2023-2024 Northeast Ohio (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys just relax nothing is going to happen until Monday at the earliest and most likely not until May for 99% of us.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Guys just relax nothing is going to happen until Monday at the earliest and most likely not until May for 99% of us.
Yea don’t get ur hopes up until may time since that’s the highest movement

anyone joining the zoom on Monday? I have to work!!!!!!!! will try to switch w my colleague. in any case, please share what they say on here .. many thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, it’s come to my attention that there are several RD applicants who are IS that are in some of the post bacc programs at NEOMED. So even that 99% IS acceptance rate can be misleading since it includes those already in the post bacc programs, especially those who applied trad. I would anticipate OOS acceptance rate to be even lower. Keep hopes up, but here’s a quick dose of sobering reality in the meantime.

Hi all, it’s come to my attention that there are several RD applicants who are IS that are in some of the post bacc programs at NEOMED. So even that 99% IS acceptance rate can be misleading since it includes those already in the post bacc programs, especially those who applied trad. I would anticipate OOS acceptance rate to be even lower. Keep hopes up, but here’s a quick dose of sobering reality in the meantime.
Last year, there was a 15% matriculation rate for OOS interviewees - I assume the acceptance rate to be at least double that considering many students would choose to stay in state, if they have the option of course

Are you a current medical student here ?

If all above is true then why are they doing things differently this year ?

1. Pre-II AL
2. Ask us anything session
3. They increase the number of AL for 2025

Obviously something isn’t going as planned . I still think many on AL are headed elsewhere

Are you a current medical student here ?
I’m going to be applying most likely two cycles from now, but my sibling goes to NEOMED, so I would say that I have some intimate knowledge about admissions. I’m not revealing any personal info beyond that, sorry.

I want to contribute to this thread to either add validity or dispel rumors for the sake of accuracy. I also like this school a lot :)

Last edited:
If all above is true then why are they doing things differently this year ?

1. Pre-II AL
2. Ask us anything session
3. They increase the number of AL for 2025

Obviously something isn’t going as planned . I still think many on AL are headed elsewhere
1. This is most likely to increase potential candidates for the post bacc early assurance track (one year master’s program), since you can only apply if you are on AL.
2. They have done that several times in years past. It’s a perennial event, this year isn’t special.
3. See Reason 1

I’ll add a fourth one: NEOMED has UG early assurance pathways to med school. In the past they used to guarantee a seat for accepted students but now they require all pathways students to enroll in one of the masters programs prior to matriculation, beginning 2025 onwards. It’s to increase the enrollment and grow the NEOMED graduate school.

Last edited:
  • Wow
@TrustGod

I will also add that, though it may not be intentional or in complete good faith, I feel like your behavior on this thread has been very over-the-top neurotic lately. And I get it. You’re stressed, so are literally the 600 or so other people on the AL who haven’t heard back, everybody’s dreading a reapp. But I feel that your posts in particular have been contributing to a lot of the rumors on this page and making people go crazy.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew my A. Hoping my spot opening up can make someones day in a few weeks. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 8 users
@TrustGod

I will also add that, though it may not be intentional or in complete good faith, I feel like your behavior on this thread has been very over-the-top neurotic lately. And I get it. You’re stressed, so are literally the 600 or so other people on the AL who haven’t heard back, everybody’s dreading a reapp. But I feel that your posts in particular have been contributing to a lot of the rumors on this page and making people go crazy.
That seems a little harsh - and an interesting thing to post to a public forum. Kindness goes a long way, especially when people are clearly stressed.

Reactions: 10 users
That seems a little harsh - and an interesting thing to post to a public forum. Kindness goes a long way, especially when people are clearly stressed.
What this person said. If you’re concerned for someone’s posts, DM them, don’t bring it into a public forum. Also, sometimes seeing that others are just as stressed as you can be beneficial, especially when it comes to applications and waiting for responses. It creates a sense of community and solidarity that can make the stress feel more manageable. Let’s not pass judgement or post things intended to bring people down in this space that is meant to be supportive.

Reactions: 7 users
excuse the neuroticism, but will not attending tomorrow's zoom session be a bad look? couldnt make it due to work

excuse the neuroticism, but will not attending tomorrow's zoom session be a bad look? couldnt make it due to work
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. A common sentiment I’m hearing is that neomed just goes straight down their list when selecting off the AL. They make it pretty clear in their emails that attending their events has no impact on your alternate list status

Reactions: 3 users
I’m sure it would not. NEOMED emphasizes a lot that attending those things has no effect on admission, and they’re pretty chill in general. I absolutely would not stress about it.

Reactions: 2 users
April 15th boys and girls, the game has officially begun

Reactions: 5 users
I wasn’t there for the whole meeting but they said WL movement will get busy in late April/May and that by June 1 their cycle is pretty much done. They also showed a pie chart that showed matriculant admission data. These numbers are definitely not going to be exact bc I don’t remember everything but something like 40% will be RD IS, ~15% will be OOS RD, 40% will be Early Assurance, 8% will be Early Action and then there was maybe another category I don’t remember. They also recorded the meeting so I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an email with a link in the next few days here.

