What do you look for when researching a prospective school's website?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

openstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've been spending hours using the MSAR and every tool imaginable to learn about schools and programs to apply to this cycle. My question is "What do you look for when researching a prospective school's website?"

Obviously the Mission, Curriculum, The Application Process, Data about matriculating students, and Match List. But what else? Are there any signs on a website that would give you pause? Things that pose a red flag when you see them?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if it would show online, but knowing the attendance policy was on my list of top priorities

I found a definite positive correlation between the organization of the website and how much admissions had their s*** together lol, a confusing website was a sure sign that interview scheduling was a nightmare

Besides that, I liked looking at "Why XSOM" pages if they had one, and watching their videos/looking at their social media to see what was going on in the community. Those things were nice to talk about with interviewers

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Course requirements, what letters of recommendation, etc. I always check against MSAR. Any extra data I can pick up.

I don't really care about the school's mission and curriculum because if I don't have a chance at getting into that school, those things don't matter. If that's the only school I get accepted into, that stuff doesn't matter. Sure it matters for actually applying to a specific school but as for choosing what schools to apply to that stuff has zero impact on my decision making.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if it would show online, but knowing the attendance policy was on my list of top priorities

I'm new to this - why? What does one policy show you vs another. You can PM if that would be more comfortable?

I'm new to this - why? What does one policy show you vs another. You can PM if that would be more comfortable?

Some students thrive outside of lecture, and mandatory attendance bothers those types of students.

Attendance policy, P/F, in-house exams vs standardized NBME questions, recorded lectures.

Pass/fail, first time board pass rates, avert step scores, match list, research opportunities, attendance policy, dedicated study period, PBL or traditional, record lectures

A flag might be a recent major change in school curriculum or administration, but really any flags would best be discussed with current students like during interviews or on here

Clinical rotation sites during M3-4. One of my must-haves was staying in the same city all 4 years and completing most of my rotations locally. For me personally, I also wanted a school with a decent class size (170-200) and location in a metropolitan area. Other than that, I wasn't too picky and learned a lot more during my interview days. But as someone above mentioned, be careful with every school you apply to since one of them may end up being your only acceptance

We've been spending hours using the MSAR and every tool imaginable to learn about schools and programs to apply to this cycle. My question is "What do you look for when researching a prospective school's website?"

Obviously the Mission, Curriculum, The Application Process, Data about matriculating students, and Match List. But what else? Are there any signs on a website that would give you pause? Things that pose a red flag when you see them?
I look for website organization/flow, research opportunities, volunteer opportunities/student orgs, clinics, curriculum/grading, where rotations will be (at home or neighboring hospitals), anything that school is particularly proud of

Reactions: 3 users
Mandatory attendance does not create an environment where all students are set up to succeed to the best of their abilities. As adult learners, we should be trusted to know how we learn/study best.

Adding Pass/Fail as others have as well. This will give you more efficiency when board study time comes around.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll add to the list specialty programs like dual-degrees if that interests you

Course requirements, what letters of recommendation, etc. I always check against MSAR. Any extra data I can pick up.

I don't really care about the school's mission and curriculum because if I don't have a chance at getting into that school, those things don't matter. If that's the only school I get accepted into, that stuff doesn't matter. Sure it matters for actually applying to a specific school but as for choosing what schools to apply to that stuff has zero impact on my decision making.

Lol I thought I was the only one who thought like this. Sure, it’s nice to go to a med school that fits your mission statement and all. But in the grand scheme of things, I just want a US MD/DO school. Getting in is the main thing

Lol I thought I was the only one who thought like this. Sure, it’s nice to go to a med school that fits your mission statement and all. But in the grand scheme of things, I just want a US MD/DO school. Getting in is the main thing
I agree choosing school lists should largely be based on msar and stats. When it comes down to interviewing, that's when you gotta care about curriculum and mission at least a little bit lol