affirmative action thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Dr Chooch
By the way, Explosivo, is there a GPA/MCAT cutoff for acceptance into this club. Please respond ASAP.

hell yeah. anyone with an gpa/mcat of above 2.0 and 15 is NOT allowed into this club!

teinII i guess that leaves just you and me.

chips
TeinII Fanclub
Membership chair

Members don't see this ad.

By the way, Explosivo, is there a GPA/MCAT cutoff for acceptance into this club. Please respond ASAP.

There are no GPA/MCAT cutoffs for this club. All you must do is eat shiet and NOT die. This of course confers power unto you to command others to eat shiet AND die.

Ah yes, we also require 3 letters of recommendation from your local pimp as well. No exceptions.

Originally posted by Explosivo
There are no GPA/MCAT cutoffs for this club. All you must do is eat shiet and NOT die. This of course confers power unto you to command others to eat shiet AND die.

Ah yes, we also require 3 letters of recommendation from your local pimp as well. No exceptions.

Yo, I eat shiet every day, and that doesn't seem to be a problem since I'm not dead yet. But are you sure you don't wanna see my EC's though. I started a troll only group at school, I've been a troll tutor for over 2 years, and I flog the troll every night. Is that good enough? If I am one of the privileged, please add me to the troll list on the Fanclub thread. Thank you, oh troll master.

:p

Members don't see this ad :)
what is with you people eating poo right, left, and center!
can we please get our collective heads out of the toilet please.

by the way, chooch, what did you mean when you said you flog the troll nightly? teehee :p

Originally posted by silvercholla
Okay so I need everyone here to answer all of my interview questions for me. Like
1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why medicine

I can't be expected to answer these questions onmy own!!!! AAARRRGGGGHHHH I can't take it!!!

I really mean it guys... I'm a freshman in college and people can't possibly expect me to answer my own interview questions, I mean really, I have to study and do EC's and have a well rounded social life. Come on... you guys have no chance whatsoever so at least help me out!!!

Originally posted by mvervaine
what is with you people eating poo right, left, and center!
can we please get our collective heads out of the toilet please.

by the way, chooch, what did you mean when you said you flog the troll nightly? teehee :p

This thread is "the toilet" of SDN :D

Originally posted by silvercholla
Okay so I need everyone here to answer all of my interview questions for me. Like
1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why medicine

I can't be expected to answer these questions onmy own!!!! AAARRRGGGGHHHH I can't take it!!!

For the love of God - why are you even attempting to answer questions yourself?!? :eek:

Do what I, and any other premed intelligent enough to get into med school, do - use one of those hand-held tape recorders w/ all of the standard answers already recorded. (Think the bedroom scene in True Lies.) That way you won't have to worry about blanking on a hard ethics questions or a shaky delivery.

One downside - work on you lip-sync skills or this could backfire pretty big. :cool:

Originally posted by Woots32
For the love of God - why are you even attempting to answer questions yourself?!? :eek:

Do what I, and any other premed intelligent enough to get into med school, do - use one of those hand-held tape recorders w/ all of the standard answers already recorded. (Think the bedroom scene in True Lies.) That way you won't have to worry about blanking on a hard ethics questions or a shaky delivery.

One downside - work on you lip-sync skills or this could backfire pretty big. :cool:

OHMIGOD THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I am a shoe in!:clap:

This thread is "the toilet" of SDN :D

It's awesome, isn't it? :p

It's awesome, isn't it? :p

Hell yes!

It was about time, don't see any more threads about "hunter green suits" anymore do you?

FLUSH IT DOWN!!!
toliot2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Random Access
Will everyone who has posted on this thread please post their GPA/MCAT?
Originally posted by Sweet Tea
and whether or not you're a URM...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But don't we only ask if they are URM if they scored under 30 on the MCAT??

I mean, I've never heard anyone who scored a 43 get asked that question on here.....

