2003 Sinai Countdown Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There hasn't been much action on this thread for a while, and it is probably because the offices at Sinai have been out of commision for about a week. Alll of you on the waitlist should get ready for the office of admissions to start sending out all of the correspondence for the last week and a half coming Monday. I have been trying to talk to the Adm. and FA office for the last week and they keep telling me they don't have access to any files until their offices are done being revamped (Monday).

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info scriz. Let's get Sinai on that stupid waitlist movement thread, once and for all!

Is there anyone in off the waitlist at Mt. Sinai this year so far? This waiting is really getting on my nerves!!!!!:mad:
What one fool can do, another can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in off of the waitlist ~2 1/2 weeks ago. It should be moving fairly well. I just spoke to the admissions office (and FA office) today, and they are back up and running. They were also extremely cordial to me, so do not be afraid to drop them a line.

Hope to see all of you next year.

I got the email as well about the MD/MPH program. The funny thing is a recognized one of my friends on the email as well

demografix

i'd be glad to recount my thought process.

first, let me say that if i had not gotten into tufts a few weeks ago, i would have been choosing between temple and emory...given those options, i'm pretty certain i would have gone with emory.

anyway, the first thing i did when i found out i got into emory was to email everyone at my lab...i work in a clinical brain disorders lab in the NIH, so i figured the scientists i work with would have some valuable input. the results were as follows: 1 person (chief of the lab) did not distinguish bw emory and tufts, 3 people strongly favored emory (citing its neuroscience research/reputation), and the rest gave emory a half-hearted, slight edge. in addition, i spoke to people outside of the lab, like doctors i knew and the premed advisors at my undergrad: all of these people (~3) did not distinguish bw the schools, and advised me to choose the area (boston/atlanta) i would rather spend the next 4+ years in.

in the end, i went w/ advice that everyone seemed to agree upon...that med school is what you make of it, and that you can accomplish nearly anything you want at most any school. i decided that given my ties to the NE, the extra time on sinai's waitlist that going to tufts would afford me, and that if i worked hard enough at tufts, i could compensate for any disparity in resources that existed bw the two schools, staying at tufts was the best decision for me.

well, sorry if i went on for a little long there, but that is actually everything that went thru my mind. suffice to say that this was one of the most difficult decisions i've ever made; every 30 minutes i would change my mind.

hope sinai comes thru for us. demografix: let me know if you have any other questions.

peace

scriznik

how did you find out (and congrads!!!!!).???:clap:

I am assuming you want to know how I found out i got accepted. I recieved a letter via snailmail but I actually first recieved an email from the director of student affairs concerning the schedule for the upcoming year for first years.

I also just recieved my FA estimate (by calling the FA office), and I am very happy with my package. For some reason, all of the schools have estimated my PC very high (even though my parents make very little), but Sinai still gave me a good bit as far as grants go. I am convinced that most people's parents have accountants that are better at hiding money, because my PC is higher than anybody else's I have seen, but my parents make far less. (DAMN YOU rich people's tax attorney's!!!).

Anyway, as I posted earlier, you should hear more from the admissions office now that they are back up and running. Also, it seems to me that people coming off of the waitlist have a good deal of time to accept their place, because I got my letter late due to Memorial Day, and they said sending it in late isn't really an issue. So anybody who doesn't want a position they receive, please respond quickly for those who want a spot.

Good luck to all of you!!!

scriznik, you should put the specifics of this in the Waitlist Movement thread

has anybody called the admissions office recently???

this waiting is driving me crazy!!!!!

any news?

anything..........?:confused: :confused: :confused:

I feel you, Happy613!!!

I called the office today and Ms. Bailey told me that the wailist is moving very slowly and "hasn't picked up yet."

So I really don't know what to expect.

I hope it picks up soon.

pformed

pformed,

Thanks for the feedback. I think we are going to be in for a long haul with this one. I guess we are just going to wait it out....how long is everybody willing to wait?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sinai gaurantees housing to all students, so the way I see it, as long as you don't put a deposit on a place beforehand, you can wait until the last second.

I am willing to wait until the last second. Like was said by scriznik the housing is guaranteed. The school that I am holding on to right now doesn't start until Sept.

This waiting is taking forever. Come on sinai!!

yeah I think I will wait till the last second also. Does anybody know when the Sinai oreientation starts???

This is the email from The Director of Student Affairs

Here is a bit of information to help you with your summer and fall planning.

Move into Aron Hall August 9- 10, 2003
*Orientation starts August 11, 2003
Classes start August 12, 2003
Labor Day holiday September 1, 2003
Class of 2005 starts classes September 2, 2003
White Coat Ceremony September 22, 2003
Medical Student Research Day November 6, 2003

* Orientation activities will run throughout the first few weeks of school - we will send you a more detailed orientation schedule in July - the planning group is working on social events, visits to area museums, a Yankee or Met game, faculty dinners, small group Q and A sessions about becoming a medical student/doctor, and area tours (walking tour of East Harlem). You will get an orientation advisor prior to August 11th.

I called Mount Sinai today and asked them about the waitlist. They said that there has not been any movements on the waitlist yet, but expect it to move soon. But some SDNers stated that they were accepted off the waitlist already.......so I am just confused.

they must be referring to recent movement, because I definitely came off of the list a few weeks ago.

scriznik,

Thanks so much for info, it is greatly appreciated. As for the admissions people claiming that the waitlist hasn't moved...who knows, it seems like they are increadibly disorganized. I called also yeasterday and she said the same thing, but then corrected herself and said it hasn't moved with regards to you...which was evident since I am still on it!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I just got pulled off of sinai's waitlist (by mail, postmarked 6/12). Also, I got an email from student affairs that was addressed to new acceptances, and went out to ~15 other emails...so I'm guessing that the waitlist has picked up a bit.

