2004 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herpeto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has received any feedback from schools regarding their applications? The only responses I have heard so far are from WSU and UPenn. WSU simply allowed me to log onto their website and view my application while UPenn asked for my GPA and animal interests. Interview invites should begin rolling in within a couple of weeks. I have also been informed of individuals that have already been invited to interview at KSU.

Herp

Members don't see this ad.

I have only received the secondary from Wisconsin so far. Someone on about.com has received an acceptance from Washington State. I know Minnesota is not notifying people about interviews til January 6th or so. Other than that, it's been very quiet.

You guys are so lucky!

I'm Canadian and the vet school that I applied to doesn't notify acceptance until the summer (Mid July at that). I'm gonna be in limbo until then--just consider yourselves lucky that you find out early!

Members don't see this ad :)
Shocker,
When was your application due? Does class matriculate in August of 2004? Why do they wait so long? Did you apply to schools in the states?

Herp

Final apps are due MAY 15th! the school set the deadline of June 15th as the last day they cam be in recipt of our transcripts! We find out in late June if we nave an interview. They hold them in mid-july, and we find out in late July wheither or not we get in. Classes start on September 8th--only leaves us a month to find a place to live--pretty crappy in itself.

One of the crumby parts about the vet schools in Canada is that, due to residency restrictions, I can't even apply to the other ones (there's 4 in total, but one's french). So basically, all my eggs are in one basket, which scares the bejesus out of me. I have no intentions of applying to a school in the states. I may, however apply to schools in Australia and New Zealand, but the costs incurred would be astronimical, and starting vets are payed poorly in Canada (st. @ 40,000 cdn=31,000 american--that's if I'm lucky). If I don't get in, I'll probably just continue working on the Dairy farm--I love the work and it's good experience.

Shocker,
You could always just stay and practice in the states. They would pay you considerably more. Have you thought of specializing?

Herp

I thought avout that too, but my heart lies in Canada. It's the best country in the world for me, and I really don't want to leave. I'm pretty confident I'll get in though--my boss this summer is pretty involved in the admissions process, plus I have good grades and tonnes of experience (especially large animal dairy). I'd love to specialize in food producing animal medicine upon graduation--mabe repro--that'll all be decided later. What're your plans?

As of right now I am just waiting for veterinary interview invites. I have selected NSU-COM, which is an osteopathic medical school in Florida. If not accepted anywhere else I shall be moving down there next summer and beginning my stint in human medicine. I am also waiting to hear from a couple of allopathic schools about interviews, decisions from three I already interviewed at and waiting to attend an interview in March. Other than that I am simply working and planning my wedding in Maui for this summer. I am eager to attend some veterinary interviews and see if I will be left with a decision this summer. If not, then I know where my life shall lead. If I do decide to attend veterinary school I will certainly specialize in surgery of small animal and exotics. Do you know if you can hold multiple acceptances and how long you can hold them? I know with medical school acceptances you can only hold multiple schools until May15th.

Herp

Herp,
I know if you receive an acceptance from CSU, you need to let them know whether or not you plan on attending by April 15th. The others I'm not too sure about.

Rejected from MSU today. Looks like my application is moving onto the next level of review at Purdue. They will notify those individuals of interviews selected from this new pool at the end of the month. Waiting on UPenn, WSU and CSU.

Herp

got waitlisted at Cornell and accepted at WSU, still waiting to hear from the others . . .

any other people waitlisted at Cornell? Will you be attending one of the info sessions? I am hoping to get the one in late Feb.

just got rejected from Minnesota the other day. +pity+

haven't heard from anywhere else. keeping my fingers crossed though.

Congratulations Astro on the acceptance and waitlist positions. Do you want to go to Cornell more?

Skibum,
It's alright; I didn't receive a secondary from MSU and haven't heard anything other than that Purdue is continuing with my application. It is still very early and we should hear some good news in a couple of weeks. I am hoping to hear from CSU with three weeks.

Herp

Thank you, Herpeto, I appreciate it! I hope that Purdue comes through-- I'm waiting to hear from CSU also, let's keep our fingers crossed!

Accepted 2/2/04 by OSU. Only school I applied to, so that's where I'll be going. Anybody else going there this fall?

Accepted at Michigan State today!!!:) :clap:

Best of luck at MSU CVM!!!