Well, I just got my MCAT score and I guess I'm going to have to retake it. I got 11v, 15p, T, 15b. DAMN that verbal!!! Some of you might think that my 41T should be good enough, but it's not. You see I have a 1.03 GPA and a .5 BCPM GPA. I need a high MCAT score to counterbalance my GPA, especially considering the fact I only have 23 credits hours, and I have only taken two of the 8-10 courses most medical schools require. I was actually "dismissed" from my undergraduate institution. I also have no ECs, LORs, and my personal statement consisted of three words written in crayon, "LET ME IN!" Some people have told me that I need to bring up my grades and finish the required course work in order to have a better chance. I, however, choose to ignore this advice, because I am quite certain that a great MCAT score can make up for my grades. I have thought about this it certainly makes sense to me. I just have to figure out what I'll say in an interview if they ask me about my grades. I was planning on just responding, "Grades? What grades?" and then just blurting out the word "MCAT!!" placing a blanket over my head and crawling into a corner of the room until the interviewer leaves. What do you guys think?

Wow, i go away for a week, and there was TeinII bashing going on in this thread? What happened, did TeinII resort back to the evil ways of Tein the elder? Can someone tell me what happened?

anyways, i have to give some sincere advice now

Originally posted by Camden772
Well, I just got my MCAT score and I guess I'm going to have to retake it. I got 11v, 15p, T, 15b. DAMN that verbal!!! Some of you might think that my 41T should be good enough, but it's not. You see I have a 1.03 GPA and a .5 BCPM GPA. I need a high MCAT score to counterbalance my GPA, especially considering the fact I only have 23 credits hours, and I have only taken two of the 8-10 courses most medical scores require. I was actually "dismissed" from my undergraduate institution. I also have no ECs, LORs, and my personal statement consisted of three words written in crayon, "LET ME IN!" Some people have told me that I need to bring up my grades and finish the required course work in order to have a better chance. I, however, choose to ignore this advice, because I am quite certain that a great MCAT score can make up for my grades. I have thought about this it certainly makes sense to me. I just have to figure out what I'll say in an interview if they ask me about my grades. I was planning on just responding, "Grades? What grades?" and then just blurting out the word "MCAT!!" placing a blanket over my head and crawling into a corner of the room until the interviewer leaves. What do you guys think?

Your chances of getting into medical school are EXCELLENT. You should have NO problem getting into a top 5 school, more med school applicants should be more like you!!! As we've already figured out, their is no greater predictor of clinical competency than your ability to connect what an impressionist art history critic's ideas would be on the income tax in the verbal section! Or, your ability to answer science based questions in a "standardized" test in which EVERYONE obviously has already taken genetics, biochem, physiology, and 40 graduate level sciences course, and to write freely about some open ended bs like "freedom shapes the laws of society" or "society without freedom has laws" or "laws in society keep freedom". I'm a PGY-3 at Harvard, and I can only think back to that precious moment when a cancer patient was in her last days, and she asked me one of the her most important concerns:

"Doctor, do you feel heros are ordinary people behaving in unordinary situations? explain what the previous statement means, with an example supporting that point. explain a situation in which the previous statement does not hold true. discuss what determines what makes the previous statement true or not."

I thank God for the MCAT, if not I may have not ever been able to handle this sensitive situation.

There is no need to have shown any motivation through college, have any of your professors respect you as a person, or to lead anything resembling an interesting life outside of living, breathing, and defecating. Only high MCAT scores make good doctors :clap:

:rolleyes: multiplied by avogadro's number

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DW
Wow, i go away for a week, and there was TeinII bashing going on in this thread? What happened, did TeinII resort back to the evil ways of Tein the elder? Can someone tell me what happened?

Well basically I got into it with him on an acceptance thread. Some one posted one of those "I'm in" threads and then someone else I believe it was "Gumshoe" posted "blow it out your ass" instead of the usual congratulations followed by a "just kidding." TeinII of course quotes Gumshoe but removes the "just kidding" part and then adds "my thoughts exactly."

