2023-2024 Northeast Ohio (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Talk from who, though? Is this an official, verified insider source or some random hearsay from blogs?

Also, if you check AAMC updated WL protocols for 2025, it looks like NEOMED has ~800 candidates on AL, with about 280 slots expected for movement. But even then, there is an astronomically minute chance that all 800 candidates will eventually get an offer. It’s just not logically possible, unless we assume that ALL candidates who interviewed for NEOMED have AT LEAST one other acceptance to ANOTHER US MD school that they are willing to attend OVER NEOMED, which, for all practical purposes, is impossible.

I don’t want to sound like a killjoy, but we shouldn’t be disseminating rumors that give false hope to applicants, especially when considering a process as stressful as the AMCAS cycle.
Then why would they send the Pre-II AL to some people telling them that they will hold their application until May/June for interviews? This is unprecedented. Never happened before.

Members don't see this ad.

"While we have notified the majority of our candidate pool that we will not have a seat for them in our entering M.D. class later this July, we would like to delay any final decision on your application through June. Should our estimate of the available seats prove to be inaccurate we would reach out to any interested candidates in May and June as necessary to conduct additional regular decision interviews."
Few applicants got this email on March 22nd.

Then why would they send the Pre-II AL to some people telling them that they will hold their application until May/June for interviews? This is unprecedented. Never happened before.

theyre either super paranoid or did not waitlist as many applicants as they normally do. if we saw more waitlist movement it would be making sense for them to worry. i cant think of any other justification for them to waitlist hundreds of people only to continue holding onto applications into june.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
theyre either super paranoid or did not waitlist as many applicants as they normally do. if we saw more waitlist movement it would be making sense for them to worry. i cant think of any other justification for them to waitlist hundreds of people only to continue holding onto applications into june.
I’m pretty sure the waitlist numbers jumped from 600 to 800 this year compared to last year

Happy Monday Friends! Just got off the phone with AAMC. The 2025 waitlist protocols are for the upcoming cycle. They told me since they begin in May they updated the list. The one for the current cycle is taken down and updated one is up. So the 800 people on AL that you see on there with 280 accepted is for upcoming cycle. Hope this helps! Current one is 600 with 200 accepted. Let's see what happens. May we all get accepted ! AMEN!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Happy Monday Friends! Just got off the phone with AAMC. The 2025 waitlist protocols are for the upcoming cycle. They told me since they begin in May they updated the list. The one for the current cycle is taken down and updated one is up. So the 800 people on AL that you see on there with 280 accepted is for upcoming cycle. Hope this helps! Current one is 600 with 200 accepted. Let's see what happens. May we all get accepted ! AMEN!!!!
U dropped this 👑

I'm wondering when they will start pulling more people off the WL, considering last yr it looks as if they were taking more ppl off earlier...

I'm wondering when they will start pulling more people off the WL, considering last yr it looks as if they were taking more ppl off earlier...
I’m in the same boat - I was hoping things would get moving today. I got a call from an Ohio number today and was a little let down when it was a spam call 😅

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah if they want to start calling the pre-ii AL people in May they should begin with us AL people soon .

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully before May 1

I would think we’re gonna hear the first wave of movement between April 15-May 1

Facebook thinks I’m a bot and banned my account… I’m assuming it’s mostly roommate searches but if there is anything important shared on the group page could someone DM it to me please? I’ll love you forever

Could someone explain how its possible for NEOMED to have a 99.5% post II acceptance rate for in state? Does that mean almost all of us on the AL (IS) will be accepted eventually?

Could someone explain how its possible for NEOMED to have a 99.5% post II acceptance rate for in state? Does that mean almost all of us on the AL (IS) will be accepted eventually?
There’s no way this is true, i personally have several friends with above average stats not make it off the AL last year as IS applicants

well I’m going off the data for NEOMED on admit.org, sorry shoulda clarified.

For what its worth, the guy/girl who created admit.org is active on SDN and Reddit. They have a thread where they answer questions related to the site. I just popped in and asked about how confident they are in the II and A statistics, since that discourse has been setting this thread on fire for like 2 months now (not shaming anybody, i've been as active as anybody in the discourse lol).

For what its worth, the guy/girl who created admit.org is active on SDN and Reddit. They have a thread where they answer questions related to the site. I just popped in and asked about how confident they are in the II and A statistics, since that discourse has been setting this thread on fire for like 2 months now (not shaming anybody, i've been as active as anybody in the discourse lol).
What did they say ? Also are we still believing that AL will be exhausted?

They remained confident in the 99% number or whatever it was that was provided. I will say it doesn't seem totally unreasonable they'd have approx 350 or so As to give out, given they likely have a high turnover on those acceptances. If most of those are for IS, then the 99% could track. What this would mean for OOS, especially given the weird Pre-II AL email, I have no idea. Unfortunately for me I'm not sure if they consider me IS or OOS, as I lived in Ohio for my whole life until my postbacc, putting me in a weird split-state situation that no school has given me clarity on. Sucks i can't even fully enjoy the already maybe delusional 99% thing

just got an email from neomed alternate candidate communication, basically talking a out their gap year program

Reactions: 2 users
I maintain my stance that there is no way the AL is getting exhausted and that there are 280 offers being given off AL based on 2024-25 AAMC WL Protocols

Reactions: 5 users
They remained confident in the 99% number or whatever it was that was provided. I will say it doesn't seem totally unreasonable they'd have approx 350 or so As to give out, given they likely have a high turnover on those acceptances. If most of those are for IS, then the 99% could track. What this would mean for OOS, especially given the weird Pre-II AL email, I have no idea. Unfortunately for me I'm not sure if they consider me IS or OOS, as I lived in Ohio for my whole life until my postbacc, putting me in a weird split-state situation that no school has given me clarity on. Sucks i can't even fully enjoy the already maybe delusional 99% thing
I think you’ve got a great chance since the mission of NEOMED is to produce physicians who ultimately want to come back to Ohio, which is literally what you’ve done lol

Did everyone else get the alternate candidate communication email

Reactions: 3 users
This email is part of the communication series to candidates with alternate list status for acceptance to the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) program at Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED). Our goal is to stay in touch with our alternate list candidates on a frequent basis this spring to foster two-way communication. We can assure you that we are actively extending acceptance offers from our alternate list and we are certain that some alternate list candidates are finalizing their plans as well. We want to make sure you know that we are still actively admitting candidates, and if anyone has solidified plans for medical school that do not involve NEOMED, we would like to hear from you as well to keep our list well-managed.

“Plan A” is for you to matriculate to start medical school in 2024. We certainly hope that Plan A includes NEOMED. As we have shared previously, if this admission cycle is similar to years’ past we will offer quite a few seats to great students on our alternate list through May. Our admission cycle has a long way to go until our AMCAS Choose Your Medical School Tool “commit to enroll” date of June 5th.

We also know that every year about 50,000 candidates apply to allopathic medical schools through AMCAS and around 40% will receive one acceptance offer to a medical school in the United States. Having a “Plan B” is a good idea to consider no matter how great of a medical school candidate one is. It sounds incredible, but over 20% of applicants with MCAT scores in the 95th percentile and above will need a Plan B to improve their credentials for the next AMCAS application cycle as they go without an acceptance offer.

There are several great options to consider: medical scribing, clinical research, university-based research, employment in a clinical field, or pursuing an advanced degree that will help improve your credentials and further your career once you get into medical school. If you are considering an advanced degree, you should know about a new approach we are taking at NEOMED.

We have launched several master’s degree programs that take only one year to complete that are intentionally designed to position M.D.’s as health care leaders as they advance their careers. These programs also have opportunities that are paired with early assurance to our M.D. program in the next academic year. You read that correctly: a gap-year advanced degree credential paired with a reserved seat in medical school.

do u think if we select that we’re interested in one of the masters programs that they won’t be bothered to admit us straight to the class

Do all on AL received this email ? Got it few minutes back.

The Northeast Ohio Medical University admission team is hosting an “Ask Us Anything” session about alternate list status on Monday, April 15th from 2:00pm to 3:00 pm EDT. We will cover information about our anticipated timing of admission cycle acceptances for 2024 from April through May, the early assurance gap-year option at NEOMED and how that program works and address questions about anything related to admission and the first-year medical school experience.

Reactions: 6 users

The Northeast Ohio Medical University admission team is hosting an “Ask Us Anything” session about alternate list status on Monday, April 15th from 2:00pm to 3:00 pm EDT. We will cover information about our anticipated timing of admission cycle acceptances for 2024 from April through May, the early assurance gap-year option at NEOMED and how that program works and address questions about anything related to admission and the first-year medical school experience.

got it

maybe theyll host multiple considering there are hundreds of people on the waitlist, they couldnt possibly fit them all on a zoom call

I believe so

How is this virtual session different to others scheduled for April 26, May 12, and June virtual session.

I think this APR 15 session will give more insights about admissions , waitlist count etcc

They did NOT have "Ask us anything" zoom last year and years past . At least I didn't see it on SDN.

How is this virtual session different to others scheduled for April 26, May 12, and June virtual session.
Maybe so far they dont have a lotta people coming on april 26th? (like not many registered for it?)

Match list was good this year - 5 matches to ophthalmology + derm

Manifesting As for all of us in waitlist limbo as we approach the 15th and the 1st. Wanted to come on here and see if any other potential re-applicants (hope its none of us) wanted to get some kind of groupchat/communication together to discuss all things re-application and support each-other for the upcoming cycle. Respond here or DM if interested!

Manifesting As for all of us in waitlist limbo as we approach the 15th and the 1st. Wanted to come on here and see if any other potential re-applicants (hope its none of us) wanted to get some kind of groupchat/communication together to discuss all things re-application and support each-other for the upcoming cycle. Respond here or DM if interested!
And maybe can serve dual purpose to get into touch with future NEOMED classmates :)