2023-2024 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waitlist! maybe we all got it lol

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a WL email now, but for me McGovern was higher. For those who got WL from them being on a lower position, UT TYLER sent me a WL email …. I thought TMDSAS inactivates all applications below the highest match??

It is odd that McGovern is rejecting people who had them ranked higher while putting people on waitlist who matched to a higher school on their ranklist. Something is seriously wrong with the process.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a waitlist email earlier. I ranked mcgovern higher

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlist here too. Hopefully some of the people who matched a school they ranked higher will give us a chance. Almost afraid to get my hopes up though

Waitlist here too. Hopefully some of the people who matched a school they ranked higher will give us a chance. Almost afraid to get my hopes up though
I hope so too… the thing is the match already happened. No more scramble, unless people get, say, top rated schools OOS and free up spots in TX for people to move which would cause trickle effects in TX schools WLs. But AMCAS works on a later schedule than us so it might not be a while until those moves happen. I am also on the WL, but a former adcom I know personally explained to me yesterday why I shouldn’t get my hopes up. I’m blessed to already have matched an amazing school, but McGovern was ranked higher. I’ll give it a bit of time to see what happens, but still gotta make plans to move to my matched school, find a place to live etc My adcom friend said one would have to be very high on the WL and even so at their school they only moved about 10-15 people at most, with the most realistic number being 8-10. It is what it is. Just sharing in case it helps anyone stay grounded.

Reactions: 8 users
But does anyone know roughly the amount of people get off the waitlist for Mcgovern. They said UTMB is 10-15, was wondering if anyone knows the stat for Mcgovern

Members don't see this ad :)
last year McGoverns waitlist started moving right after the waitlist emails were sent out. do we think it’ll be the same this year starting tomorrow?

Very anecdotal, but I know quite a few friends (>5) that have gotten off the McGovern waitlist in prior years (not all in one year). And that's just my sample size. So you can be cautiously optimistic! I'm assuming it will be a while before many people get off though because of the AMCAS trickle effect as described above.

Reactions: 4 users
last year McGoverns waitlist started moving right after the waitlist emails were sent out. do we think it’ll be the same this year starting tomorrow?
2 people withdrew their offers from Baylor already so maybe/hopefully that'll cause some sort of trickle down effect

Reactions: 3 users
I’m so interested to see if anything happens this week! fingers crossed 🫣

is it a good idea to sign up for the re-applicant workshop while on the waitlist? Does this show that I am dedicated to the school or that I’ve resigned myself to not getting in this cycle?

is it a good idea to sign up for the re-applicant workshop while on the waitlist? Does this show that I am dedicated to the school or that I’ve resigned myself to not getting in this cycle?
Is McGovern hosting one?

Very anecdotal, but I know quite a few friends (>5) that have gotten off the McGovern waitlist in prior years (not all in one year). And that's just my sample size. So you can be cautiously optimistic! I'm assuming it will be a while before many people get off though because of the AMCAS trickle effect as described above.

I have a friend that got off the waitlist in May of last cycle but she gave it up due to an OOS A. Here’s to us all cautiously hoping

Reactions: 2 users
Is this just for applicants who interviewed?
It says: "This workshop is intended for applicants who did not interview at McGovern Medical School and who are seeking advice on how to improve their application. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer one-on-one file reviews or application feedback for those applicants who did interview with us until our incoming class list is finalized."

Does everyone that interviewed but didn’t get in get wait listed?

Can anyone who is a current student at McGovern discuss what ya'll do for parking? Is it worth it to just bite the bullet and pay the outrageous amount they charge for the monthly pass? Or does everyone who doesn't live nearby take the shuttle?

Can anyone who is a current student at McGovern discuss what ya'll do for parking? Is it worth it to just bite the bullet and pay the outrageous amount they charge for the monthly pass? Or does everyone who doesn't live nearby take the shuttle?
I have heard of people taking only an evening/night pass (my info is 5-10 years old) which is much cheaper and use shuttles during the day.

Does everyone that interviewed but didn’t get in get wait listed?
there was an email sent out on friday that they sent to people they were waitlisting. Not sure if that was the only day they were sending out those emails though

I don't attend in-person enough to see the value in a monthly pass. Most of my classmates live very close to campus and catch the rail to class, so they don't worry about parking at all. First semester, when we always had to attend in-person, I parked at the Houston Zoo for free and walked about 15-20 minutes each way. It became part of my routine, sometimes knocking out Anki cards during the walk, and other times just enjoying the "fresh" (in Houston!?) air and appreciating the insanity of the TMC. Now that we're into modules and much more independent learning, I find paying 4-8 dollars per day to park right across the street worth not having to walk 30-40 minutes roundtrip.

I keep saying I'm gonna arrive earlier and start walking and saving again, but who am I kidding lol. We're being graded now, and I'd rather be poor and have more time to study than pocket a few extra bucks and wonder if those 40 minutes 2-3 times per week would've been better spent lifting weights, running, studying, or spending time with my family. Efficiency is your friend, even at the expense of poverty or increased debt load. I hope some of this helps!

