2023-2024 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In every single cycle at Carver since 2017, there has been an acceptance for someone with 75 LM or lower reported on SDN on the first day. In many of these years, the lowest LM acceptance on the first day was 72-73.

The lowest LM reported on SDN during the round of acceptances today was 77.

(This could be due to various statistical errors, but I find it quite interesting)

Hopefully tomorrow?

I have an LM 73 :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone interviewing on Oct 30th from Out of state and wants to take an uber from ORD lol. the flights into cedar rapids are very high.

Members don't see this ad :)
a message from a current student at carver!!!

hi, don't mind me lurking. just wanted to say hi. also wanted to give a voice of reason/support. i interviewed at carver on one of the last three interview dates in September, so super early. I did not find out I was accepted until march. yes, you heard that right. I waited months... but I was never waitlisted, I was outright accepted (IS student) in march. Yes I was final pooled but a lot of my class, and I mean a lot, were either accepted right off the final pool or even off the waitlist. I want to say my class had upwards of 25-26 IS waitlist spots open up and probably a lot of OOS (can't tell you the approx number tho). so basically what I'm saying is have hope. it is literally not over until its over.

also wanted to give a little info on Carver admissions committee. they (99.5% sure) only release, moving forward from today, on tuesdays because I think that's when admissions committee meets. I am probably wrong but I know for a fact that there is one day a week that they send their decisions. they also don't waitlist or reject until the last day in January where u find out if you were either rejected or final pooled. so the only thing u will hear of from ccom until then is an acceptance. so hype up about that email.

its literally not over until its over.

pm me if u have any q's!!!!

love my medical school. 10/10 would choose them over and over and over again.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
Does anyone have insight on how much weight interviews have on acceptances? Coming from someone with average/below average MCAT/GPA, i’m really hoping that my interview can carry me.

hi, don't mind me lurking. just wanted to say hi. also wanted to give a voice of reason/support. i interviewed at carver on one of the last three interview dates in September, so super early. I did not find out I was accepted until march. yes, you heard that right. I waited months... but I was never waitlisted, I was outright accepted (IS student) in march. Yes I was final pooled but a lot of my class, and I mean a lot, were either accepted right off the final pool or even off the waitlist. I want to say my class had upwards of 25-26 IS waitlist spots open up and probably a lot of OOS (can't tell you the approx number tho). so basically what I'm saying is have hope. it is literally not over until its over.

also wanted to give a little info on Carver admissions committee. they (99.5% sure) only release, moving forward from today, on tuesdays because I think that's when admissions committee meets. I am probably wrong but I know for a fact that there is one day a week that they send their decisions. they also don't waitlist or reject until the last day in January where u find out if you were either rejected or final pooled. so the only thing u will hear of from ccom until then is an acceptance. so hype up about that email.

4th year at CCOM. I’ve been a lurker for several years and I’ve occasionally posted on these threads. Just a couple things I wanted to add. They do not send rejections in January if you got an interview. The rejections at the end of January are pre-II rejections (unless they changed that last year since I was pretty busy and didn’t pay as much attention last year). Anyone that interviewed and has not been accepted gets added to the final pool. About half the class gets accepted off the final pool in March. March is when you find out if you’ve been accepted / waitlisted / rejected.

The waiting game is one of the worst things about the application cycle. I was waitlisted at a decent spot my first cycle and most years I would’ve gotten in but my year was the year that had an unexpectedly low amount of movement. Second cycle I got in through the final pool in March.

Currently about to start the interview trail all over again for residency applications so I feel your pain waiting for interviews and spending several months waiting to figure out if I’m gonna match / where I’m going.

Also wanted to say the past 4 years at CCOM have been a blast and I’m very happy with my training and all the memories I’ve formed here. The people are amazing. I felt support throughout and I’m glad I went to CCOM. Happy to answer any questions on here or feel free to message me. Goodluck!

Reactions: 6 users
They are accepting today! IS A LM72 interviewed mid Sept

Last edited:
  • Love
Is anyone else who got the A and accepted getting lots of emails from them that sound like we are committed to coming? Lots of pre-enrollment stuff and just got info on how to sign up for courses...I thought accepting means we just hold the offer until April. Would love to go here of course but not ready to commit anywhere until the cycle wraps up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else who got the A and accepted getting lots of emails from them that sound like we are committed to coming? Lots of pre-enrollment stuff and just got info on how to sign up for courses...I thought accepting means we just hold the offer until April. Would love to go here of course but not ready to commit anywhere until the cycle wraps up.
They state its non-binding when we accepted. I think they are just really excited on answering our questions and getting us informed on Carver

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
A a little less than an hour ago. Interviewed early October.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if they send acceptance emails all at the same time on Tuesdays? That's what it seems like. Trying to figure out if I should give up hope until next Tuesday.

Anyone know if they send acceptance emails all at the same time on Tuesdays? That's what it seems like. Trying to figure out if I should give up hope until next Tuesday.
They are usually pretty close together. I think we will have to wait until next Tuesday.

Could you speak about the grading system at Carver? From what I'm reading, core courses in pre-clinicals are H/NH/P/F. This internal grading system is my biggest reservation about attending Carver (other than distance).

Is it a significant source of stress, and do you feel that you would have benefitted from a true P/F system instead?

