2023-2024 Western Michigan (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you have an application that warrants being looked at over the thousands of individuals who applied early?
there are so, so many less passive aggressive ways of wording this…

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Do you have an application that warrants being looked at over the thousands of individuals who applied early?
yikes I’m well aware of that. I should’ve been more clear with my post, I’m only wondering how far into their interview process they’ve gotten. Anyways I’m just bored waiting for other responses and just thought of asking since I got the deadline reminder email today.

Good luck future physician :D

Reactions: 1 user
Late to the site, but I got OOS II on 11/1 and A on 12/13/23! I had my phone pre-interview offered on 10/24 and had the pre-interview itself on 10/27.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Merit scholarship received, got an email then phone call

Reactions: 1 users
Phone II this morning, complete 7/7/23, Update letter sent 1/1/24.

One hell of a shocker first thing in the morning and I doubt I'll be good enough, but I'll take the opportunities where I can get them lol.

think positive thoughts. they do think you ARE good enough or they would not have invited you. :) you got this!!
Phone II this morning, complete 7/7/23, Update letter sent 1/1/24.

One hell of a shocker first thing in the morning and I doubt I'll be good enough, but I'll take the opportunities where I can get them lol.

• Care
OOS virtual II, phone interview 12/4 :) very excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone getting any interview invites still?
as of Dec. 20 they said they had 230 more virtual interview invites to give out (the one after the phone interview). They also said they'd be closed until Jan2, which was only last week. I don't think they sent all 230 in just a few business days so I'd assume they have more to send out based on that :)

Hi - any advice for the 30 minute phone call?

I thought questions were sort of random so it’s difficult to prep for. Just make sure you know how to answer basic job interview questions and explain your answers well. There is also no penalty to take a second to think so don’t feel pressured to start answering right away.

Have there been any virtual interview days recently? On the WL and wondering when they’ll be making decisions again

Hi - any advice for the 30 minute phone call?
The phone pre-interview seems to me like it's more to showcase your personality at a glance, get a feel for how you think on your feet, and demonstrate how you explain your reasoning, so it's difficult to prepare for - there are a few more common questions for interviews related to self-awareness and self-reflection and how you interact with others, but there are a bunch of pretty nonstandard questions, so without having specific questions (and they ask different people different things, though some of the prompts get reused year to year), I wouldn't sweat preparing too much. I won't give you the questions they asked me, as they specifically say to not do that, but I do recommend you to a) be self-aware, b) be aware of developments in biomedicine outside of what you immediately work on, c) have some fun with the oddball questions, and d) be friendly and nice. Like with any interview, you're allowed to ask for a moment to think your answers through, and they encourage you to have pen and paper to coordinate that. The phone interviewers don't see the rest of your app, and both times I did it (this cycle and the last), they were really nice - it's not pulling teeth at all.

I will say they aren't going to ask anything along the lines of "why medicine?" or interrogate your desire to become a physician in the pre-interview - that's not its purpose, and it gets covered in every other part of the application anyway.

The phone pre-interview seems to me like it's more to showcase your personality at a glance, get a feel for how you think on your feet, and demonstrate how you explain your reasoning, so it's difficult to prepare for - there are a few more common questions for interviews related to self-awareness and self-reflection and how you interact with others, but there are a bunch of pretty nonstandard questions, so without having specific questions (and they ask different people different things, though some of the prompts get reused year to year), I wouldn't sweat preparing too much. I won't give you the questions they asked me, as they specifically say to not do that, but I do recommend you to a) be self-aware, b) be aware of developments in biomedicine outside of what you immediately work on, c) have some fun with the oddball questions, and d) be friendly and nice. Like with any interview, you're allowed to ask for a moment to think your answers through, and they encourage you to have pen and paper to coordinate that. The phone interviewers don't see the rest of your app, and both times I did it (this cycle and the last), they were really nice - it's not pulling teeth at all.

I will say they aren't going to ask anything along the lines of "why medicine?" or interrogate your desire to become a physician in the pre-interview - that's not its purpose, and it gets covered in every other part of the application anyway.
super helpful - Thank you! Mind sharing after the phone interview how long did it take them to schedule an II?

super helpful - Thank you! Mind sharing after the phone interview how long did it take them to schedule an II?
I got an invitation to interview 5 days after the phone pre-interview and 8 days after I was invited to the phone pre-interview. They moved pretty quickly for me, but that said, n = 1.

The interview definitely felt like they wanted to see how you think and deal with spontaneous questions/situations. I answered honestly in mine and my interviewer made comments after my responses that made it seem like they were looking for certain answers. My phone interview was on 12/5/23 and I haven't heard anything, but then again I did not feel good about it once it was over.

• Hmm
Sharing late but phone interview 9/29, OOS II on 1/10, interviewing in early Feb!

Reactions: 2 users
+1 OOS Virtual II for 2/16! So excited :) My phone interview was 8/22

Anyone know anything about the post-II acceptance rate here?

Hello, does anyone have any advice for the virtual interview?