I wasn’t there for the whole meeting but they said WL movement will get busy in late April/May and that by June 1 their cycle is pretty much done. They also showed a pie chart that showed matriculant admission data. These numbers are definitely not going to be exact bc I don’t remember everything but something like 40% will be RD IS, ~15% will be OOS RD, 40% will be Early Assurance, 8% will be Early Action and then there was maybe another category I don’t remember. They also recorded the meeting so I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an email with a link in the next few days here.
Thank you for sharing this. Is this how they accept students? Like 15% OOS? Is that how it's always been or is it lower this year? Also does anyone know how many will be in the first year class?

I don’t know the exact % for sure, I was mostly looking at the IS stuff lol. I just remember that IS RD is 40% and the OOS RD wedge looked like it was just under half of that.

If you want the exact number you could just make a burner email to stay anonymous and then email adcom. They were sharing everything off of a PowerPoint so they might even give that to you

Opinions on the early assurance master programs? I have a DO acceptance right now, which I am leaning towards because I got a 20k/yr scholarship, but it would still be 40k/yr. I also have a 4.0 SMP masters already so doing another masters degree would be draining, but I think that I could make the grade requirements because of that. Should I just run with the DO acceptance or look into the masters programs more? I'm unsure at this point, thoughts?

Opinions on the early assurance master programs? I have a DO acceptance right now, which I am leaning towards because I got a 20k/yr scholarship, but it would still be 40k/yr. I also have a 4.0 SMP masters already so doing another masters degree would be draining, but I think that I could make the grade requirements because of that. Should I just run with the DO acceptance or look into the masters programs more? I'm unsure at this point, thoughts?
Really just depends on your career goals. If you want to do family med or another specialty that isn’t super competitive you should take the DO A and run with it. If you want to do rads, ortho, neuro, plastics, etc. it will be much harder as a DO. Idk if you get a scholarship with EA but NEOMED’s in-state tuition is 45 so you wouldn’t save any money vs. your current DO program.

Really just depends on your career goals. If you want to do family med or another specialty that isn’t super competitive you should take the DO A and run with it. If you want to do rads, ortho, neuro, plastics, etc. it will be much harder as a DO. Idk if you get a scholarship with EA but NEOMED’s in-state tuition is 45 so you wouldn’t save any money vs. your current DO program.
Thanks for the response. Now looking at the match lists, they are pretty similar. I'm not sure if it would make too much of a difference, but I am interested in rads

Thanks for the response. Now looking at the match lists, they are pretty similar. I'm not sure if it would make too much of a difference, but I am interested in rads
DO and MD can both match into any specific specialty. Interventional radiology and diagnostic radiology has tons of DO. Really any specialty really
Takes both types of Docs.

fellow smp'er here in a similar position, been accepted to a few DOs and on a couple of waitlists at MDs. Honestly it depends how much left you have in the tank, you and I both know SMP's are no joke, to do another one is a big ask. Check your accepted DO's match list is the best advice to give, if you can see over the last couple years that they've matched multiple rads residencies than its a complete viable way to match in that residency at your DO school. I've relinquished to the fact fully that if I don't get into an MD program, i'll be just as happy at one of the DO programs, at the end of the day I just want to be a doctor, I don't care what letters proceed after my name. Good luck with everything in the future!

I feel like I'm checking this forum every hour in hopes of seeing an update haha!! Hopefully we can hear about some waitlist movement this week. Hang in there folks!!

fellow smp'er here in a similar position, been accepted to a few DOs and on a couple of waitlists at MDs. Honestly it depends how much left you have in the tank, you and I both know SMP's are no joke, to do another one is a big ask. Check your accepted DO's match list is the best advice to give, if you can see over the last couple years that they've matched multiple rads residencies than its a complete viable way to match in that residency at your DO school. I've relinquished to the fact fully that if I don't get into an MD program, i'll be just as happy at one of the DO programs, at the end of the day I just want to be a doctor, I don't care what letters proceed after my name. Good luck with everything in the future!
Good luck to you as well! Hopefully we see some WL movement soon.
I agree, getting to be a doctor is the end goal and someone can only handle so much graduate coursework lol. The DO school does have a decent match list so I think I will just go ahead and attend if I don't come off the WL

Good luck to you as well! Hopefully we see some WL movement soon.
I agree, getting to be a doctor is the end goal and someone can only handle so much graduate coursework lol. The DO school does have a decent match list so I think I will just go ahead and attend if I don't come off the WL
Are you OOS?

Are you on their waitlist? I'm in a similar position (never did an SMP though) but I'm on the pre-II AL and I don't know how I can apply to their early assurance program, assuming I'm allowed to.

Does anyone know if they provide feedback about your app if you don't get in first try? I'd apply to the early assurance program but I already have a master's degree and I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle of getting ANOTHER one in a slightly different subject lol. Wondering if they'd be open to suggesting other options to strengthen app (ex. more clinic hours, more publications, retaking MCAT, etc).

Does anyone know if they provide feedback about your app if you don't get in first try? I'd apply to the early assurance program but I already have a master's degree and I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle of getting ANOTHER one in a slightly different subject lol. Wondering if they'd be open to suggesting other options to strengthen app (ex. more clinic hours, more publications, retaking MCAT, etc).
but it looks like you already have 2 acceptances

I wonder if they will start calling after the april 26th campus visit day.

Got the A off the alternate list today. Going to decline it in the next week or so. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 8 users