NHSC 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone gotten a credit check yet or still nothing?

Members don't see this ad.

How does the stipend work? Do we recieve the stipend on top of the loans we get for living expenses?
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but you can apply for more loans if the stipend alone is not enough. The stipend is taxed, so there is a high chance you might need to take out more loans if you are living in the city, have dependents, shopping addiction... etc. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Still haven’t heard anything but are anyone else’s loans changing servicers and dropping your credit score like 80-100 points until everything updates? Of course it would happen the same month as them checking lol I figure it’s not a problem but still has me stressed

Still haven’t heard anything but are anyone else’s loans changing servicers and dropping your credit score like 80-100 points until everything updates? Of course it would happen the same month as them checking lol I figure it’s not a problem but still has me stressed

Same thing happened to me, except the change is smaller since I have a large credit history. No sweat though. They are looking for signs you have defaulted on financial commitments, not your FICO credit score.

From the NHSC Scholarship Application Guide:

(1) History of honoring prior legal obligations. The NHSC will perform a hard inquiry with the
credit bureaus prior to making the award decision. NHSC SP applicants who do not have a
history of honoring prior legal obligations, as evidenced by one or more of the following
factors, may be prohibited from selection as a scholar:
a. Default on any federal payment obligations (e.g., Department of Education student loans,
Health Education Assistance Loans, Nursing Student Loans, Federal Housing
Administration Loans, federal income tax liabilities, federally guaranteed/insured loans
(e.g., student or home mortgage loans)).
b. Any non-federal payment obligations (e.g., court- ordered child support payments or state
tax liabilities) even if the applicant is currently considered to be in good standing by that
creditor.
c. Write-offs/charge-offs of any federal or non-federal debts as uncollectible, or waiver of
any federal service or payment obligation.
d. Default on a prior service obligation to the federal government, a state or local
government, or other entity, even if the applicant subsequently satisfied that obligation
through service, monetary payment or other means.
e. Judgment liens arising from federal debt.
f. Failure/refusal to provide appropriate permission/consent for the NHSC to access the
scholar’s credit report and failure/refusal to unfreeze a frozen creditreport."
"

So when is the earliest we can know if we got awarded the scholarship?

Soooo here's some info from last year's thread, looks like the finalist notifications have gone out the 1st/2nd week of Aug with the exception of COVID year. Usually the site goes down a day or two before finalist notifs come out and there are multiple rounds of finalists. I think for the most part if you're chosen as a finalist you are 99% guaranteed the scholarship.

2022 timeline
-credit check 6/20
-site maintenance 8/6
-first finalist notifications 8/8

Previous Finalist Notifications
-2022: Monday, August 8
-2021: Monday, August 9
-2020: Wednesday, August 19
-2019: Tuesday, August 6
-2018: Wednesday, August 8
-2017: Friday, August 4
-2016: Wednesday, July 27
-2015: Tuesday, July 21

Reactions: 5 users
Following! Still nothing. No credit checks. Checked yesterday and the day before.

Soooo here's some info from last year's thread, looks like the finalist notifications have gone out the 1st/2nd week of Aug with the exception of COVID year. Usually the site goes down a day or two before finalist notifs come out and there are multiple rounds of finalists. I think for the most part if you're chosen as a finalist you are 99% guaranteed the scholarship.

2022 timeline
-credit check 6/20
-site maintenance 8/6

seems like it gets delayed every year

2022 timeline
-credit check 6/20
-site maintenance 8/6

Bless you for all this research

Every single recipient I know got notified in August.

2022 timeline
-credit check 6/20
-site maintenance 8/6

thank you for this!!!

So how do we know whether or not we got a credit check?

Members don't see this ad :)
So how do we know whether or not we got a credit check?
Check credit karma or any credit bureau that you are with. It should state that a hard inquiry was done. You credit score will also drop and i'm not talking by a point or 2. More like 15-20 if not more it depends.

Check credit karma or any credit bureau that you are with. It should state that a hard inquiry was done. You credit score will also drop and i'm not talking by a point or 2. More like 15-20 if not more it depends.
Wait what do you mean my credit score will drop?

I got a credit inquiry today but it says it’s from the Department of Education… is it more likely this was for Grad Plus Loan? Is the inquiry explicitly from NHSC?

Wait what do you mean my credit score will
Wait what do you mean my credit score will drop?
inquiries aren’t good for your credit. If you get an inquiry especially from the NHSC it’s considered a “hard inquiry” which would cause your credit score to drop. But it will eventually go back up overtime. Same with buying a house/car/etc…

I got a credit inquiry today but it says it’s from the Department of Education… is it more likely this was for Grad Plus Loan? Is the inquiry explicitly from NHSC?
That’s not from the NHSC. Thats for your grad plus loans. I got one too.

