The Republic of Texas XLI: You'll Never Break A Horse if You Stay Sittin' on the Fence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I cant believe you are leaving HTown while everyone is making it here!
I know right!!? Hahaha!!! I gave McGovern a chance, but Dell chose me! I had such a hard time not ranking Dell #1, so this was such a relief and makes me feel like it worked out exactly as it was supposed to. My wife is so thrilled!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I know right!!? Hahaha!!! I gave McGovern a chance, but Dell chose me! I had such a hard time not ranking Dell #1, so this was such a relief and makes me feel like it worked out exactly as its was supposed to. My wife is so thrilled!!

Not to dox myself too much but I just drove by Dell’s campus and saw a couple of medical students walking to class before seeing your post !! That's going to be you this fall... You’re going to love it here :soexcited: !!!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how fast TX schools can offer WL positions to IS applicants? No match here.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Not to dox myself too much but I just drove by Dell’s campus and saw a couple of medical students walking to class before seeing your post !! That's going to be you this fall... You’re going to love it here :soexcited: !!!
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the love! This is so surreal! After their preview day, I fell in love with that place, but had the toughest time ranking em higher than McGovern because we live in Houston. I am so grateful that it worked out this way haha!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Tech was my number one choice, and I am so glad that I will get to spend my next four years in the panhandle. Those big city schools scare me :eek:

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I know right!!? Hahaha!!! I gave McGovern a chance, but Dell chose me! I had such a hard time not ranking Dell #1, so this was such a relief and makes me feel like it worked out exactly as it was supposed to. My wife is so thrilled!!
Bro, super excited for you! I was waffling between EnMed and Dell as my #1, ultimately chose EnMed after discussing with my spouse and closest friend.. However, I am sure Dell would have been amazing too. You are going to have a great time, I'm very happy for you!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
If you matched at your #3 ranked school, are you automatically waitlisted at your #1 and #2 choices?

Members don't see this ad :)
Except if I'm not mistaken, TTU Lubbock and TAMU only hand out WL decisions to certain interviewees. Not sure about other schools.

Bro, super excited for you! I was waffling between EnMed and Dell as my #1, ultimately chose EnMed after discussing with my spouse and closest friend.. However, I am sure Dell would have been amazing too. You are going to have a great time, I'm very happy for you!
I thought of you and was like, "Dangit, why didn't she choose Dell!?" Haha!! So happy for you! EnMed is gonna be so amazing, and you get to spend your time in the freaking TMC!! Dell is gonna be a hoot as well, though! Super excited about this opportunity! Congratulations to you and your family! I still owe you a PM reply. It's been beyond hectic on this side, but JI'll reach out very soon!

Welcome to the Longhorn family bro!!! I think you'll like it more than if you had stuck with the Agg*es to our east 😝😝
Thank you!! I had a great time at the Aggie prematch event, but Dell blew me away during every part of this lengthy admission process. Appreciate the love!!

• Love
well if any tcom ppl need friends i’ll be there doing the medsci masters 😭😭😭🫶

• Care
  • Love
No match here but proud of everyone who did! Hoping for some WL news soon 🥲

• Care
@MercifulCamper where did you and your partner end up (and how does your partner receiving a full ride from Harvard Med School) shake things up for you both? Congrats! Among the best applicants of SDN this year but no need to answer if y'all ain't comfortable

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Glad to have had all of you by my side throughout this application season. Wysdoc special thanks to you as well for all of your help!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Can schools see if you matched somewhere else and could that impact WL decisions?

Did you match to Dell, @CaptNemo ?
Nah, already part of the UT community (pls no dox). I decided to stick with Baylor since I was already prematched and they were the only ones in Texas to give a substantial amount of aid (might actually have chosen EnMed if all else had been equal). But once a Longhorn, always a Longhorn!
Relevant video:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Can schools see if you matched somewhere else and could that impact WL decisions?
All the cards are "face up on the table" now, so yes the TMDSAS schools know where you matched.
They could NOT see where you ranked them in your preference list though.