I thought this was inappropriate so I asked TeinII literally why he was being such a "penis." He then responed by commanding me to and I quote: "eat shiet and die." Then a few others got involved and it turned into a melee for a short while until he bowed out. Then Blitzkrieg posted a thread called the "TeinII fan club" which of course resulted in me nominating myself as president and hereby posting on this thread.

Do a search for it, I think it was on last thursday or friday.

Back to the sillyness....

Yeah, and TeinII kept getting mad when people used this smiley: :clap: , saying how he got annoyed at the face with the arms coming out of the head. It was funny stuff, worth the time to look up :D

Well basically I got into it with him on an acceptance thread. Some one posted one of those "I'm in" threads and then someone else I believe it was "Gumshoe" posted "blow it out your ass" instead of the usual congratulations followed by a "just kidding." TeinII of course quotes Gumshoe but removes the "just kidding" part and then adds "my thoughts exactly."

I thought this was inappropriate so I asked TeinII literally why he was being such a "penis." He then responed by commanding me to and I quote: "eat shiet and die." Then a few others got involved and it turned into a melee for a short while until he bowed out. Then Blitzkrieg posted a thread called the "TeinII fan club" which of course resulted in me nominating myself as president and hereby posting on this thread.

excellent precis, explosivo. very eloquently put. :love:
it's no wonder that with such perfectly honed story-telling skills/grammar you don't have youngjock hanging onto your right sleeve demanding some peanut or other about the inappropriate use of "sex and perverted language."

excellent precis, explosivo. very eloquently put. :love:
it's no wonder that with such perfectly honed story-telling skills/grammar you don't have youngjock hanging onto your right sleeve demanding some peanut or other about the inappropriate use of "sex and perverted language."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

well, you finally got what you wanted lovedoc. the thread got moved.

Originally posted by Camden772
I also have no ECs, LORs, and my personal statement consisted of three words written in crayon, "LET ME IN"

Dude, that was absolutely hilarious. :laugh:

Originally posted by seaworthc

this is a sad day for a dying breed ....... pre meds with a sense of humor

Originally posted by DW
this is a sad day for a dying breed ....... pre meds with a sense of humor

My advisor said that unless you talk in a monotone voice and hate humor you'll never get into medical school. Maybe, we should get some tips from doubledoc

Originally posted by seaworthc

:mad: +
eek5.gif
+
sad.gif

how could they move it! i feel so betrayed...
especially since SOMEONE put an EVENIN GOWN BARBIE sticker on my work computer! ARGH!!! wait until i get my hands on you...
+pissed+

This is bull-crap. This thread was mocking the entire med school admissions process and the silly threads that people were posting in the pre-allo forum, not the lounge. We all used this to blow off some steam and laugh a little but no, b/c it doesn't fancy one persons sense of humor it must be moved.

You know what I say, let's start it again in pre-allo.

Since this is your thread DW, would you mind doing the honors? Perhaps we should change the title since apparently that's what has lovedoc's panties in a bunch. Might I suggest something along the lines of "hunter green suits. " ;)

Might I suggest something along the lines of "hunter green suits. " ;)
This one gets my vote!:laugh:

anyone notice that a lot of threads got moved out of allo today? looks like the moderators are doing a bit of "house cleaning"... :(

mm...looks like we got ourselves a dilemma. i bet if DW were to start a "hunter green suit" thread or "AA II" thread they'd get moved to the lounge before you can say "eat shiet and die."
:idea: DW you'd prob have to be a little deceptive, and call the thread something along the lines of: "do i have a chance? i mean, really, really, a chance?" or "i got in! NOT."

what do the rest of you think?

anyone notice that a lot of threads got moved out of allo today? looks like the moderators are doing a bit of "house cleaning"... :(

what do the rest of you think?