Hi current scholarship recipient here. Your credit check will show up as"NHSC LRP/SP/HRSA", and it'll be on your credit report for 2 yrs. Unless you plan if financing some large purchase in the coming months, it's not that dramatic of a drop IMO. My credit score is still around the same as it was 2 years ago when they did my credit check. My loan disbursements and credit card usage probably impacts my credit score more than this credit check did lol. Hope that helps

Reactions: 3 users
Hi current scholarship recipient here. Your credit check will show up as"NHSC LRP/SP/HRSA", and it'll be on your credit report for 2 yrs. Unless you plan if financing some large purchase in the coming months, it's not that dramatic of a drop IMO. My credit score is still around the same as it was 2 years ago when they did my credit check. My loan disbursements and credit card usage probably impacts my credit score more than this credit check did lol. Hope that helps
Wait I don't think I understand. Not every applicant gets a credit score check?

Wait I don't think I understand. Not every applicant gets a credit score check?
Nop. I'm a reapplicant. I didn't get a credit check last year. I believe most of the people that do end up getting it. That's why everyone is waiting.

FYI, the nhsc portal is down! Credit checks soon? Hopefully, everyone in this thread gets it!

Reactions: 9 users
nothing yet! what program is everyone in? i know this is under pre-medical, but i'm applying for dental.

They sure are taking their sweet time with credit checks this year huh 🤔

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone!

The NHSC app opened today. Didn't see a new thread for it so thought I'd start one myself. Is anybody else applying? Looks like they went from 3 essays to just 1 this year.
Has anyone heard back from the yet??

20 days past last year's credit checks, how are we feeling?

Just patiently waiting… of course I’m not checking this thread and my credit report every hour 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
im in the same boat. trying to stay positive

There's another nursing forum that also has their users waiting anxiously for their credit check. We're all in this together!

This year it seems they changed some pretty big things on this application, and announced they had increased resources for more scholarships.

Maybe they're trying to be more conservative with checking credit on finalist only.

Regardless it looks like we won't have much longer to wait for them to announce semi finalist at this rate hehe.

Reactions: 4 users
I recently got offered a spot to do a dual degree (masters & MD), does any know how dual degrees work with the scholarship?

- both degrees would be completed in four yrs at no additional tuition cost

I recently got offered a spot to do a dual degree (masters & MD), does any know how dual degrees work with the scholarship?

- both degrees would be completed in four yrs at no additional tuition cost
I asked during one of their Q&A sessions and they said they accepted it!

Not sure if this is significant, but the site is scheduled for maintenance tomorrow

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure if this is significant, but the site is scheduled for maintenance tomorrow
I believe they had site maintenance a day or two before initial notifications last year, but I’m not sure if it’s just a coincidence.

they're really taking their time this year. still nothing

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
This text got my hopes up today - thanks Disover 🥺

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230720_124217_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230720_124217_Messages.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 94
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
anything today for you guys? still under review after the maintenance /:

• Dislike
Have you seen anything on that nursing forum?

The nursing forum reported that some people were given credit checks late June /early July this year. They also stated that in previous years winners were credit checked in August and still were winners. Who knows.

The nursing forum reported that some people were given credit checks late June /early July this year. They also stated that in previous years winners were credit checked in August and still were winners. Who knows.
congrats!!! which program are you in?

Is the NHSC portal down for anyone else? Went on to check the status and the site is down.

do you happen to know what the nursing forum is called? trying to see what they have said

do you happen to know what the nursing forum is called? trying to see what they have said
The nursing forum I've found that I think everyone is talking about is for the Loan Repayment program, not the NHSC/HRSA Scholarship. I might be wrong, but I think that's a totally different application process/program. People applying for that are licensed providers and working currently, I believe. Hope this helps!

The nursing forum I've found that I think everyone is talking about is for the Loan Repayment program, not the NHSC/HRSA Scholarship. I might be wrong, but I think that's a totally different application process/program. People applying for that are licensed providers and working currently, I believe. Hope this helps!

There's also separate one titled "2023 HRSA Nurse Corps Scholarships" (edit the one I referenced earlier) but you're right, they are NOT the same NHSC scholarship programs as the one being discussed in the thread! My apologies for not being more clear. In past years the timelines have been simialr to the NHSC SP - but perhaps not this year.

I was going to do more research and check if the site maintaince days lined up with the notification of finalist it for the Loan Repayment program or the nursing scholarship program, but alas life got in the way.