For all those secondaries that ask: "Why do you want to come to our school?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Explosivo

blah!
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw this on the Tufts medschool website and found it very refreshing:

"For the overwhelming majority of our applicants, the correct answer to this question is simply "no." That answer is fine and perfectly acceptable - please do not feel compelled to turn to research or creative writing. Most applicants apply to many schools to optimize the likelihood of admission. We understand this. It's OK to click "no" and move on. If, however, there is something you would like us to know in this regard, please tell us."

I think it's great Tufts mentions this in a rare moment of clarity and candor by the admissions office of a med school. So for all of you like myself who were worrying about how to answer such a question on a secondary, may this be a guide...thought I'd just share this with everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

i'd probably find something special about tufts and put it down. probably will help when we're begging to get off waitlists and want to tell them everything we love about them. who knows.

Why is it about the only school for which I have something I wish to write for the "why our school" question (CWRU - 'cause my fiance and her family are from a suburb of Cleveland) doesn't have such a space for that question?! Grrrrr.:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jot
i'd probably find something special about tufts and put it down. probably will help when we're begging to get off waitlists and want to tell them everything we love about them. who knows.

Well I figure you could send them a letter of intent or continued interest when things get to the point of waitlists. I really wouldn't have much to say if I answered that question now. After an interview though, I'm sure I could come up with great things but at this point...I'm really not sure. Plus, I'm not a really good BS'er so anything I may write will probably look transparent at this point anyway and won't improve my chances much.

The question isn't why do you want to come here, rather it's "Is there any reason or circumstance/history that motivates you to attend TUSM in particular or to study in Boston, as opposed to attending another school in another city?"

In this case, I guess "no" is an appropriate answer. However, what do the rest of you think? Do you think that it may affect their decision if you say "no"? I think they know kissing up if they see it, so wouldn't it be better to just be honest and say "no", rather than BS it?

Originally posted by jot

I'm with jot on this - it's better to express your @ss-kissing enthuisiasm now that in May. Also jot & I are MSTP, and there's lots of good things about Tuft's MSTP program to talk about.

scienceriot,

As far as I know, the TUSM says "NO" is a perfectly acceptable answer for their secondary to that question. They have rephrased the "why do you want to come here?" question into a "yes, no, if yes please explain" type question instead. As for others though I'm not so sure. One possibilty for such a question may be to check if you have researched a school. Then the question makes some sense to be answered by all applicants without exception. And if this is the case then I'll be happy to oblige them with my BS skills I picked up in my English lit classes (I think every paper I wrote for those classes was utter BS). I'm just happy TUSM makes it clear that they aren't interested in BS.

I guess my main point is I'll BS if I have to but I am afraid it will make me sound disingenuous. I still don't know what I'm going to do.

you never have to bull**** completely.
if you do, then the school's not right for you and you shouldn't be applying.

if you can't find even ONE thing you especially like about the school, whether it be location, curriculum, whatever, then why are you applying?!?
there are over 100 other schools you could be applying to instead!

don't answer 'no' to a question that asks if and why you want to come to their school. but don't bull**** either. just find something redeeming about the school, something unique, something you LIKE, and tell them.

tufts isn't mstp is it? where do they get funding from bikini?

you can mention something about how much you like the fact that tufts is 2 seconds away from good dimsum ...