Reactions: 6 users
I don't attend in-person enough to see the value in a monthly pass. Most of my classmates live very close to campus and catch the rail to class, so they don't worry about parking at all. First semester, when we always had to attend in-person, I parked at the Houston Zoo for free and walked about 15-20 minutes each way. It became part of my routine, sometimes knocking out Anki cards during the walk, and other times just enjoying the "fresh" (in Houston!?) air and appreciating the insanity of the TMC. Now that we're into modules and much more independent learning, I find paying 4-8 dollars per day to park right across the street worth not having to walk 30-40 minutes roundtrip.

I keep saying I'm gonna arrive earlier and start walking and saving again, but who am I kidding lol. We're being graded now, and I'd rather be poor and have more time to study than pocket a few extra bucks and wonder if those 40 minutes 2-3 times per week would've been better spent lifting weights, running, studying, or spending time with my family. Efficiency is your friend, even at the expense of poverty or increased debt load. I hope some of this helps!
Dont know which way you walk from zoo but one side is most wooded area in Houston I am aware of!

Dont know which way you walk from zoo but one side is most wooded area in Houston I am aware of!
I would park in one of the few free lots near the golf course, if you know what I mean. It's a straight shot and not wooded at all. A classmate worked in the TMC the year before we started and told me the zoo lots were a hidden gem. I agree!

Last edited:
I would park in on of the few free lots near the golf course, if you know what I mean. It's a straight shot and not wooded at all. A classmate worked in the TMC the year before started and told me the zoo lots were a hidden gem. I agree!
I worked in the TMC and parked at the zoo. You’ll also see lots of people on electric scooters! You can get one for only like $200

I am kind of confused. So I can place a deposit on my seat at Tech but still get off the waitlist until April 30? Does placing my deposit make me need to pull my app from McGovern?

I am kind of confused. So I can place a deposit on my seat at Tech but still get off the waitlist until April 30? Does placing my deposit make me need to pull my app from McGovern?
when is your payment due?

TMDSAS keeps your waitlist (if you were given one at McGovern and accepted it) until May 15th. TMDSAS revokes all waitlists as of May 15th for those with a Texas admission.

when is your payment due?

TMDSAS keeps your waitlist (if you were given one at McGovern and accepted it) until May 15th. TMDSAS revokes all waitlists as of May 15th for those with a Texas admission.
may or april?

when is this waitlist supposed to start moving? like why is match so early if nothing is going to happen between now and may

when is this waitlist supposed to start moving? like why is match so early if nothing is going to happen between now and may
Because a lot of the “spaces” in the class are created when a Texan leaves for an OOS school offer, and the AMCAS schools don’t require folks to make a decision until April. That’s when more WL motion happens

Not at this time, and not unless you are offered admission
If I accept WL and McGovern later offers me admission, will I loose my match to Long automatically, or do I have another opportunity to decide then? eg. Does accepting McGovern WL now automatically binds me when they offer admission?

I like both schools, hard to decide now. Anyone had strong experience between Long vs. McGovern, I'd love to hear. I visited McGovern and really liked it, but I'v never been to Long or even San Antonio.

Last edited:
So if McGovern offers me admission later, will I loose the other match automatically, or do I have an opportunity to decide? just wondering if the waitlist is binding?
It is totally your choice, you can accept the WL offer or stay with your current school

I matched to Tech and our placement guarantee fee is due March 1. I’m on the WL at McGovern. So if I pay the fee for tech, but then get an acceptance from the WL at McGovern, I can accept at McGovern? Or does paying my deposit at Tech make me ineligible for McGovern WL? In other words, is Tech’s fee binding? I know I could email Tech and ask if it’s binding but that’s scary haha.

Also, Tech is Texas Tech Lubbock. I’ve grown up calling it Tech so that’s just what I call it. Not this Lubbock stuff haha.

I matched to Tech and our placement guarantee fee is due March 1. I’m on the WL at McGovern. So if I pay the fee for tech, but then get an acceptance from the WL at McGovern, I can accept at McGovern? Or does paying my deposit at Tech make me ineligible for McGovern WL? In other words, is Tech’s fee binding? I know I could email Tech and ask if it’s binding but that’s scary haha.

Also, Tech is Texas Tech Lubbock. I’ve grown up calling it Tech so that’s just what I call it. Not this Lubbock stuff haha.
You could still withdraw from your matched school if you get an acceptance from a WL school you prefer.
Texans holding a TMDSAS spot are only eligible for new offers from TMDSAS WL schools until May 15th.

I worked in the TMC and parked at the zoo. You’ll also see lots of people on electric scooters! You can get one for only like $200
Truth! I should probably look into getting one. It'd pay for itself in a matter of weeks if I get it for a low enough price.

Last edited: