2003 Sinai Countdown Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkhorse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been placed on Sinai's Waitlist and wondering who I might meet this fall! Anyone know how large their waitlist is?

Members don't see this ad.

probably not a Sinai student...;)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's gotta be some more folks out there that are waiting for some love from Sinai.

second that darkhorse

i am anxiously waiting to be taken off the waitlist. i will drop all other acceptances in a heartbeat once i get into sinai

good luck

I was placed on sinai's waitlist a month ago and still haven't heard =\

** crossing fingers**

Now that it's post-may 15th and I've got my letter of intent in...all I can do now is pray. Also, I'm just going to expect the worst, that way if I don't get in, at least my spirits won't be crushed :( And if I do get in, then lucky me :cool:

good luck to everyone

I would absolutely love to attend Mount Sinai this august. For some reason I think that I will. However I have gotten into a good school so for me its a win win situation. Especially as a reapplicant. I have been to 18 med school interviews, and Mount Sinai was the right one for me. I felt so comfortable there. NEW YORK BABY. I really am hoping that I get off the waitlist. It would be awsome to have some of you as my classmates. GOOD LUCK AND UPDATE ABOUT ANYTHING NEW YOU HEAR.

the number one reason I want to go to Mount Sinai is because their name is a palendrome (MSSM). gotta love that:eek:

fyi-
if accepted off the sinai waitlist you will be getting an EMAIL, as opposed to a call, letter, singing telegram...

I was told this by an admissions secretary.

an e-mail?....wow, as if I don't check e-mail enough already!!!!

I soooo want to go to Sinai....such an amazing place......

Also, I spoke to the admissions office today and they said the committee will meet for the first time post May 15th later on this week or around then......so hopefully some of us should hear good news shortly........hang in there :cool:

Ugh, I'm so bored and tired of the waiting game. I was checking last year's Sinai thread and people were saying that the bulk of waitlist movement was expected to occur after July 4th. What's up with that? I'm tempted to call the admissions office and ask annoying questions. Although I just called yesterday. :(

Let's hope that people are ditching Sinai because of the financial situation. Does it concern anyone that it dropped significantly in the rankings this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ew! I spoke with an admissions person today and dared to ask about waitlist movement. She said "there has been some movement" but that she expects it to go on until the day before registration. This is brutal!!

I feel the same way. Is the list tiered? I wish someone could just give me some basic idea. This is unethical.

Will someone else call and harrass the admissions staff besides me?

man, they're gonna make us wait it out. I'm pleased it's movin though.

anyone know if it's possible to find out where you are on the wait-list? i know they don't disclose specific ranking, but what about top 1/3, middle 1/3, etc?

also, why won't they disclose ranking? telling people their ranking doesn't require the school to commit to letting them in, right?

:confused:

this waiting thing sucks

Congrats to those you got into Sinai. I absolutely love it here!

Waitlist movement usually occurs early June, at least it did for me. I interviewed very late (third week of April) got placed on the waitlist a month after, and a week after that I got off the waitlist, so don't lose hope!

Good luck!

Just getting this back in the mix. Any news?

no news. :mad:

where are you guys will be if you don't get into sinai?

I will be at Boston University. But I have a feeling that i'm going to get some love from New York. I hope that I am right. But as a reapplicant I am just grateful that I got accepted this year.

Hey all-

A couple of weeks ago I called the admissions office at Sinai and asked how people who were accepted off of the waitlist would be notified and the secretary said by email. Then I called for a different reason about a week later and the impression I got was that they would use snailmail. Does anyone have any definitive idea about this? I don't visit my apartment too often to check the mail; maybe I should?

I called the admissions office today, they said there had been very little movement on the waitlist thus far, and that the dean of admissions was on vacation for the past week which could explain why none of us have heard anything. When I interviewed the told me that the last person accepted of the waitlist got in the morning of orientation......in any case if they accept "less than 2/3rds" of the waitlist it sounds as if everyone who really wants to go should get in...but who the hell knows?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Well that's good news. Thanks for posting! Yeah, the last time I called the sec said that the waitlist had had "some movement" but that they usually are accepting people up until registration. Hopefully they take into account that some schools start before others...

Ah, bumping this up. Come on Sinai!

for those of you in this thread waiting to get off sinai but have admission elsewhere; how long are you willing to wait? till you hear something from sinai? or will you withdraw from the waitlist after a certain time? i am in this situ. and would just like other people's feedback on this.

thanks

Yeah, this is tricky. I'm okay with moving at the last minute, but if I get off the waitlist at Emory (which starts July 23) it will be difficult. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that by July I'll have heard. If not, I don't know!

I am willing to wait until school starts. Luckily I am holding an acceptance at BU which doesn't start till Sep.
So I don't have to worry about that at least.