Congrats jlwst118!! :clap: :clap:

I just got the email as well, but I haven't yet received anything in the mail (MA resident). Man am I looking forward to Monday :)

Now...Sinai or Einstein?!?!?

hey there Jumbo fool,

congrats! i just got an acceptance at Einstein (well what looks to be an acceptance anyway) and now i have the same problem as you. Sinai or Einstein? i'm leaning towards Sinai. Just got a better vibe there and felt more comfortable...

but if you look at the einstein waitlist movement thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71857&highlight=einstein) , there's a link to a previous Einstein vs. Sinai thread which i found helpful.

good luck and tell us which you choose!

greenwitch :p

Thanks greenwitch, and congrats to you too! :clap: Looks like we might be future classmates!

Right now, I am leaning towards Sinai as well. Both schools are fantastic, and in truth, I believe they are similar in more ways than they are different.

But I definitely felt that "happy vibe" at Sinai...almost frighteningly so, actually. Einstein had it too, but overall, the issues of location and financial aid are two big advantages for Sinai that are very hard to ignore.

Thanks for that link, btw. Time for me to sit down, chew the cud and make a decision. Heads or tails?

:D

congratulations.

clap: :clap:

hopefully the rest of us still waiting will hear good news soon:

so, what's the latest news from Sinai since the forum crashed, anyone?

has anyone here recieved their finanicial aid package from sinai? I'm just curious about what kind of need based aid they typically give...any info would be helpful.

Well, I got my financial aid "awards" from Sinai and Einstein last week, while I was trying to decide between the two schools.

Sinai must have known that I was leaning in their direction, because they screwed me and basically recommended that I apply as an independent. According to their calculations, the parental contribution would have been too high for me to qualify for any Sinai loans. Now, we're not poor, but we're definitely not loaded...I was very surprised by their decision. They're giving me the standard federal package and that's it. Grrr. Einstein at least gave some institutional grants and loans.

But, like I said, I was favoring Sinai the whole way, and in the end, the difference in cost between two private schools is minimal.

So I'm planning on sending in my acceptance reply card tomorrow!
wooooooot!!!!!!

For the people who got off the waitlist, How long did they give you to decide in the letter?

Thank you very much. I am going out of the country soon so I hope that I hear something from Mount Sinai before I leave.

Congrats to all those accepted off the waitlist. :clap: :clap:

Let's keep it the momentum going!

Hey Guys

Does MSSM requires you to take the BLS course as some of the other schools do.

Pelicanman, they gave me 2 weeks from the date of the letter.

Pformed, what's a BLS course?

It's American Heart Association's Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider Course and is offered in most hospitals. I guess you learn basic CPR and other first aid stuff.

I am still waitlisted at MSSM, for those that got accepted off the WL, did you send a letter of intend? I sent one two weeks ago with my official transcript, should I send another one just to let them know how desperate I am??

Hey PatriciaNg

I have sent a letter of intent quite a few times by e-mail and mail. However, I never got any kind of response as to whether or not they recieved it on not. I think since the waitlist is ranked, it doesn't really matter or matters very little. By now the whole waitlist business is probably strictly in administration hand. But, ofcourse, that's just what I think.

Hey Everyone

Is it possible to find out exactly how many people have been pulled off the waitlist? I am pretty sure that not many people have posted it on SDN for MSSM.

patriciang

i agree w/ pformed...since my interview, i have been consistently contacting mssm through both email and snail mail, but not once have they indicated that they received any of that information. however, on one occasion i spoke to an adcom secretary, and she confirmed that they had received a letter of rec from my current boss. i can only hope that they also received my other attempts to reach them.

and yes, according to what adcom secretarys have told me, the wait-list is ranked. as far as sending them an LOR: if you are up to it, call them up and ask them that question yourself...they were always helpful, if reticent, when i called.

good luck.

a band apart

ps: pformed, i plan on calling them soon and seeing if i can get any more info out of them re: wait-list movement.

have anyone of you guys called up Dean Barnett and let him know about your interest MSSM as opposed to writing. Do you guys think it's a good idea?

no, i haven't called him up.

his number is accessible off of the mssm web page...however, so is his email address. i'd feel a little less weird about writing him, just because that doesn't obligate him to talk to me. but i don't know...calling him up is definitely an interesting idea...i'm sure you've heard how other deans (e.g. dean @ columbia) are open to that.

other opinions?

Anymore people off the waitlist?

Originally posted by pformed
Anymore people off the waitlist?

no..
i've pretty much given up on sinai

I wish Mt. Sinai would disclose ranks of people on the waitlist. At least that way, I wouldn't cling to false hopes.

I just got in today. The envelope was postmarked yesterday 7/2 so other people should be getting theirs soon. I'm a little surprised cuz I thought I might be at the bottom of the list since I interviewed in November but wasn't put on the waitlist until late April. Good luck to everyone!!

Did you receive that email as well that everyone was talking about? If so, before or after the snailmail?

has anybody else gotten in off the waitlist recently????

sinai hates me :(

yeah, sinai hates me too. one love, are you going to accept?

Thanks demografix!

No I didn't get the email, only snail mail. Yeah, I'm going to take spot. Sinai is twenty times better than the other school I was going to go to (in my opinion). :)

Originally posted by one love
Sinai is twenty times better than the other school I was going to go to (in my opinion). :)

which school is that?