Menu Icon Search
Close Search

A Physician’s Mission: Using Radio to Increase Health Literacy

Created September 27, 2017 by Anna Delamerced
Share

Republished with permission from here.

Dr. Pablo Rodriguez, an OB/GYN, doesn’t have a typical office.

Inside are rows of hanging plaques and accolades, a photo of him with former President Bill Clinton, and a set of microphones, connected to a radio broadcasting system. A sign that says “Latino Public Radio” hangs above on the back wall.

As I sit across from him, he shares his story of how it all began.

In 2005, Dr. Rodriguez was heavily injured when a drunk driver crashed into his car. The accident left him with broken bones and radial nerve palsy in his right hand. For 3 weeks, he remained in a coma. His survival was a miracle. After recovering, he still went to his office each day but was unable to see patients.

That’s when he devoted himself to the radio.

Under an existing radio station, “Exitos 88.1 FM,” Dr. Rodriguez and community partners transformed the programming from simple entertainment to one of medical information and awareness.

The result was “Latino Public Radio” (LPR), a nonprofit organization whose mission is to disseminate news and education to the Latino communities in Rhode Island. From health literacy to politics, business to daily life, LPR seeks to inform their listeners and invite intelligent dialogue and discussion about issues impacting minority communities.

In the clinic, providers engage patients in health decisions each day. Whether from news or family members, media or magazines, people listen, read and analyze information about their health. A 2008 Pew Hispanic Center Survey of Latino adults, for example, showed that 83% reported obtaining health information from not only television and the Internet, but also the radio.

If patients are unable to understand their diagnoses or conditions, their medications or management, it can negatively impact their health. If they don’t know what health services are available or accessible, they won’t be able to use those services. Dr. Rodriguez emphasizes how low health literacy can be a strong predictor of one’s health.

This is where his radio show can help fill the gaps. Since 2005, LPR has grown and evolved significantly. Every morning, from 9-10 am, Dr. Rodriguez goes live on air, presenting a health topic such as IUDs or contraception. On his show, Dr. Rodriguez invites medical students to come on air and discuss a topic too.

“I want them to present complex topics in a simple way,” says Dr. Rodriguez.

As part of the OG/GYN clerkship, students can produce content for the show. They practice transforming multifaceted, complicated health issues into digestible information for the lay public. In turn, listeners can receive health news and knowledge in a way they can understand. Dr. Rodriguez advises students to use images and concepts that are familiar to the public. He provides an example.

“Pretend a room is covered with wallpaper,” Dr. Rodriguez begins, as if telling a story. “Each month, an egg can land inside the room, or not. If no egg lands inside the room, the wallpaper peels off. If yes, the wallpaper stays.”

With that, Dr. Rodriguez uses the image of wallpaper to represent the endometrium, and explains ovulation in a way that is understandable for people with little to no medical background.

To further increase health education, novel approaches are needed.

This is where “ESCUCHE” comes in – “Evaluating the Spanish Radio Community’s Understanding of Clinical Research and Health Topics.” ESCUCHE, which is Spanish for “listen,” was recently born out of a collaboration between Dr. Rodriguez, Latino Public Radio, Women & Infants Hospital, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, and leaders from Rhode Island communities. Made possible by a national grant, ESCUCHE was a series of 10 radio shows broadcast live with call-in portions for questions. The community advisory board helped identify health topic areas such as heart disease, diabetes, asthma, breast cancer, and HIV. Fifty Spanish-speaking radio listeners were enrolled. The goal was to increase health and science literacy. Overall, after an analysis of the pre-test and post-test results, ESCUCHE demonstrated that a radio program format is indeed an effective way to increase health knowledge among listeners, particularly the Spanish-speaking radio audience.

Similar programs include La Clinica del Pueblo, a health education collaboration that involves a weekly radio show for Latino communities in North Carolina. The initiative addressed childhood and adult health, safety, and health care utilization. Results showed a statistically significant increase in medical knowledge among listeners.

