2023-2024 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how housing works for the last two years here? Do you pay for all the rotations housing and are most of them not close to the campus or is it only a few times far enough from the area you need to find living accommodations?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how housing works for the last two years here? Do you pay for all the rotations housing and are most of them not close to the campus or is it only a few times far enough from the area you need to find living accommodations?

Mostly everything is within the region of the RGV. I believe they are still affiliated with the hospital and clinics in Harlingen, TX which is around 45 mins to 1 hr (with traffic) from the med school. Other clinics are within the vicinity of Edinburg, McAllen, Peñitas and other surrounding cities. Idk how many times they go to Harlingen for rotations but living in Edinburg is where the med students are at.

hi has anyone made a groupme or facebook group for the class of 2028?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As anyone received any other information from the university post match?

Has anyone reached out about waitlist movement or knows anything more? Should I expect an update or most movement in April as an OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much does the OOS WL typically move?
I don't know. OOS matriculants at the most are 5-6 people

p.s. @sciencerules135 you have been given some good and specific advice on your reapplicant thread, so while waiting please add to your in-person community engagement activities to give you better prospects if you need a reapplication cycle

Last edited:
i dont want to be neurotic (but im going to be neurotic lol) but is there any way of seeing any waitlist movement besides word of mouth?

i dont want to be neurotic (but im going to be neurotic lol) but is there any way of seeing any waitlist movement besides word of mouth?
FR I haven't seen any movement from any tmdsas school

Do waitlist movements rely only on people communicating to schools through an email?

the director yesterday said they interviewed around 700 people for class of 28

• Wow
Is it just me or does that seems pretty high for a class size of about 60
I agree it's high compared to the other Texas schools with similar class sizes. Factors are desirability of the city where the school is located, available opportunities, accreditation status, and success (or not) of matriculants.

Here are the interviewed student numbers compared to class size for the other Texas schools of similar class size:
TCU 256 >> 60, Ft. Worth Texas, no in-state preference as it is a private school on AMCAS system
Dell 368 >> 50, Austin Texas
UH Fertitta 333 >> 60 Houston Texas-adjacent suburb
UT Tyler 272 >> 40 Tyler TX population 110,000 east Texas with the attraction of free 4 year tuition for its first 2 incoming classes (EY23 and EY24)
UTRGV 526 >> 55 Edinburg Texas, population 107,000 in a 880,000 metroplex near the Mexican border.

I agree it's high compared to the other Texas schools with similar class sizes. Factors are desirability of the city where the school is located, available opportunities, accreditation status, and success (or not) of matriculants.

Here are the interviewed student numbers compared to class size for the other Texas schools of similar class size:
TCU 256 >> 60, Ft. Worth Texas, no in-state preference as it is a private school on AMCAS system
Dell 368 >> 50, Austin Texas
UH Fertitta 333 >> 60 Houston Texas-adjacent suburb
UT Tyler 272 >> 40 Tyler TX population 110,000 east Texas with the attraction of free 4 year tuition for its first 2 incoming classes (EY23 and EY24)
UTRGV 526 >> 55 Edinburg Texas, population 107,000 in a 880,000 metroplex near the Mexican border.
Where are you gettin these #s from? I've only seen UTRGV publishes interview totals

Did want to let everyone know that I emailed yesterday to ask if there had been any movement or if they can provide any vague information about status/location of where I am on WL. As expected, they can not tell you either but it was worth a shot hahahah. Spreading positive vibes while us WLers keep waiting:)

Reactions: 7 users
Did want to let everyone know that I emailed yesterday to ask if there had been any movement or if they can provide any vague information about status/location of where I am on WL. As expected, they can not tell you either but it was worth a shot hahahah. Spreading positive vibes while us WLers keep waiting:)
Thanks for taking one for the team. I wonder why they didn't answer whether WL movement has happened

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else received FAFSA email from UTRGV Financial Aid? I still haven't gotten off the waitlist though..

Reactions: 1 users
WOW!!! Congratulations! That's amazing!! Was this your first choice? What state are you from?
Thank you! I'm from Wisconsin. I had one other A and was totally not expecting this A, but surprise! Happy friday i guess

Thank you! I'm from Wisconsin. I had one other A and was totally not expecting this A, but surprise! Happy friday i guess
Thats great news to have more than one A in this super competitive environment! Nice to have a choice lol which way are you leaning?

Is the first couple days of may when they normally send a lot out because of the April 30th deadline? I am little lost on what this deadline means, I thought after match day everyone just has one acceptance