2023-2024 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am currently also unable to log in, so I'm guessing that it is currently down for everyone.
Thank you for trying!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup. It's not working. You can call the tech department and they can sort it out and get you a password reset

Feeling delusional about the website being down and hoping that my R from last night was a glitch 🤪

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Not yet but hopefully soon! I previously emailed Sam Jo Peterson, she runs the UME Student Affairs and Scholarships, and it took her maybe a week to get back to me. She told me that most of the scholarships had already been allocated but [email protected] is responsible for redispersing funding from students that don't ultimately accept so I think reach out to them and explain your circumstances and I am sure they will take it into consideration when thinking about reallocating funding :)
Did they ever respond to you? I emailed them about a week ago and haven’t gotten a response :/

Did they ever respond to you? I emailed them about a week ago and haven’t gotten a response :/
Sadly, I haven't had a response either and have also struggled to get into contact with the financial aid department because something happened with my FAFSA processing. I assume they are really overwhelmed right now trying to turn around financial aid packages before the April 30th decision deadline.

Sadly, I haven't had a response either and have also struggled to get into contact with the financial aid department because something happened with my FAFSA processing. I assume they are really overwhelmed right now trying to turn around financial aid packages before the April 30th decision deadline.
I called the financial aid department earlier today because I got the same notification about needing additional information. They said that we didn't do anything wrong but we now have to wait until the Dept. of Education reprocesses our stuff which won't happen until early May at the earliest. I asked to be sure but they said obviously because of this we will absolutely not have fin aid packages by 4/30...

I called the financial aid department earlier today because I got the same notification about needing additional information. They said that we didn't do anything wrong but we now have to wait until the Dept. of Education reprocesses our stuff which won't happen until early May at the earliest. I asked to be sure but they said obviously because of this we will absolutely not have fin aid packages by 4/30...
I got the same message and it's so odd...other programs that I am considering have had no issue with my FAFSA. I called them worried that something was going to delay my financial aid everywhere, but they said nothing was wrong :(

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know if the residency status on your offer letter is final/official? Is that something they would go back and change?
It’s not final! If you qualify for in-state they can send you an updated offer letter that you sign and return just like the original

Just got this email from OHSU SOM UME admissions.

“Good Afternoon,
We are writing to clarify the AMCAS CYMS “Plan to Enroll” and “Commit to Enroll” process, OHSU financial aid award, and UME scholarships.
We are aware that some medical schools have expectations or requirements related to the Plan to Enroll option, but we do not. The only CYMS requirement we have is our Commit to Enroll deadline of July 15.
The OHSU Financial Aid Office is currently working on awarding students. If you requested a financial aid packet through the Admissions Portal (OHSU School of Medicine MD Admissions Secondary Application Login), you should be receiving a notification from their office soon.
At this time, OHSU School of Medicine UME has awarded all available scholarships to incoming medical students. However, these scholarships may be reallocated to other incoming students if a scholarship recipient declines an offer. If you are selected by the Committee to receive a scholarship, you will be notified (no separate application is required).

For questions regarding financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at [email protected] or 503.494.7800.”

Just got this email from OHSU SOM UME admissions.

“Good Afternoon,
We are writing to clarify the AMCAS CYMS “Plan to Enroll” and “Commit to Enroll” process, OHSU financial aid award, and UME scholarships.
We are aware that some medical schools have expectations or requirements related to the Plan to Enroll option, but we do not. The only CYMS requirement we have is our Commit to Enroll deadline of July 15.
The OHSU Financial Aid Office is currently working on awarding students. If you requested a financial aid packet through the Admissions Portal (OHSU School of Medicine MD Admissions Secondary Application Login), you should be receiving a notification from their office soon.
At this time, OHSU School of Medicine UME has awarded all available scholarships to incoming medical students. However, these scholarships may be reallocated to other incoming students if a scholarship recipient declines an offer. If you are selected by the Committee to receive a scholarship, you will be notified (no separate application is required).

For questions regarding financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at [email protected] or 503.494.7800.”
Do you think this includes need based scholarships?

Do you think this includes need based scholarships?
Im not 100% sure but it kind of sounds like it.

Also im pretty sure they do give need based scholarships. I know someone currently attending that was awarded a need based scholarship.

I got an alternate list decision (top 50) about 30 minutes ago. Does anyone know about how many people are accepted off the alternate list every year?

Reactions: 2 users
I got an alternate list decision (top 50) about 30 minutes ago. Does anyone know about how many people are accepted off the alternate list every year?
They said they generally ultimately accept 250 a year or so for 150 slots. My guess is that in the top 50, you should have a solid chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is a spreadsheet that was posted in the forum a couple of years ago. It looks like last year OHSU got to 64 on the list but in 2021, it only got to 29. It's super variable year on year but top 40 seems to be a good spot generally.

Good luck!

Attachments

• OHSU MD Waitlist Trends_final version.xlsx
    8.2 KB · Views: 59
MSAR says ~50 are accepted off the waitlist as well.

Here is a spreadsheet that was posted in the forum a couple of years ago. It looks like last year OHSU got to 64 on the list but in 2021, it only got to 29. It's super variable year on year but top 40 seems to be a good spot generally.

Good luck!
This is great info! Does anyone have any data on / know about how much movement the MD/PhD-specific alternative list generally has?

This is great info! Does anyone have any data on / know about how much movement the MD/PhD-specific alternative list generally has?
+1 I also was recently waitlisted for the MD/PhD dual program.

high alternate list position yesterday, good luck to everyone in the hold pool/waitlist! Time to prep for a reapp next cycle

high alternate list and gonna have to re-apply I'm pretty sure. OHSU is my #1 and I want to be here. I want to re-apply again, as soon as possible and I have been working to gain clinical hours all year. Generally think I have a strong app. Can I re-apply again to OHSU even if I am still on the alternate list?

