2023-2024 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A publication and new clinical job sounds like a pretty big deal, just send it

The clinical job and pub was the first update. The second one would just be an additional pub, but in a larger journal, still worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What’s the general consensus on a second update letter? I sent an update in early October regarding a new clinical job as well as a publication. I recently had another publication in a larger journal and was thinking of sending an update but didn’t want to seem like I was badgering the adcom(Pre-II btw)
I didn't hear anything from UVA so I sent an update mid October, and got an II 1 mo later, but maybe just a coincidence

I didn't hear anything from UVA so I sent an update mid October, and got an II 1 mo later, but maybe just a coincidence
Same- I heard from them on my second update too about 2 weeks later

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG CRYING SCREAMING THROWING UP!! After months of silence and countless rejections... IS II!!! AHHHHH.

LM 71, complete mid August, and they're scheduling for mid February (Feb 14-Feb 21)

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
II omggg!! IS, complete 8/2/23.

I scheduled a late Feb interview. Anyone have an idea of how soon after they might give results following a late interview?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
II omggg!! IS, complete 8/2/23.

I scheduled a late Feb interview. Anyone have an idea of how soon after they might give results following a late interview?
I interviewed last week, they told me week of. I'm guessing there will do the same (end of week, or end of following week)

Congrats everyone!!! IS II today, LM 74 :) I saw a table with data pulled from USNWR that said something like 87.5% IS Post-II A (and a bit less for OOS), while UVA SoM's website says ~300 students are accepted of ~650 interviewed, a dramatic difference. Anyone have an explanation for the discrepancy?
This is a question that is often asked but so far, the consensus is that the USNWR data is correct.

My personal theory is that since UVA admits so many high-stats applicants, these students often end up matriculating at other top schools (T10s and such). This requires UVA to admit a lot more students to fill their class.

people who have interviewed, how was it? any tips?

+1 .

Also would love to hear how people prepared for this interview. My first open-file so not sure how to approach it compared to close-file.

I know this won't help everyone but maybe there is some good information in this somewhere..

I prepared for this interview technically when the cycle began before I had my first interview of the cycle (sometime in August). That included reading up on all the common questions, and recording myself giving brief, but reflecting answers for all of the questions. Watching for pauses and stutters. Then I did like 2 mock interviews with friends. Nothing too crazy.

After that, I had like 10 interviews before I did UVAs, so I guess they were all the best form of practice. With that said, the time I had from my last interview to UVA was like 2 months, so I took some time off. Therefore, I reviewed my common answers again, made sure I knew my primary/secondary application answers, and looked up my interviews.

tl;dr + extras
- Be ready to answer the common questions (some get asked at UVA)
- Record yourself to see how you do answering said questions
- Do a few low-pressure mock interviews and get feedback
- Review your primary/secondary app (I think one of my interviewers opened w/ ref to my application)
- Smile
- Be nice and positive even if they ask a question to force you to be negative
- Look up stuff about the school (UVA has a lot of short youtube videos about the school and CVille)

Some more points
- The UVA interviews are SHORT, so you won't be in the hot seat for long, BUT have good questions to ask the interviewers.
- At worst, it's a 50% POST II acceptance rate, at best it's 80%. So don't stress. Also, the statistic doesn't matter since you are in fact the individual.
- Everyone was super nice during my interview day intro, and my interviewers were also amazing. That will help you destress.
- As with all my interviews, there's thing the interviews just didn't ask about or cared about. I have a lot of things in my application. Reviewing and asking about all of it would take 2-3 hours. They ask 20 minutes of questions. Don't be alarmed if they don't ask about your research!

Feel free to ask something else here if I didn't address!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this won't help everyone but maybe there is some good information in this somewhere..

I prepared for this interview technically when the cycle began before I had my first interview of the cycle (sometime in August). That included reading up on all the common questions, and recording myself giving brief, but reflecting answers for all of the questions. Watching for pauses and stutters. Then I did like 2 mock interviews with friends. Nothing too crazy.

