2023-2024 Northeast Ohio (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS A off the alternate list today... does anyone know is the "weed it down to 3" rule applies after the 15th? Or how much time do we have to make decisions after getting an A (if that A brings you up to over 3 As)?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS A off the alternate list today... does anyone know is the "weed it down to 3" rule applies after the 15th? Or how much time do we have to make decisions after getting an A (if that A brings you up to over 3 As)?

by the 15th you should weed it down to 3

Reactions: 1 user
by the 15th you should weed it down to 3
But what happens if we did that and then get off a waitlist after the 15th? Do we need to keep it down to 3 or can we keep any additional acceptances we get between the 15th and the 30th? I can't seem to find any information about this online

But what happens if we did that and then get off a waitlist after the 15th? Do we need to keep it down to 3 or can we keep any additional acceptances we get between the 15th and the 30th? I can't seem to find any information about this online

you narrow it down as you get more acceptances to keep 3 at a time

Reactions: 1 users
Is there an AMCAS protocol/rule that specifically states this?
Per the following link: Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants

1. In fairness to other applicants, if you have decided before April 30 not to attend a medical school or program that has offered you an acceptance, promptly withdraw your application from that school(s) or program(s).
  2. Out of respect for other applicants, if you receive an offer of acceptance from more than one school or program:
    1. Withdraw your acceptance from any school or program you do not plan to attend as soon as you have made that decision;
    2. On or before April 15, narrow your selection(s) to no more than three schools or programs, and withdraw your acceptance(s) from all other schools or programs; and
    3. On or before April 30, choose the school or program to which you plan to matriculate and promptly withdraw your acceptances from all other schools or programs.
  3. If you receive additional acceptances following April 30, it is your responsibility to promptly notify any school(s) you have decided to not attend. Your decision should be made by the deadline established by the medical school(s).

Reactions: 2 users
Who calls to offer the acceptance?

I got the acceptance as well! I am out of the country so just saw the email. IS from northeast Ohio, LM 73. So grateful!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the A off the alternate list today. Going to decline it in the next week or so. Good luck everyone!
If you know you're going to decline, why hold the spot (not judging, trying to understand rationale)?

If you know you're going to decline, why hold the spot (not judging, trying to understand rationale)?
Personally, I held onto my A longer because I was waiting for financial aid. But I weighed my options and I realized another program might be a better fit, and I asked myself - if I got off any one of my waitlists would I still go here? Plus, knowing the volume of the waitlist here, I didn’t want to contribute to delaying another persons’ acceptance.

Personally, I held onto my A longer because I was waiting for financial aid. But I weighed my options and I realized another program might be a better fit, and I asked myself - if I got off any one of my waitlists would I still go here? Plus, knowing the volume of the waitlist here, I didn’t want to contribute to delaying another persons’ acceptance.
This is similar to the reason why I am hanging on to my spot. Though I will likely give up my acceptance for another program, I want to wait as long as I can for financial reasons. I will likely give up my A on 4/29 if I do not receive information by that point.

This is similar to the reason why I am hanging on to my spot. Though I will likely give up my acceptance for another program, I want to wait as long as I can for financial reasons. I will likely give up my A on 4/29 if I do not receive information by that point.
The email the financial aid department sent out 4/16 said they anticipate issuing financial aid offers in mid-May.

The email the financial aid department sent out 4/16 said they anticipate issuing financial aid offers in mid-May.
To clarify: they have no information posted anywhere about when they give out scholarships. That’s what I’m holding out for. Financial can mean more than FAFSA related aid.

Last edited:
Super excited for all of you who got off the waitlist!! Congratulations Doctors!
The anxiety is now sky-high as I compulsively refresh my email every day waiting for that A!!

Right. everyone’s different. I don’t think financial aid would have swayed my decision about where I committed + I would go to any of my waitlists no matter the cost.

For ppl watching turnover, IS A off of WL yesterday, but I'm committing elsewhere so I'll be letting NEOMED know today or tmw! GL everyone, seems like As come super late here so don't lose hope if you're on the WL! :giggle:

Reactions: 7 users
are people who interviewed earlier in the cycle more likely to come off of the AL first? or did they rank everyone on the AL after finishing interviews and those spots are getting off first?

are people who interviewed earlier in the cycle more likely to come off of the AL first? or did they rank everyone on the AL after finishing interviews and those spots are getting off first?
I have a feeling it’s a ranked system. I had my interview later in the cycle (2/29) and was one of the first to come off the AL in late March.

I have a feeling it’s a ranked system. I had my interview later in the cycle (2/29) and was one of the first to come off the AL in late March.
Like ranked on gpa and mcat right ?

Like ranked on gpa and mcat right ?
They rank it using everything. Seems like those who have gotten off so far have been high stat/nontrad applicants either local to the area or at least Ohio natives. They will work their way down the list eventually

They rank it using everything. Seems like those who have gotten off so far have been high stat applicants either local to the area or at least Ohio natives. They will work their way down the list eventually
Yes exactly! Also keep in mind that waitlist movement is really just starting. It gains momentum after May 1st when candidates have to narrow their A's to one!!

I agree that it’s not based on when you interviewed because I interviewed mid-cycle I wanna say in November or December? And I just got off AL yesterday

you narrow it down as you get more acceptances to keep 3 at a time
Also for anyone else who might be wondering about this, I spoke with an AMCAS rep today and they said we needed to weed is down to 3 acceptances by 4/15 but between 4/15 and 4/30 there are no protocols, so we can keep any acceptances we have in this two week timeframe until the 30th when we decide on our one top choice

I am on the AL for this school and another one, yet nothing is showing up on AMCAS as far as CYMS. Is this normal?

It showed up for me as alternate list on CYMS
It looks like the tool will only show up in an acceptance is rendered, since I don’t have an A yet I can’t view it

Idk if AMCAS or the NEOMED admissions office would be the better place to call, but I would probably call somewhere just to make sure
Ohhh are you saying both your AL schools aren’t showing up? Because I’m pretty CYMS doesn’t show up until you get an acceptance but I’m not positive

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah it doesn’t show till you have an MD A. They probably aren’t sending any more As until May we just gotta chill till then

Yeah it doesn’t show till you have an MD A. They probably aren’t sending any more As until May we just gotta chill till then
I am hoping I get an A before I visit them on the 26th. :)

I am OOS

Another email today about the Masters program, has anyone been accepted to the MD program today?

did your email make you fill out a survey to express continued interest in remaining on the alternate list?
I think they want to narrow down the list by clearly asking if you want to remain on the AL. Most people are probably choosing other schools.

just a theory but feel like they’re gonna send out decisions on Wednesdays