I'm willing to wait till school starts Come on Sinai

I don't want to make anybody mad, but.... I was considering dropping from the Sinai waitlist due to multiple warnings about the financial situation, got an acceptance the day before I did, did some research on the matter, and now I'm Sinai bound. Also a caveat, any advice on waitlist movement from last year's incoming class would be unreliable due to the AMCAS debachle. I would expect most movement to happen earlier in the year this time than it did last year (but I'm sure there is always some up to the very end). Any way, good luck to all of you and I hope to see you next year.

hi
when did you get off the waitlist, and was it through email or snailmail.

thanks

About mode of communication...

The first time I called the office said email, but after calling a couple more times since then I have discovered that the method is by snailmail. I think the woman I talked to originally was having a bad day or something.

Maybe later on in the summer they will switch to email, but for now I would keep checking regular mail.

I got it through snailmail, but I actually found out about my acceptance when I got an email with important dates for the upcoming year from the director of student affairs, I called to see if it was a mistake and they said they had just dropped my letter in the mail. I would actually bug them if you think you are high on the list, because all of the financial aid forms are online and you could have it done long before your letter gets to you (the awards packets are playing a large role in my decision so the sooner the better).

demografix

i'm in the situation you mentioned earlier. i just found i got into emory, so have 48 hrs to choose bw that school and tufts. however, i would drop both in a second for sinai.

but as you know, emory starts july 23rd, so by choosing them, i will be effectively decreasing my window of opportunity at sinai. pretty ridiculous, right?

anyway, this is quite the quandary. i much prefer tufts for location, and also for the extra time it affords me on the sinai wait-list (tufts starts aug 25th). but people in the profession keep telling me that emory has a stellar reputation.

this is one of the hardest decisions i've ever had to make. wish me luck.

btw, i spoke to the adcom at sinai yesterday, hoping i could extract more info from them after i described my situation, but they basically laughed and were like 'we can't tell you anything.'

catch you guys later. good luck to all.

a band apart-

so frustrating! congratulations on acceptance, but i don't know what to tell you. emory is a great school, and i'm sure you'll come to love the location. hopefully you will have heard from sinai before the end of july, right? why can't they just give us some indication!? maybe it's just the secretaries-do you think you could call and talk to someone on the adcom, or did you do that before? anyway, best of luck and let me know what you decide.

Bumparoo.

I don't get it. Surely Sinai has had withdrawals. Where are they?

i'm crossing my fingers for you guys.
Hope to see you at Sinai.

i just got an email from claire gailey at mssm...she directs the md-mph progam at sinai. she sent an email to me and 20 other people, saying that they were extending the deadline to apply to that program for us till july 15th. i never displayed any interest in md-mph, so i'm wondering why they sent me this, and what it exactly means. is it possible that there are only 20 people on the entire wait-list? any other of you wait-listers get this email? let me know if you guys have any thoughts.

hey guys
i got the email too, i did not indicate any interest in a joint degree. but i guess the info. could not hurt

good luck everyone. i am sure the waitlist will start moving rapidly very soon

I got the email too...it's interesting that so far 4 out of that 20 are sdners. I find it strange though that they send these mass emails without hiding the other applicants email addresses.

i got it too but i think they sent it out in batches...some people on my list had the same last name as me so maybe they are sending them out in alphabetized batches...just a thought

I got it also.....
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by XxRocKxX
i got it too but i think they sent it out in batches...some people on my list had the same last name as me so maybe they are sending them out in alphabetized batches...just a thought

i got the emaily also
yea i think they're sending out these emails by batches. my group were all last names beginning with c's, like chen, cho, chiang, cloonan, cross, etc. it's funny how the secondary application email that i got a long time ago also had all the email names on them.

Got it too- C last names. Oh well-nice thought!

a band apart,

what did you decide with emory?

hey demografix

well, i obsessed over the decision for ~48 hrs, asked for an extension, was denied, and finally decided that it was not worth it to move down to atlanta. i felt that 1) i could accomplish everything i wanted to at tufts, and 2) it gave me more time to wait out sinai. the fact that all my friends and family are in the northeast definitely contributed to the decision.

so now, i have nothing to do but wait...

what will you do if faced w/ a similar decision?

can't go wrong with tufts, I am waitlisted there too in addition to sinai, its an amazing program. Good luck!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

a band apart,

no clue. i've been stressing over it quite a bit today. so far i'm in at ny med, which obviously comes no where close to emory. however, i really want to stay near nyc, because like you i have social attachments here. mostly i'm concerned about emory's early start date and how that will narrow my window of time with sinai. i don't know! i haven't been given those dreadfully short 48 hours yet, so i might never have to make the decision, but i really feel like i need to come up with something so that i won't have to panic at the last minute if accepted. care to share your thoughts?