2023-2024 Western Michigan (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They also sent me an email that they will send out virtual interviews after thanksgiving, but not that I would specifically get one. I think we all get diff emails depending on the stage we are at.
Did you get an email that you would get a phone interview invite or just that more are being sent out? I already had a phone interview so I don’t get those specific emails. Maybe they just haven’t sent it to you yet if they sent that email only to you. Because yeah, you schedule it in the portal

Members don't see this ad.

They also sent me an email that they will send out virtual interviews after thanksgiving, but not that I would specifically get one. I think we all get diff emails depending on the stage we are at.

I also got this email

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II received today, phone II mid August. N=1 but I submitted a letter of interest recently

OOS II received, phone interviewed late august, earliest interview slot was in January

Received the A call about 2 hours ago!!! OOS, LM 72, II on 11/17!

I’m a reapplicant and this is my first A so to say that I’m happy and relieved is an understatement😭

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone who already interviewed help me out? What was the group interview like- more MMI or is it a standard interview? Feel free to DM me!

Thanks!

OOS Phone Interview, completed 7/18. Anyone have any advice for the phone interview? Do they ask traditional questions?

OOS Phone Interview, completed 7/18. Anyone have any advice for the phone interview? Do they ask traditional questions?
From my experience, I felt that the phone interview was more serious/standardized as compared to the virtual interview. The phone interview really focused on the questions asked whereas the virtual interview felt very conversational and more of a "vibe check" rather than an actual interview. My guess is that they use the phone interview mainly to evaluate competencies (communication, service orientation, resilience, etc).

With that being said, for the phone interview, I would prepare by having some solid answers to typical job interview questions like "what is your greatest strength/weakness" or "tell me about a time you failed." I would also be prepared to share your thoughts on the medical field. And as others have mentioned both here and on Reddit, there are some questions that are more "unique" and require you to think on your feet. You can't really prepare for them but I personally found those questions fun to answer and I think they just want to see your thought process.

Another thing that I found helpful was to speak in an excited tone and smile throughout the interview (even though they can't see you). I think this helped with transmitting a positive energy through the phone and I think it got my interviewer to loosen up a little bit. During my prep, I read online from previous years that the phone interview was kind of awkward because the interviewers are supposed to be stoic and not give you any indication as to how they viewed your response. But for my phone interview, my interviewer conversed with me, sometimes responded with "excellent" or "great" after I finished talking, and even joked around a few times, which I wasn't expecting but I think was influenced by how I spoke to them from the moment I answered the call.

Finally, I highly recommend remembering/writing down your interviewer's name in the beginning and using their name in your responses as it makes the interview feel more personal and memorable. And definitely thank your interviewer for their time before ending the call.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions! More than happy to help!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Can someone who already interviewed help me out? What was the group interview like- more MMI or is it a standard interview? Feel free to DM me!

Thanks!
If you're referring to the group activity, it's not really like an MMI or a standard interview. You are assigned to a small group and they ask your group to work through a task together, so it's intended to assess how you communicate and work with others and I found it to be pretty fun and light hearted. Definitely go into it with an open mind and be receptive to other people's opinions and you'll do great!

From my experience, I felt that the phone interview was more serious/standardized as compared to the virtual interview. The phone interview really focused on the questions asked whereas the virtual interview felt very conversational and more of a "vibe check" rather than an actual interview. My guess is that they use the phone interview mainly to evaluate competencies (communication, service orientation, resilience, etc).

With that being said, for the phone interview, I would prepare by having some solid answers to typical job interview questions like "what is your greatest strength/weakness" or "tell me about a time you failed." I would also be prepared to share your thoughts on the medical field. And as others have mentioned both here and on Reddit, there are some questions that are more "unique" and require you to think on your feet. You can't really prepare for them but I personally found those questions fun to answer and I think they just want to see your thought process.

Another thing that I found helpful was to speak in an excited tone and smile throughout the interview (even though they can't see you). I think this helped with transmitting a positive energy through the phone and I think it got my interviewer to loosen up a little bit. During my prep, I read online from previous years that the phone interview was kind of awkward because the interviewers are supposed to be stoic and give you any indication as to how they viewed your response. But for my phone interview, my interviewer conversed with me and even joked around a few times, which I wasn't expecting but I think was due to how I spoke from the moment I answered the call.

Finally, I highly recommend remembering/writing down your interviewer's name in the beginning and using their name in your responses as it makes the interview feel more personal and memorable. And definitely thank your interviewer for their time before ending the call.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions! More than happy to help!
Did you send a thank you letter to your phone interviewer?

Does anyone have advice for those who completed their phone II back in the summer and still have not heard regarding a virtual interview? Anyone else been in a similar boat?

Does anyone have advice for those who completed their phone II back in the summer and still have not heard regarding a virtual interview? Anyone else been in a similar boat?
Only 450 of you will move forward to an official interview- see the link to admissions process in the first post of this thread.

Only 450 of you will move forward to an official interview- see the link to admissions process in the first post of this thread.
Thanks for the response, I am familiar with their process. Just was hoping to hear from either any of the current students there that were in a similar boat or from current applicants that were in a similar position but got a virtual II!

If I remember correctly, the phone interviewers are from a third party source, so I'm not sure it's even possible to send anything.
OK, thanks, I thought so too except they introduced themselves as from Western Michigan.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you send a thank you letter to your phone interviewer?
I did not but I also do not think that a thank you letter/email would’ve helped that much for the phone interview. The phone interviews are conducted by a third-party company so I think that expressing your thanks at the end of the interview is more than enough. I also wouldn’t bother to ask for a contact email for the phone interviewer but that’s just me!

But for the virtual interview, I sent thank you emails to everyone that I remember being involved in the interview day.

Did anyone else get a hand-written thank you postcard in the mail after interviewing from the adcoms? Such a nice touch wow

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else get a hand-written thank you postcard in the mail after interviewing from the adcoms? Such a nice touch wow
I also received one today! Haven't gotten anything like that from my other interviews, super thoughtful and appreciated.

Just got the A call! Interviewed 12/1

Reactions: 6 users
just got hit with the WL, interview was 12/1

just got the A, LM 69, secondary submitted 8/31, phone interview 9/21, interview 12/1

Got A ! OS LM72 interview 12/08

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Also, for those of you on the WL: I was interviewed on 10/13, was WL on 10/19, and got the A on 11/29 - things seem to be moving pretty fast regarding the waitlist, so don't lose hope!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Got A earlier in the day LM 70 interview 12/01!

Slowly losing hope in receiving a phone II from here...

Only 100 more Phone II's left according to the update email sent just now 🙃

They emailed me this morning that they will send more virtual interviews after New Years as they are taking a short break. They said they will send roughly 230 more virtual interviews and that they don't do silent rejections. If they decide to no longer consider you, they will let you know with an e-mail. Happy holidays everyone! :)

Also, for those of you on the WL: I was interviewed on 10/13, was WL on 10/19, and got the A on 11/29 - things seem to be moving pretty fast regarding the waitlist, so don't lose hope!
Stats?

Hello! I dont think anyone can answer this with any certainty, but would it be any good to submit my secondary now? 😅