Truth is important. Myths and misconceptions about medical information are often propagated in the media. Speaking about reproductive health, for example, Dr. Rodriguez says “it’s where fake news goes to live.”

He encourages people in the medical field to convey accurate information in an efficient and understandable way for the public, and for our own patients. In the future, he doesn’t see himself stopping. He hopes to continue reaching more communities across the nation, and to create high quality cultural and educational radio programs.

“I love my job,” he says.

About the Author
Anna Delamerced is a first-year medical student who loves hanging out with family, laughing with friends, eating, reading, writing, playing chess, and hip-hop dancing. She is very grateful to learn from teachers and fellow classmates as they continue on their journeys through medical school and beyond. In the future, she hopes to serve her patients and community wholeheartedly.

in-Training is the online magazine for medical students. It is the agora of the medical student community, the intellectual center for news, commentary, and the free expression of the medical student voice. All articles on in-Training are contributed by medical students around the world and are edited by its staff of volunteer medical students. Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Tumblr, or  to get involved.

// Share //

// Recent Articles //

• Medical, +1 MORE
  • Q&A with Dr. Ali Wong, Plastic Surgery Resident and Creator of Sketchy Medicine

• Posted October 17, 2017 by Gloria and Chigozie Onwuneme
  • Dr. Ali Wong is a plastic surgery resident in Nova Scotia, Canada and creator of the website Sketchy Medicine, in which she shares graphical representations of various medical concepts. Dr. Wong received her Bachelor of Science with Honours in Neuroscience (2009) and her MD (2013) at Dalhousie University. Following initial year in residency, she went...VIEW >
  • Four Ways to Practice Teaching as a Medical Student

• Posted October 16, 2017 by Jacob Adney
  • During the first years of medical school, we are taught a huge volume of material, covering basic sciences and organ systems. It is not until our clinical rotations that we truly begin to experience medicine in real time. Over our clinical years, we learn how to become comfortable with patients and help them become comfortable...VIEW >
  • Planning Now for MD Happiness

• Posted October 13, 2017 by The Short Coat Podcast
  • Can You Plan Now for Happiness Later? Once you’re on the path to doctorhood, it can be hard to step off. You’ll probably be happy…but what if you find out you’d rather just skate? Sure, you’re making money, you’re an important part of the medical profession, you’ve got this under control…but there’s something missing: happiness,...VIEW >
  • Quiz of the Week: Do you recognize this chest abnormality?

• Posted October 13, 2017 by Figure 1
  • A 30-year-old male presents to his new family physician for a routine physical. He reports being in good health, but has some cosmetic concerns about a chest abnormality he’s had since he was a child. On examination, he has a high-riding left scapula and his left pectoral muscle appears to be absent. Which of the...VIEW >
  • What Medical Schools Are Looking For: Understanding the 15 Core Competencies

• Posted October 12, 2017 by AAMC Staff
  • When you think about how medical schools will evaluate your application, it can seem like a mystery. What will an admissions committee look at first? How are experiences that are not related to health care viewed or evaluated? How do you explain a personal circumstance that may have led to poor grades during an academic...VIEW >
  • How Do I Know Which Medical School is Right for Me?

• Posted October 11, 2017 by Cassie Kosarek
  • Receiving multiple admissions offers to medical school can be both thrilling and daunting for prospective medical students. For many applicants, the simple goal is to get into medical school; a scenario in which one has to choose between multiple programs is simply not considered. But for a fraction of admitted medical students, juggling the pros...VIEW >
  • What are Gallstones?

• Posted October 10, 2017 by Open Osmosis
  • What are gallstones? Gallstones are solid stones that are produced in the gallbladder when there’s an imbalance in the composition of bile. The main types of gallstones are cholesterol stones, bilirubin stones, and brown stones. This video discusses the pathophysiology and known mechanisms of formation for each type of gallstone in the gallbladder, as well...VIEW >

// Forums //