4th year at CCOM. I’ve been a lurker for several years and I’ve occasionally posted on these threads. Just a couple things I wanted to add. They do not send rejections in January if you got an interview. The rejections at the end of January are pre-II rejections (unless they changed that last year since I was pretty busy and didn’t pay as much attention last year). Anyone that interviewed and has not been accepted gets added to the final pool. About half the class gets accepted off the final pool in March. March is when you find out if you’ve been accepted / waitlisted / rejected.

The waiting game is one of the worst things about the application cycle. I was waitlisted at a decent spot my first cycle and most years I would’ve gotten in but my year was the year that had an unexpectedly low amount of movement. Second cycle I got in through the final pool in March.

Currently about to start the interview trail all over again for residency applications so I feel your pain waiting for interviews and spending several months waiting to figure out if I’m gonna match / where I’m going.

Also wanted to say the past 4 years at CCOM have been a blast and I’m very happy with my training and all the memories I’ve formed here. The people are amazing. I felt support throughout and I’m glad I went to CCOM. Happy to answer any questions on here or feel free to message me. Goodluck!
If you would also be able to chime in on my question above ^^^, I would really appreciate it :)

Reactions: 1 user
II, OOS. This is my fourth time applying and my fourth interviewing at Carver lol

For those who have interviewed in person or virtual, when did the day end? Just trying to pick a date and figure out work. Thanks!

Could you speak about the grading system at Carver? From what I'm reading, core courses in pre-clinicals are H/NH/P/F. This internal grading system is my biggest reservation about attending Carver (other than distance).

Is it a significant source of stress, and do you feel that you would have benefitted from a true P/F system instead?

Sure. I never really cared or stressed much about this because residency program directors don’t care about preclinical grades. I don’t know where the exact article is but program directors consistently rank preclinical grades as one of the lowest things that plays a role in candidate selection. Step 1 score used to be the highest and that will likely change to step 2 with the new transition. Clinical grades are important. Those are probably some of the top factors. Other than that depending on what field you’re going into research, volunteering etc play a role.

There are talks about changing preclinicals to P/F but idk if/when it would happen.

I stressed about it for the first exam because everyone in med school is a high achiever. But when I found out how unimportant it is for residency that’s when I stopped caring about it. What really helped was the fact that everybody in med school is going to be a doctor. You are comparing yourself to some of the smartest and hardest working people so if you constantly compare yourself, you will always feel like your achievements aren’t enough. There will always be someone that scores better or does more research or volunteers more. It isn’t realistic to be able to do everything. That is going to be the same at every med school and the sooner the comparison mentality ends and becomes a collaborative mentality, the better it is going to be for your mental health. CCOM has a very friendly and collaborative environment which I love.

Some more evidence to reassure you that preclinical grades mean nothing: I literally did not honor a single class in preclinicals. I did honor / near honor a decent number of clinical rotations. Step 2 score matters so much more. I applied to a relatively competitive field and none of my interviewers mentioned preclinical grades. I did really well on step 2 and three out of the five people at a recent interview kept talking about my step 2 score. They pretty much said I could match anywhere but please choose us. Then proceeded to not interview me and instead tried to convince me to pick their program. So yeah I wouldn’t stress about preclinicals as long as you pass (don’t fail though because that would be a red flag on applications).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone want to ride together from Chicago to Iowa on Sunday if you are interviewing on Monday 10/30 lol

• Love
OOS II yesterday evening, complete 8/30, LM 75

Those who have already completed the interview: how can we practice for the case based learning portion? Is it just ethical question?

Those who have already completed the interview: how can we practice for the case based learning portion? Is it just ethical question?
Nah it's a medical thing but you don't need to prepare in any way. Just have fun with it and don't be overbearing as a group member

Reactions: 4 users

Nothing to prepare unless you already finished 4 years of medical school. It’s an actual medical case but it is not testing your medical knowledge. You work through a case together and all they want to know is are you a team player? Can you work well in a group. If you are trying to be the star of the show, if you cut people off, if you are rude to other people etc then that’s pretty much the only way you can do poorly on it. As long as you participate in the activity and come off as a collaborative individual that can work well in a group then you will do great on it. It’s very lowkey and led by 4th year med students. Most people say it’s their favorite part of the day

Those who already interviewed: do they ask a lot of ethical/current news questions during the 25 min interview or is it just more about yourself?

Those who already interviewed: do they ask a lot of ethical/current news questions during the 25 min interview or is it just more about yourself?
No not really. One or two ethical questions in the structured portion. Then they’re mostly trying to learn more about you and your hobbies, EC’s, etc

Guys Iowa responds really well with rizzing. Just put some rizz in your answers and they give you the insta A. Have fun guys, it's a fun interview day.

OOS A this afternoon!
Edit: Interviewed in late September.

Last edited:
  • Love
Congratulations, everyone! When did you all interview?

Damn they didn't lie on their website when they said they don't make decisions in order of interview date. Congrats to people that got an A today

And then there is me. Hoping that there is a II with my name on it. :rofl:

• Care
Is anyone interviewing on Oct 30th from Out of state and wants to take an uber from ORD lol. the flights into cedar rapids are very high.
I would check for buses, uber seems like a SUPER pricey option. Greyhound buses are cheap and go btwn Chicago and Iowa City very regularly.

a little late, but got IS A on 10/16!! submitted secondary on 8/10, and interviewed on 9/15.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
OOS (undergrad in Iowa) II received today! Interviews are booking into December!