are black, yet no one ever claims discrimination based on color? Isn't this the same?

Oh contrar, a lot of pro athletes arent black. There are more whites in professional sports-i.e. football, basketball, baseball, etc-then minorities. Check the NCAA website to see how many athletes of different race goes professional. Sorry for bring this thread to life, i didnt know it was still in existence.

tumblr_m1zf5hFoJU1qipzp7.jpg

The fabled URM thread of 2002. The bards sing songs of its glory!

I'm on page two, god some of these people still post!

I think affirmative action is necessary, however should change to a income based approach. Poor african-americans are much different than wealthy african-americans and deserve the true leg-up.

I think affirmative action is necessary, however should change to a income based approach. Poor african-americans are much different than wealthy african-americans and deserve the true leg-up.

+1

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

seriously

yep

This is actually not true. The Grand Canyon-esque performance gap between Asians/Whites and Blacks/Hispanics is present at every income level. That leaves us with three options:

1. Asiand and whites are naturally smarter. Nonstarter.

2. Black and Hispanic families, regardless of income level, don't emphasize education. This is a tenable theory. However, it's not politically correct to tell people to stop focusing on matching hats and shoes, swag, grillz, street cred, and ballin', and instead maybe hit the library every so often, so let's not go there.

3. There is rampant modern racism, institutional discrimation, and bigotry in our society, so we need affirmative action based on race. Sadly, this is our only choice.

This is actually not true. The Grand Canyon-esque performance gap between Asians/Whites and Blacks/Hispanics is present at every income level. That leaves us with three options:

2. Black and Hispanic families, regardless of income level, don't emphasize education. This is a tenable theory. However, it's not politically correct to tell people to stop focusing on matching hats and shoes, swag, grillz, street cred, and ballin', and instead maybe hit the library every so often, so let's not go there.

3. There is rampant modern racism, institutional discrimation, and bigotry in our society, so we need affirmative action based on race. Sadly, this is our only choice.

:uhno:

No Santorum surge tonight. :smuggrin:

:uhno:

No Santorum surge tonight. :smuggrin:

He pulled out so there won't be any more Santorum surges for a while. Hopefully next time around he'll get in it, stay in it, and give us the Santorum surge we've been waiting for. Personally I thought he was in a really good position -- right behind Romney, preparing for a big surge, with two guys right behind him waiting to also surge. But then he had to pull out. Happens to the best of us!

He pulled out so there won't be any more Santorum surges for a while. Hopefully next time around he'll get in it, stay in it, and give us the Santorum surge we've been waiting for. Personally I thought he was in a really good position -- right behind Romney, preparing for a big surge, with two guys right behind him waiting to also surge. But then he had to pull out. Happens to the best of us!
:bow:

I hate it when I have to pull out right before a surge....

I hate it when I have to pull out right before a surge....

I'm so glad I didn't say it first. ;)

In the original spirit of this thread, I have a question:

I spent over $1,000 applying to different med schools hoping to get in at least one of them. Well, lo and behold, I ended up getting into exactly one. But it was only a "safety school". Not a REAL safety school in the sense of the word (I wouldn't go there). Should I take 2 years off and apply again once I can get into a med school I really want? Thanks for the help.

I spent over $1,000 applying to different med schools hoping to get in at least one of them. Well, lo and behold, I ended up getting into exactly one. But it was only a "safety school". Not a REAL safety school in the sense of the word (I wouldn't go there). Should I take 2 years off and apply again once I can get into a med school I really want? Thanks for the help.

yeah if its quillen I would

Know nothing about Quillen. Why isn't it a REAL safety? I can't imagine not taking an acceptance and subjecting myself to this brutal process again.

:whoa:

you must not be white or asian.

DOWN WITH AA!

edit: oh hahaha. never mind. I just started reading the thread.

SAMOA! I had an email message that this ancient thread was bumped, haven't been here in ages. Hope you are well!

This thread brings back happy memories of being an young lab tech dutifully applying to med school 10 years ago. I wonder if the kids applying these days are as neurotic about it as back then. I don't remember any anxious posters about those "grown up" topics that us about to finish residency deal with such as "restrictive covenants", "tail coverage", and such, but I will be glad to start teasing those people if they start posting on SDN :p

Hope everyone is well and hopefully this is just a teeny reminder not to take this process too seriously. I wonder what the rest of the gang (Sweet Tea, cabruen, womansurg, Explosivo, etc) are up but hope they are all well. If you're out there, send me a message! And just for good measure I am going to wear a hunter green sweater to work tommorrow, BECAUSE I CAN! :laugh:

yeah if its quillen I would

Ouch, bro....My last post was a joke....This AA thread got started to laugh about threads that were created by neurotic premeds.

Know nothing about Quillen. Why isn't it a REAL safety? I can't imagine not taking an acceptance and subjecting myself to this brutal process again.

See above....Quillen is the med school at East Tennessee State University. I wanted to go to the state school and would much rather go here rather than go to Memphis and get mugged.

Now that the can of worms have been opened: what is it about ETSU (Quillen) that would cause you to decline an MD acceptance, delay the process for two more years, only to reapply all over again and face that uncertainty?

Psst...your insecurity is showing.