2023-2024 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m a 4th year at CCOM. Happy to answer any questions about the application process, life at CCOM etc. Goodluck to everyone applying this cycle
Hello, thank you for offering to answer questions! Can you speak to the campus parking situation? Availability, parking passes, affordability, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, thank you for offering to answer questions! Can you speak to the campus parking situation? Availability, parking passes, affordability, etc?

Parking sucks lol! They do offer parking passes for people that live like 30min away I think? Most people either take a bus, bike, or walk. Housing is dirt cheap nearby so there is no reason to live far away unless you have kids and want a house. I only drive if the weather is bad and I don’t want to get drenched biking. It costs $20 to park a day without a pass. There is a parking pass you can request for tougher rotations like surgery when you’re coming in really early (forgot how much it costs but better than paying the daily rate). There’s also a pass you can get for like $20 to park for free after 5pm-8am if you’re studying late or something

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II just received!!! Complete 7/29

Reactions: 3 users
For folks that have an II, what was the earliest option you were provided with and what has been the latest?

Members don't see this ad :)
Choosing between interviewing in person and virtually: does anyone have insight?
Do virtual if possible. My only reason: I get to wear half a suit.

All jokes aside, I don't have the luxury of money or time away from my three jobs to travel. So, I hope to god my virtual interviews go well. Best of luck to everyone this cycle. Godspeed.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Choosing between interviewing in person and virtually: does anyone have insight?
I chose in person because I never been to Iowa and it is close to me like about 3-4 hours drive. It is expensive but I will use it as a mini vacation to see the city as I did not get a break this summer.

I would choose virtual if the cost is issue or you are in a farther state.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS II this morning, complete on 7/12!

Any other MSTP applicants just now get an MSTP application complete email? My application was complete back in mid July and I had an application complete email then too but now I got another one from the MSTP

update: just got an II so ig getting that email is a good sign!

Last edited:
Any other MSTP applicants just now get an MSTP application complete email? My application was complete back in mid July and I had an application complete email then too but now I got another one from the MSTP

update: just got an II so ig getting that email is a good sign!
Congrats! How long in between those two emails? I also got another MTSP complete email, so now I'm nervous haha

is anyone choosing in-person interview? debating whether to go virtual or in-person,,,

is anyone choosing in-person interview? debating whether to go virtual or in-person,,,
Had to go virtual myself tbh. I got a great impression from some interactions with them, so I would encoursge you to go in person if you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Had to go virtual myself tbh. I got a great impression from some interactions with them, so I would encoursge you to go in person if yo

Really want to go in-person but there is no direct flight and have to skip work...

thanks for your answer!

Hey guys I have a serious question. If you go to Carver and become a surgeon, does that make you a Carver carver?

• Haha
  • Wow
Hey guys I have a serious question. If you go to Carver and become a surgeon, does that make you a Carver carver?
I believe the consensus is that you have to do your surgical residency at Carver to gain the full CC title.

• Haha
I chose in-person because it was like a month earlier, and I feel like I interview better in-person compared to virtual. with that being said it was easy for me to get off work, and I can just drive out to Iowa since I'm already close by.

I still havent received a secondary from CCOM, I added them to my school list about 2 weeks ago. Is this normal?

I still havent received a secondary from CCOM, I added them to my school list about 2 weeks ago. Is this normal?
Anecdotally, it seems that at some/many schools, the later you submit your primary, the longer it takes for them to get your secondary to you. It's a good idea to pre-write so you can minimize your turnaround time once you officially do receive the secondary. This all assumes that you meet the minimum screening threshold, which is 3.0 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA + minimum 500 MCAT w/ all subcategories being 123 or greater.

Source

Anecdotally, it seems that at some/many schools, the later you submit your primary, the longer it takes for them to get your secondary to you. It's a good idea to pre-write so you can minimize your turnaround time once you officially do receive the secondary. This all assumes that you meet the minimum screening threshold, which is 3.0 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA + minimum 500 MCAT w/ all subcategories being 123 or greater.

Source
Oh, and also! Very important: For Iowa, as soon as you receive your secondary application, go into the portal and submit the "primary" portion of your secondary - Iowa does things a little differently by manually reviewing this "primary" portion, and you don't want to waste time.

Then when you're ready, submit the "secondary" part of the secondary. If this sounds odd, trust that it'll all make sense when you enter the portal. If you wait to submit the "primary" portion until after your secondary is complete, you'll face an additional delay.

OOS II just a bit ago! Completed July 26th.

Well, I think the 3rd times gonna be a charm. To all my fellow reapplicants, dust yourselves off and get going again. You got this.

Life Motivation GIF by Maraboli Media
Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Late reply to this! This is my 4th cycle. I’m OOS and have interviewed at CCOM all three of my previous cycles. Will this year be my year??

Reactions: 5 users
I still haven't received an II, and I'm OOS with LM 68. We're still early right now, but do I have a chance with that LM score? This is my dream school 🥹.

I still haven't received an II, and I'm OOS with LM 68. We're still early right now, but do I have a chance with that LM score? This is my dream school 🥹.
Mine is like a high 69 and I got an OOS II a few weeks ago, u got this, keep your head up king/queen

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
You never know there is always a chance especially it is too early I would not worry until January. My LM is slightly lower than yours and I still got an interview if that helps. But this is also my second application cycle.

• Care
You never know there is always a chance especially it is too early I would not worry until January. My LM is slightly lower than yours and I still got an interview if that helps. But this is also my second application cycle.
Thank you for this! I have just been seeing higher scores get an II so this helps to boost my morale!

Has anyone interviewed yet? If so, what was it like / any tips?