IF you get put on a WL, the schools can deduce that you matched at somewhere you had ranked lower than their school, so they do know you prefer them. It doesn't matter.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Hey y'all,

It's a busy/happy/sad/exciting/disappointing day around here.

Lots of questions are popping up about not matching, WLs, etc.

After the dust settles, in a few days I'll post a longer explanation about all the "what if"s".
For now, you could refer back to a prior year's Republic of Texas thread, or to the TMDSAS Guide itself for answers to those burning questions.

Reactions: 11 users
Just finished watching Curious George on PBS. It feels surreal how I watched it as a kid and how I just watched it before receiving news for the medical school I'll attend. I'm actually crying.

3A18D6E9-6481-4084-8232-4468E8D54E3A.jpeg

The fact that George is a doctor and also went to Baylor is too much of a coincidence 🤧

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else not received a transcript request email? I didn't receive one after prematching in December, and I didn't get one today even though I matched. Can they still be sent out later today or should I contact TMDSAS?

Has anyone else not received a transcript request email? I didn't receive one after prematching in December, and I didn't get one today even though I matched. Can they still be sent out later today or should I contact TMDSAS?
Same. I'm going to let the dust settle and deal with this on Monday if I don't hear from TMDSAS.

Does anyone know general how the waitlist movement for TMDSAS looks like?

Honestly I hate it already lol. I was hoping to be “done” by match day but now I gotta spend 72 days (yep I have the countdown going already) agonizing about waitlists :(

• Care
  • Okay...
Honestly I hate it already lol. I was hoping to be “done” by match day but now I gotta spend 72 days (yep I have the countdown going already) agonizing about waitlists :(
I think you should be proud of your accomplishments. A massive scholarship to UTMB is an absolute unreal achievement. I know it’s hard not to think about waitlists, but I would instead focus on your insane feats. Take it from a reapplicant, it could always be worse. You can fixate on things you can’t control or focus on what you do control. It seems clear you’ll become a phenomenal physician no matter where you go.

And please no reason to think about this now! I’m assuming you’re still on vacation so go out and explore the city!

• Care
Reactions: 17 users
Why 72 hours lol.
72 days* because I believe 05/15 is the last day that applicants holding at least one acceptance can be offered a seat by another med school

Why 72 hours lol.
May 15th is last day waitlist offers can be made to IS applicants already holding a match.

Thanks for the perspective folks. For context I’m in the middle of a grieving process and I apologize if it came out insensitive. Partner broke it off with me solely because of where I got in to med school. It’s not just a matter of school prestige or anything. Trying my hardest to be happy for my accomplishments but right now they are colored gray from the sadness :( Oh, said partner is the one I’m on vacation with so that’s been fun lol.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 18 users
May 15th is last day waitlist offers can be made to IS applicants already holding a match.

Thanks for the perspective folks. For context I’m in the middle of a grieving process and I apologize if it came out insensitive. Partner broke it off with me solely because of where I got in to med school. It’s not just a matter of school prestige or anything. Trying my hardest to be happy for my accomplishments but right now they are colored gray from the sadness :( Oh, said partner is the one I’m on vacation with so that’s been fun lol.
OMG worst vacation ever. I feel for you

• Care

Brutal. Can you go your separate ways and do your own thing on this vacation? Just life advice, don't let someone make you miserable in what should be an exciting time.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s a confusing time to be sure. We were close friends first and still are, and this trip has been wonderful in the context of friendship - going to nerdy places, taking silly photos of each other, the works. I’m still having a ton of fun. But in the moments where I pause and remember this person used to be the one I envisioned spending the future with and now that future is no longer there… man that hurts. We both were holding out hope for match day and although it was not explicitly stated we were breaking up, we knew that was the plan going into this vacation. So now it’s fifty shades of awkward.

Thanks for being my group therapy, SDN. You have all been wonderful this application season.

• Care
Reactions: 17 users
Status
Not open for further replies.