After that, I had like 10 interviews before I did UVAs, so I guess they were all the best form of practice. With that said, the time I had from my last interview to UVA was like 2 months, so I took some time off. Therefore, I reviewed my common answers again, made sure I knew my primary/secondary application answers, and looked up my interviews.

tl;dr + extras
- Be ready to answer the common questions (some get asked at UVA)
- Record yourself to see how you do answering said questions
- Do a few low-pressure mock interviews and get feedback
- Review your primary/secondary app (I think one of my interviewers opened w/ ref to my application)
- Smile
- Be nice and positive even if they ask a question to force you to be negative
- Look up stuff about the school (UVA has a lot of short youtube videos about the school and CVille)

Some more points
- The UVA interviews are SHORT, so you won't be in the hot seat for long, BUT have good questions to ask the interviewers.
- At worst, it's a 50% POST II acceptance rate, at best it's 80%. So don't stress. Also, the statistic doesn't matter since you are in fact the individual.
- Everyone was super nice during my interview day intro, and my interviewers were also amazing. That will help you destress.
- As with all my interviews, there's thing the interviews just didn't ask about or cared about. I have a lot of things in my application. Reviewing and asking about all of it would take 2-3 hours. They ask 20 minutes of questions. Don't be alarmed if they don't ask about your research!

Feel free to ask something else here if I didn't address!
This is so so so helpful thank u, ur amazing!

Since UVA gives u the names of ur interviewers a little bit before your interview, did you mention anything about your interviewer’s background/speciality/experiences that u researched beforehand or is that weird lmao

IS Acceptance!! Interviewed 1/17. LM 69. I feel like its a prank!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
This is so so so helpful thank u, ur amazing!

Since UVA gives u the names of ur interviewers a little bit before your interview, did you mention anything about your interviewer’s background/speciality/experiences that u researched beforehand or is that weird lmao

I don't think I would comment on it directly unless it comes up, but I would still use it to your advantage.

For example, don't just say, "Hi Dr. X, it's so cool that you are a urologist working who went to school at JSOM because my grandfather went there too" -- that's a bit much. But, if you know they are a urologist, you could talk more about the surgical shadowing experience (if it comes up) over some more medicine stuff, and see if that strikes a better conversation. Little subtle things that will let you steer a conversation better!

Can any current students DM me with information about need-based financial aid? I've seen the website, but I'd like to know how common they are/ how much students in different income brackets receive.

Can any current students DM me with information about need-based financial aid? I've seen the website, but I'd like to know how common they are/ how much students in different income brackets receive.
I'm also super curious!!

Wishing for an OOS II 🙏 pleaaaaase

Reactions: 5 users
IS A. So happy and so excited - probably will end up going here b/c of cost and C'ville is so wonderful!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
OOS WL this afternoon :( interviewed on 1/23 - congrats to all the A’s!!

ppl who interviewed: is it open file? did the grill you on your essays?

ppl who interviewed: is it open file? did the grill you on your essays?
yes it’s open file! they’ll just want talk to you about the experiences they found interesting on your file but no grilling

is ii pls

+1 but losing hope. Not a single IS II from any school which has been the most puzzling thing for me this cycle. Maybe I didn’t emphasize ties as much as I should have idk

+1 but losing hope. Not a single IS II from any school which has been the most puzzling thing for me this cycle. Maybe I didn’t emphasize ties as much as I should have idk
welcome to virginia, all OOS friendly and hitting that 51% IS minimum and nothing more

Reactions: 3 users
I've gotten alot of love from Virginia schools as an in-state student and I'll say that they definitely do value ties a lot. I sent in letters of interest emphasizing my past work with both UVA & VCU which they seemed to really like. I highly recommend sending in LOIs if you're able to do that for these two schools.

I've gotten alot of love from Virginia schools as an in-state student and I'll say that they definitely do value ties a lot. I sent in letters of interest emphasizing my past work with both UVA & VCU which they seemed to really like. I highly recommend sending in LOIs if you're able to do that for these two schools.

I really appreciate the insight! Congrats on a successful cycle!

In-state as well and on the waitlist currently. Do you know if it would be useful to send a letter of interest now, or should I wait til later in late March-mid April when WL movement starts happening?

fair enough but you also have 8 IIs and 4 As, your application is s-tier. I have very strong ties to UVA.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
In-state as well and on the waitlist currently. Do you know if it would be useful to send a letter of interest now, or should I wait til later in late March-mid April when WL movement starts happening?
I'm sorry I don't know much about their alternate list but maybe someone else here can help with that. I would also read past threads because they have a lot of information about their WL.

But with my limited knowledge, I don't see the harm in sending one now. Unless you anticipate that you'll have major updates by late March

In case anyone was curious, I called and they said it doesn't matter (timeline-wise). Will probably wait for all my March decisions to send an LOI if i'm not accepted anywhere

OOS II earlier!!! Kind of can't believe it!! Submitted an update 10/14. LM 75.

Reactions: 4 users
Do they accept thank you letters? where can i send them?

Congratulations to both of you!!! Just out of curiosity, how far out are they currently scheduling interviews? Still late February or have they started to move into March already?
late February, up to the last week