Clearly the work of communists... :p

C'mon guys! Keep postin'!

I've chaged my mind - moving the AA thread to the Lounge (presumably to die a slow, neglected death) wasn't the work of communists! This has "terrorist" written all over it!

Do your American duty and keep making sarcastic, irrelevant comments! If we quit now, the terrorists win!

USA! USA! USA!...

;)

C'mon guys! Keep postin'!

I've chaged my mind - moving the AA thread to the Lounge (presumably to die a slow, neglected death) wasn't the work of communists! This has "terrorist" written all over it!

Do your American duty and keep making sarcastic, irrelevant comments! If we quit now, the terrorists win!

USA! USA! USA!...

;)

My god, I think you are right:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by immediatespring
alright fess up, which SDNer poster is osama bin laden?

Teins I, II, and III. Jury's still out on IV. ;)

I'm sorry, but I thought this thread was hilarious. It really pi$$es me off that it got banished to the Lounge. :mad: And now you've all abandoned it! DW and Explosivo, I'm lookin' at you....
+pissed+

I can see you pre-meds have great problems, but have you ever thought about the grave decisions you have to make once you enter med school?

Grays or Netters? Which stethoscope? What kind of lab coat? Whether to walk to med school or buy a car? Whether to say hi to classmates? to professors? lectures or PBL?

And so many pertinent and life-and-death questions that I forget sitting here around the globe...

But seriously, can anyone tell me whether IMGs get discriminated against in the US? Any first hand experience will be appreciated.

And oh, isn't the medical system of UK better than that of the US?

Originally posted by Long Hair and a Beard

Grays or Netters? Which stethoscope? What kind of lab coat? Whether to walk to med school or buy a car? Whether to say hi to classmates? to professors? lectures or PBL?

I know this is not a serious thread, but I prefer Netter's. The pictures are better...the second edition is quite good and a whole bunch cheaper than the third. I mean come on, how much do you think human anatomy has changed between the two editions.

I'm sorry, but I thought this thread was hilarious. It really pi$$es me off that it got banished to the Lounge. :mad: And now you've all abandoned it! DW and Explosivo, I'm lookin' at you....
+pissed+

I'm sorry Woots32 I should be ashamed of myself in letting a fellow Illini down. In reality though i have been perplexed by this medical immunization form that got sent with my UIC acceptance letter the other week. You see, I am having a severe dilemma.

Should I type out the immunization form or do it by hand? What will the adcom think now that I am accepted. I mean, if I do it by hand the adcom may think I am a lazy ass and rescind my acceptance letter. Furthermore I feel that sending it back in English just wouldn't do since doing so would indicate to the adcom my lack of cultural diversity and would also result in rescinding my acceptance. As you can see, this quandry has prevented my from posting on SDN for the past several days.

Currently I am leaning toward typing the immunization forms and using an old ethiopian dialect used by sex industry workers in 14th century Addis Ababa. The major hassle is of course that I cannot find a typewriter that uses the special font used in those days. As you can see this is really distressing!!:(

Do you guys have any advice? I'm just so confused....

Explosivo, I think the fact that you are asking this question shows just how inept you are. It is obvious that you must etch the form into stone and then carve the information in Gallic. I think you should probably just withdraw from the school and find a career that is more suited to someone of such low intelligence. If this is what medicine is coming to then I want out!!!!

I'm glad the AA thread is back.........
:laugh: :clap: :laugh: :clap: :laugh:

Bananasplit, I appreciate your advice.. But our professor is quite old.. Don't you think it better to use the older books. It's not like he would have heard of Netters..
And oh, I wrote 'fibular' instead of 'peroneal' all over my lower limb question. Do you think the professor will fail me for this?

I'm sorry Explosivo, but you failed to see the true reasoning behind the immunization form. It's merely another hurdle that medical school has in place to determine if you're truly worthy.

