2023-2024 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Questions for current KPCOM students :)

1) How early can you start your clinical electives, second half of M4? Ideally I'd like to have opportunity for elective clinical sites prior to applying to residencies.
2) Are you content with the research and extra curricular opportunities available to students?
3) Do you have dedicated prep time for board exams?
4) Can you take a mock COMLEX before taking the real one?

TYIA!!
1. I think most of 4th year but I am not sure, thats so far ahead it shouldn't really be a priority in my opinion.
2. We are required to do a research project second year and most faculty are open to doing research with first years second semester when we are allowed to. There are lots of clubs with leadership opportunities.
3. Yes we have 6 weeks
4. Yes you are required to pass the schools before you are allowed to take the real one

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students speak to Nova's rotation sites. It seems there were many issues caused by covid and also the opening of the Tampa campus. Has the school figured some of that out or are the sites still in smaller hospitals spread all over the state?
The school changes rotation sites every year, there are some core ones that are by the campuses but many are spread out. The school has not given us a definitive list.

I am a current M1, 5 weeks away from finishing my first year of med school (yay)! I saw someone asking about ipads; you are required to have your own, you are also required to purchase a VR headset, Pdx materials, opp uniform, and scrubs so expect to pay about $1000-1500 before you start your first semester. I have heard talk of some curriculum changes, such as that the incoming M1s will have to be on campus a lot more for mandatory courses and will have more VR stuff I think. I have also heard that they are raising the tuition to 80k a year. I would strongly suggest taking a look at your finances and seeing if $320,000+ in loans is feasible for you. Do an online loan repayment calculator and plug in what the average salary for the specialty you're interested in and see what those loan repayments will be each month. Don't brush it off as "oh I will just live as a resident for a few years after", this is a very significant chunk of money and the interest only makes it grow. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current M1, 5 weeks away from finishing my first year of med school (yay)! I saw someone asking about ipads; you are required to have your own, you are also required to purchase a VR headset, Pdx materials, opp uniform, and scrubs so expect to pay about $1000-1500 before you start your first semester. I have heard talk of some curriculum changes, such as that the incoming M1s will have to be on campus a lot more for mandatory courses and will have more VR stuff I think. I have also heard that they are raising the tuition to 80k a year. I would strongly suggest taking a look at your finances and seeing if $320,000+ in loans is feasible for you. Do an online loan repayment calculator and plug in what the average salary for the specialty you're interested in and see what those loan repayments will be each month. Don't brush it off as "oh I will just live as a resident for a few years after", this is a very significant chunk of money and the interest only makes it grow. Good luck!
80,000 is insane. Is it just talk or have you heard confirmation it will happen?

80,000 is insane. Is it just talk or have you heard confirmation it will happen?

The school doesn’t say anything until they actually do it. All of us last year had the happy surprise of finding out they got rid of in state tuition when they charged us out of state tuition with no warning.

The school doesn’t say anything until they actually do it. All of us last year had the happy surprise of finding out they got rid of in state tuition when they charged us out of state tuition with no warning.
I heard about that. A few of my friends are M1s at Nova right now and everyone was apparently extremely mad. It's ridiculous tbh because paying back those loans could be tough.