2023-2024 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
don't freak out if you're on alternate list! usually most people make it off at some point

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I also got on the alternate list today OOS! Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting off the alternate list is considering it is so late in the cycle? Is there usually much movement in May?

I also got on the alternate list today OOS! Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting off the alternate list is considering it is so late in the cycle? Is there usually much movement in May?
High!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to WCUCOM with a complete and verified application back in June 2023. I have not heard anything or received a secondary? Does this mean that I have been rejected or ghosted because I have not received any rejection letter either. I check my email daily as well as spam.

I applied to WCUCOM with a complete and verified application back in June 2023. I have not heard anything or received a secondary? Does this mean that I have been rejected or ghosted because I have not received any rejection letter either. I check my email daily as well as spam.
Call or email admissions. If you have pending courses when you applied, probably they might have put on hold or on mcat

No I do not have any pending courses or MCAT. I graduated last year from college.
if you're interested in getting a II at this point i would probably call admissions and check on your app status. otherwise your probably getting ghosted at this point ngl. but they do send another swamp of secondaries around the beginning of june/mid june to get the last seats filled in july!

could anyone share how I should go about getting my titers drawn? is there a way to order them myself through labcorp/quest or some other website? and also, how do I make sure that they meet the requirements set by the school (quantitative results, etc.)

Last edited:
has anyone heard pine park apartments? the school suggested a bunch of other places except this one and I was wondering why

has anyone heard pine park apartments? the school suggested a bunch of other places except this one and I was wondering why
those apartment complexes right by campus are pretty run down and generally pretty unsafe. if you're on campus late at night you can hear gunfire over there on more than one occasion...

• Wow
could anyone share how I should go about getting my titers drawn? is there a way to order them myself through labcorp/quest or some other website? and also, how do I make sure that they meet the requirements set by the school (quantitative results, etc.)
I have visited my PCP to order them for me and complete the paper work. IgG antibodies are measured part of your titers, if none detected vaccinations are proposed

Members don't see this ad :)
I have visited my PCP to order them for me and complete the paper work. IgG antibodies are measured part of your titers, if none detected vaccinations are proposed
I tried to schedule an appt with a PCP since I don’t have one and their office called me to tell me they can’t do them for some reason :/ found out that you can order tests on labcorp yourself and get them done but just paranoid that I’ll pay a ton of money for the wrong tests

those apartment complexes right by campus are pretty run down and generally pretty unsafe. if you're on campus late at night you can hear gunfire over there on more than one occasion...
the area around campus is that unsafe? 😳 have you experienced feeling unsafe when you’re on campus for classes/studying?

omg I had no idea, thank you for the info. I didn't realize that the area near campus was unsafe.

I tried to schedule an appt with a PCP since I don’t have one and their office called me to tell me they can’t do them for some reason :/ found out that you can order tests on labcorp yourself and get them done but just paranoid that I’ll pay a ton of money for the wrong tests
May be you should schedule as maintenance health check up appointment. I didn't do that but that is how it looks on my report. I told them I needed an appointment for the documentation and need to consult for immunizations

the area around campus is that unsafe? 😳 have you experienced feeling unsafe when you’re on campus for classes/studying?
i actually had the same question. I was looking up crime rates in the area and they are pretty high
during the daytime i wouldn't say the area is unsafe at all, and i've never felt unsafe there during the day. all the buildings are locked and e-key entry 24/7. at night if i'm walking to my car i def walk with friends. but those apartment complexes are typically more unsafe for sure.

during the daytime i wouldn't say the area is unsafe at all, and i've never felt unsafe there during the day. all the buildings are locked and e-key entry 24/7. at night if i'm walking to my car i def walk with friends. but those apartment complexes are typically more unsafe for sure.
I hope inside the campus safe at night? I saw patrolling around the campus in the night but not sure how long they do.

just got into a different school off the waitlist, will be withdrawing my A in a couple of days. Good luck guys!

Hi! I am looking for someone to lease a 2 bedroom and 2 bathroom apartment. Following is the cost for the apartment, it is 15 mins away from WCU. I would prefer a female. Please DM if interested. The place is called Eagle Flatt- it is student housing.
Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 6.57.48 PM.png

Got the A a few days ago off of the alternate list after being there around two weeks! Could someone please add me to the GroupMe? Thanks!

All,

I'm a student at William Carey that's getting ready to start 2nd year. If you have questions, feel free to ask them and I'll do my best to answer them.

For those admitted, we're working on getting your class forum set-up in the next week (not sure about the GroupMe, but if you have one great). Once that happens you'll have a means to communicate with your future classmates that won't be directly observed by the school admin. We waited this long, because as others have intimated, there is always some fluctuation in the class members and we wanted to wait until things were a little more solid.

Steve

My parents are struggling with the fact of how high the crime rates are in the area. Unfortunately, they looked it up and saw that the rate of someone being a victim of a crime is 1 in 21. Can someone speak on the crime rates in the area and how unsafe it actually it is?

My parents are struggling with the fact of how high the crime rates are in the area. Unfortunately, they looked it up and saw that the rate of someone being a victim of a crime is 1 in 21. Can someone speak on the crime rates in the area and how unsafe it actually it is?
Don’t be stupid and dumb and you’ll be fine, it’s like any other city, don’t go to east Hattiesburg/downtown, the school is in a college town, apartment wise use the list the school gave you

Last edited:
You've received the main part of the answer. I will say that the majority of campus is within one fenced enclosure, and it is patrolled regularly and has two main vehicle access points that are manned. After school hours, that access if fully restricted to one vehicle entrance. There are badged gates that you can get in and out of otherwise, but this fully restricts who is able to get on campus. I have never seen anyone on campus that shouldn't be. Further all buildings are badge access at all hours, and only students with permission to be in those buildings can get in.

Hattiesburg has a larger university and is a small city that has good areas and bad areas. Mainly you want to be cognizant about your travel in East Hattiesburg, north of campus. Otherwise, while I'm a male and that obviously reduces what I face personally, I have never felt unsafe travelling or walking around in Hattiesburg barring the area I mentioned, including at night.

• Haha
First years - can anyone talk about how exams are structured? Formatting?

Got the acceptance letter on May 24th, was on alternate list. Non Canadian International.

Don’t be stupid and dumb and you’ll be fine, it’s like any other city, don’t go to west Hattiesburg/downtown, the school is in a college town, apartment wise use the list the school gave you
*east hahaha ;)

• Care

I placed an order through request a test……titers and Quantiferon TB are required from what canvas says

I attached a link to the correct test….just make the appointment through quest diagnostic or lab corp once u buy the test. Can know two birds with one stone getting blood drawn.

First years - can anyone talk about how exams are structured? Formatting?
There are talks that curriculum is changing, be sure to ask about that when interviewing because we as students have not been told anything officially.

What is the best way to look for housing? Do you recommend on campus housing or private within the neighborhood?

What is the best way to look for housing? Do you recommend on campus housing or private within the neighborhood?
Private for sure, on campus has so many restrictions, y'all should get a list with recommended apartments!