If you're not willing to open your own clinic and provide immunization shots to a third world country along with yourself, then you truly have no idea of what it takes to be a medical student.......

Originally posted by Cerberus
Explosivo, I think the fact that you are asking this question shows just how inept you are. It is obvious that you must etch the form into stone and then carve the information in Gallic. I think you should probably just withdraw from the school and find a career that is more suited to someone of such low intelligence. If this is what medicine is coming to then I want out!!!!

Fark You! Don't you dare piss all over my dreams!!!!

Gallic?!! WTF?! How ghey is that? Nobody speaks Gallic anymore, heck it's the only language out of the 30 I took in college that I got an A- in. Screw that, I'm giving them either 14th Century Ethiopian *****-ish or Finnish then and that's it. If they don't like it then I'm going to the University of Kabul School of Medicine b/c I want a "worldly experience" in medical school that you just can't get in the U.S.

Which brings up another question....does anybody here know what the MCAT/GPA cutoffs are for the University of Kabul? I hear they have a really high USMLE pass rate. Any thoughts?

Fark You! Don't you dare piss all over my dreams!!!!

Gallic?!! WTF?! How ghey is that? Nobody speaks Gallic anymore, heck it's the only language out of the 30 I took in college that I got an A- in. Screw that, I'm giving them either 14th Century Ethiopian *****-ish or Finnish then and that's it. If they don't like it then I'm going to the University of Kabul School of Medicine b/c I want a "worldly experience" in medical school that you just can't get in the U.S.

Which brings up another question....does anybody here know what the MCAT/GPA cutoffs are for the University of Kabul? I hear they have a really high USMLE pass rate. Any thoughts?

Just 30 languages? I taught 30 languages to deaf, blind, and dumb children from underepresented communities. MedSchools really want people who are willing to go above the bare minimum.

Originally posted by DAL
I'm sorry Explosivo, but you failed to see the true reasoning behind the immunization form. It's merely another hurdle that medical school has in place to determine if you're truly worthy.

If you're not willing to open your own clinic and provide immunization shots to a third world country along with yourself, then you truly have no idea of what it takes to be a medical student.......

Wait a minute now. I opened up a feritility clinic in Botswana where I was so altruistic that I made myself the only sperm donor. Doesn't this count?

What about my penile enlargement clinic in Mongolia also? That's technically a clinic as well.

Come to think of it though I have another idea on immunizations. I think med schools are implying that rather than getting a Hep B immunization it might be a better idea to just catch it on purpose to get a better understanding of other people's suffering. Yeah I'm positive now that that's the whole point of those immunization forms. I'd seroconvert fairly quickly and with some luck my immune system should fight it off and I'd have natural antibodies to it. I'd bet most med schools would see a lot of merit in that. Perhaps for extra credit I should try it with HIV and Herpes. I'd bet med schools would probably encourage this.

Thanks guys you really helped me see the true meaning of these immunization forms! How could I have been so stupid? :clap:

I'm heading off to the first bath house I see tomorrow morning.

Thanks!!!!

LOL!! Glad this great thread is back . Really comic! :clap: :clap: :clap: :laugh:

How do I carry the copies of my secondaries in to my interviews???

Brown leather briefcase--too stodgy?

Shoulder bag--too "gay- appearing"?

Spiral notebook --too scuzzy looking?

I have researched but cant find the age/regional background of my interviewer --so what now? Will I have to carry these papers stuffed discretely in my pants pocket? Or should I write relevant facts in microfont on my wrist???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by galen

I have researched but cant find the age/regional background of my interviewer --so what now? Will I have to carry these papers stuffed discretely in my pants pocket? Or should I write relevant facts in microfont on my wrist???

maybe should do powerpoint on your laptop. that way you won't have to memorize anything

Originally posted by galen

definetly put them in a trapper keeper. velcro always makes a nice impression. just be sure to get one with a picture you like b/c that way you can stare at the pretty picture if your interviewer is really boring.