Also anyone know about re-using essays for primary and secondary apps? I wouldn't re-use all of them, but I felt really strongly about some and feel like re-writing about something else won't be as genuine/true to me. My secondary app for OHSU I mostly had really great essays (I think) and I was very passionate about them. Obv there's a little something I am missing, but any thoughts to if it would be bad to re-use essays?

high alternate list and gonna have to re-apply I'm pretty sure. OHSU is my #1 and I want to be here. I want to re-apply again, as soon as possible and I have been working to gain clinical hours all year. Generally think I have a strong app. Can I re-apply again to OHSU even if I am still on the alternate list?

Also anyone know about re-using essays for primary and secondary apps? I wouldn't re-use all of them, but I felt really strongly about some and feel like re-writing about something else won't be as genuine/true to me. My secondary app for OHSU I mostly had really great essays (I think) and I was very passionate about them. Obv there's a little something I am missing, but any thoughts to if it would be bad to re-use essays?

Devil's advocate here: What if your essays are what held you back? What if what sounded like really great essays to you put the admissions committee off in some way?

You've lived a year of life and theoretically have strengthened your application. Why would you reuse essays if you are trying to show the committee that you have grown since your last application?

I'm just a current student, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but it doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me.

I would reach out to Kari to ask for feedback, though. As I understand it, feedback is offered to anyone who interviewed and wants it, and I believe you can get it even if you're on the alternate list.

You can and should reapply to OHSU if you are already submitting your primary for next year. Since alternate means you haven’t matriculated, there’s no restrictions on re-applying or applying elsewhere for next year. If you get accepted with this cycle, all you have to do is withdraw your AMCAS application, as long as its status is not Under Review or Processing Complete. Note that you will not receive your $175 application fee back, but additional school fees are refunded as long as they have not passed application deadlines. reference

As Petey said, reusing or heavily recycling old essays is not a good idea, but you can certainly use the same topics and ideas as long as they are important to you and genuine. This time around (especially if you didn’t before), use the essay review services provided by SDN members for feedback.
OHSU keeps previous applications for 3 years - I would be extremely surprised if they did not review this year’s application for next year’s interview season.

Last edited:
Devil's advocate here: What if your essays are what held you back? What if what sounded like really great essays to you put the admissions committee off in some way?

You've lived a year of life and theoretically have strengthened your application. Why would you reuse essays if you are trying to show the committee that you have grown since your last application?

I'm just a current student, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but it doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me.

I would reach out to Kari to ask for feedback, though. As I understand it, feedback is offered to anyone who interviewed and wants it, and I believe you can get it even if you're on the alternate list.
Thanks for the advice! I guess I have heard mixed things about reusing essays though I think that's a totally valid point. I have already asked about feedback and hoping to hear soon and am ready to work on anything! I guess for my PS I don't feel like much can change? Certainly my story will remain, though I will definitely revise and maybe could convey bits of it differently.

My secondaries felt strong to me which is one reason I was thinking of reusing some, but the main reason was that I also felt like some prompts were like look back on your whole life and choose a moment to write about, and I don't feel like I have had any new life-changing experiences that beat out other topics I have addressed. For example, the hardest feedback I have ever received still might still stand.

My other thought was that I believe Dr. Cloutier said during that interview orientation stage that for reapplicants, the farther you make it through the cycle he was expecting less application change? I will absolutely be revising and rewriting, but curious if that was a big no no.

I suppose my best bet is revision and listening to the feedback I get. I have definitely grown and learned a lot this year though, and I really appreciate your thoughts!!!

You can and should reapply to OHSU if you are already submitting your primary for next year. Since alternate means you haven’t matriculated, there’s no restrictions on re-applying or applying elsewhere for next year. If you get accepted with this cycle, all you have to do is withdraw your AMCAS application, as long as its status is not Under Review or Processing Complete. Note that you will not receive your $175 application fee back, but additional school fees are refunded as long as they have not passed application deadlines. reference

As Petey said, reusing or heavily recycling old essays is not a good idea, but you can certainly use the same topics and ideas as long as they are important to you and genuine. This time around (especially if you didn’t before), use the essay review services provided by SDN members for feedback.
OHSU keeps previous applications for 3 years - I would be extremely surprised if they did not review this year’s application for next year’s interview season.
Thanks!!! I love the info about the logistics of reapplying and that's definitely great to know. I also appreciate the thoughts about reusing topics. I did not realize there was a review service with SDN and will take a look! From this cycle I believe we were told that reapplicants would definitely have their app side by side their previous year app to see what changed. I think that sticking with things that were really genuine or true, but revising and/or rewriting other things seems to be the consensus and I will get right on that.

I am bummed about not receiving acceptances, but DEVESTATED to have write more... I mean I will.. but it is dreadful

Thanks for the reply!!!! :)

I just received an A for MD/MPH. Interviewed in September and was never waitlisted

Reactions: 3 users
Does OHSU match scholarships? Has OHSU matched anyone’s scholarship here from another school ?

Does OHSU match scholarships? Has OHSU matched anyone’s scholarship here from another school ?
They said they occasionally do (during my interview info session), but they also have said they’ve already awarded all scholarships for now

As of 11:00 this morning!

IMG_0269.jpeg

• Love
Accepted off the alternate list!!!! :lol:
The portal now says accepted through number 24

• Love