Residency reciprocity overseas..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FairlyOrganic

Reaction score
Good morning, can anyone tell me about medical schools, either MD or DO, where there's options to do your residency in other countries - preferably not US or UK?
Also, would graduating a Caribbean MD program give you any easier reciprocity in foreign countries?

Yes yes, I do realize US and UK have higher pay and better technology. It won't make me feel ashamed of myself when American MD's joke, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what you mean by reciprocity. Residency is what you do AFTER medical school, so there is no reciprocity to grant. As far as a foreign residency program considering applications from American MDs or DOs, that would be entirely up to each program, and would have nothing to do with the schools.

It's an unusual question, because most people want to go to American medical schools in order to practice in America, and an American residency program is the next step in that process. If you want to go to a foreign residency program, why wouldn't you want to go to school in that country, since, after completing a foreign residency program, your options will be to either practice in that country or to try to come back to the US, and face the same obstacles, just like any other foreign physician (which is exactly what you will be after completing a foreign residency), the same as if you never attended school in the US at all?

And no, Caribbean medical schools are not designed to train foreign physicians (ironically, including those practicing in the Caribbean). They are set up to cater primarily to US and Canadian residents, whose goals are to go back to their home countries for residency and then practice. There is no "reciprocity" anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user