2023-2024 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the question where they ask you to list your medically-related experiences, should I be writing new descriptions for the activities I already submitted in AMCAS? I'm assuming they don't want me to submit the same information twice, but I'm also unsure if they're just looking for a subset of the AMCAS activities/descriptions for organization purposes.
I think you ultimately need to write a new, much shorter description because of the 175-character limit for each one. I wrote about two very short sentences each what I did and its impact.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
For the question where they ask you to list your medically-related experiences, should I be writing new descriptions for the activities I already submitted in AMCAS? I'm assuming they don't want me to submit the same information twice, but I'm also unsure if they're just looking for a subset of the AMCAS activities/descriptions for organization purposes.
I submitted any clinical work/clinical volunteering and wrote a brief description of what I did.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS secondary received just now! Transmitted 7/14.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS secondary received today and submitted today. Glad it was a quick turn around after that first email last Friday.

Still awaiting secondary, but I transmitted my primary 7/27. Seems like I'll be getting it around mid August, which is fair.

OOS secondary received today

• Love
Anyone OOS not receive a secondary yet? Verified and received the confirmation email 7/24…

If i had different shadowing experiences, should i list them out separately under the secondary question: "Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. You may list up to 15 entries, 175 characters to describe EACH?"

If i had different shadowing experiences, should i list them out separately under the secondary question: "Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. You may list up to 15 entries, 175 characters to describe EACH?"
I do not think there is a wrong way it is more how you think makes sense. I would personally do the same format as you did in your AMCAS. If you have so many left over space you can definitely separate the shadowing to expand more on them or combine if not enough with the 15 activity limit.

for anyone submitting, submit the primary portion asap before your secondary because they only verify your LOR AFTER submission of secondary (took over a week for my secondary to be marked "completed" after I submitted it).

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
for anyone submitting, submit the primary portion asap before your secondary because they only verify your LOR AFTER submission of secondary (took over a week for my secondary to be marked "completed" after I submitted it).
Wish I knew this weeks ago LOL. Currently waiting for them to look at my LORs o_O

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats Y'all! Hope to join y'all soon!

Congratulations, y’all! Do they give out II in more or less order received? Or is it high stats and IS applicants first?

I’m in the same boat. Hope we both get verified soon!
My application was just marked complete today and I submitted like 2 weeks ago so hang in there. I think they have a lot to go through at the moment.

OOS II received, submitted 7/10 marked complete 7/12

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
geez save some for me
lmao right. As soon as I saw the notification that toastedbutter posted in this thread I knew what it was going to say. Goated

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Isn't that still traditional? I graduated in May 2022 and I thought 1-2 gap years meant you are still a traditional applicant.

Isn't that still traditional? I graduated in May 2022 and I thought 1-2 gap years meant you are still a traditional applicant.

In my opinion I thought traditional was applying after the 3rd year of undergrad. But I think it is slowly shifting to 1-2 gap years.

Yeah ig the definition is nebulous now. For me trad means you go to med school straight thru from undergrad but ig things are changing!

IS II received 9:48am today! Complete on 7/28. LM 72.

I’m a 4th year at CCOM. Happy to answer any questions about the application process, life at CCOM etc. Goodluck to everyone applying this cycle

Last edited:
I’m a 4th year at CCOM. Happy to answer any questions about the application process, life at CCOM etc. Goodluck to everyone applying this cycle
What's the feel of the surrounding community (urban, suburban, etc.)? Also, is the housing close to the school and do they have adequate public transportation?

What's the feel of the surrounding community (urban, suburban, etc.)? Also, is the housing close to the school and do they have adequate public transportation?

Suburban, college town. Most students live really close by. First year it took me like 5min to walk. Now I live like a 15min walk / 5min bike ride away. Lot of grad students that choose to live further away stay in Aspire which is an apartment complex that has a university bus that goes there often. Most people live close enough for a bus. If you live in Iowa City/Coralville then there are buses. Some people with kids and a family live further away in houses and the buses aren’t the best for that.

Reactions: 3 users